The authors have no conflicts of interest to disclose.
Perceived Discrimination and Use of Preventive Health Services
Article first published online: 31 MAY 2006
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 21, Issue 6, pages 553–558, June 2006
How to Cite
Trivedi, A. N. and Ayanian, J. Z. (2006), Perceived Discrimination and Use of Preventive Health Services. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 21: 553–558. doi: 10.1111/j.1525-1497.2006.00413.x
Preliminary results from this study were presented at the 2004 Society of General Internal Medicine Annual Meeting in Chicago, IL, and the 2004 Academy Health Annual Research Meeting in San Diego, CA.
- Issue published online: 31 MAY 2006
- Article first published online: 31 MAY 2006
- Manuscript received September 2, 2005Initial editorial decision November 17, 2005Final acceptance January 4, 2006
- 2Institute of Medicine. Coverage Matters: Insurance and Health Care. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 2001.
- 6SmedleyBD, StithAY, NelsonAR, eds. Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 2002.
- 7Collins Dictionary of Sociology. 2nd edn. Glasgow, UK: HarperCollins; 1995.,
- 9Discrimination and health. In: BerkmanL, KawachiI, eds. Social Epidemiology. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2000:36–75.
- 15The schedule of racist events: a measure of racial discrimination and study of its negative physical and mental health consequences. J Black Psychol. 1996;22:144–68.,
- 16Racial differences in physical and mental health: socioeconomic status, stress, and discrimination. J Health Psychol. 1997;2:335–51., , ,
- 22California Health Interview Survey. Technical paper no 1. Available at: http://www.chis.ucla.edu/pdf/2001_response_representativeness.pdf. Accessed December 9, 2005.
- 23Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System. Technical information and data. 2004 summary data quality report. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/brfss/technical_infodata/2004QualityReport.htm. Accessed December 9, 2005.
- 24U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Aspirin for the primary prevention of cardiovascular events: recommendations and rationale. Ann Intern Med. 2002;136:157–60.
- 25Aspirin for the primary prevention of cardiovascular events: a summary of the evidence for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Ann Intern Med. 2002;136:157–60., , ,
- 27Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Prevention and control of influenza: recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). MMWR Recomm Rep. 2003;52:1–36.
- 29CHIS 2001 Methodology Series. Report 2. Data collection methods. Available at: http://www.chis.ucla.edu/pdf/CHIS2001_method2.pdf. Accessed December 9, 2005.
- 34National Center for Health Statistics. Health, United States, 2004 with Chartbook on Trends in the Health of Americans. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office; 2004.
- 38Kaiser Family Foundation. State Health Facts. Available at: http://www.statehealthfacts.org. Accessed December 6, 2005.
- 39BlankRM, DabadyM, CitroCF, eds. Measuring Racial Discrimination. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 2004.