The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.This paper was presented at the 2005 American Psychiatric Association Annual Meeting in Atlanta, GA, on May 23, 2005.
Using the Patient Health Questionnaire-9 to Measure Depression among Racially and Ethnically Diverse Primary Care Patients
Article first published online: 31 MAY 2006
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 21, Issue 6, pages 547–552, June 2006
How to Cite
Huang, F. Y., Chung, H., Kroenke, K., Delucchi, K. L. and Spitzer, R. L. (2006), Using the Patient Health Questionnaire-9 to Measure Depression among Racially and Ethnically Diverse Primary Care Patients. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 21: 547–552. doi: 10.1111/j.1525-1497.2006.00409.x
- Issue published online: 31 MAY 2006
- Article first published online: 31 MAY 2006
- Manuscript received June 20, 2005Initial editorial decision September 9, 2005Final acceptance December 8, 2005
- 9Identifying depression in primary care: a literature synthesis of case-finding instruments. Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2002;24:225–37., , , et al.
- 12MacArthur Foundation Depression in Primary Care Initiative http://www.depression-primarycare.org.
- 17Validity of the CIDI Probe flow chart for depression in Chinese American Women. Transcultural Psychiatry. 2002;39:434–51.
- 22U.S. Census Bureau. Overview of Race and Hispanic Origin: Census 2000 Brief. Washington, DC: U.S. Census Bureau; 2002.
- 23U.S. Census Bureau. The Asian and Pacific Islander Population in the United States: March 2000 (Update). Washington, DC: U.S. Census Bureau; 2001.
- 24U.S. Census Bureau. Projections of the resident population by race, Hispanic origin, and nativity: Middle series, 2001 to 2005. Washington, DC: U.S. Census Bureau; 2000.
- 25The International Assessment of Health-related Quality of Life: Theory, Translation, Measurement, and Analysis. Oxford: Rapid Communications; 1995.,
- 27Instructionally sensitive psychometrics: application of a new IRT-based detection technique to mathematics achievement test items. J Educ Meas. 1991;28:1–22., ,
- 28The application of electronic computers to factor analysis. Educ Psychol Meas. 1960;20.
- 29Mplus User's Guide. Los Angeles, CA: Muthen & Muthen; 1998–2004.,
- 36Consensus statement on transcultural issues in depression and anxiety from the International Consensus Group on Depression and Anxiety. J Clin Psychiatry. 2001; 13 (suppl 62):47–55., , , et al.
- 37Somatization: the interconnections in Chinese society among culture, depressive experiences, and the meanings of pain In: KleinmanA, GoodB, eds. Culture and Depression: Studies in the Anthropology and Cross-Cultural Psychiatry of Affect and Disorder. Berkeley: University of California Press; 1985., .