The Meaning and the Measure of Health Literacy
Version of Record online: 12 JUL 2006
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 21, Issue 8, pages 878–883, August 2006
How to Cite
Baker, D. W. (2006), The Meaning and the Measure of Health Literacy. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 21: 878–883. doi: 10.1111/j.1525-1497.2006.00540.x
- Issue online: 12 JUL 2006
- Version of Record online: 12 JUL 2006
- 2Ad Hoc Committee on Health Literacy. Health literacy: report of the council on scientific affairs. JAMA. 1999;281:552–7.
- 3Institute of Medicine. Health Literacy: A Prescription to End Confusion. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2004.
- 4Literacy and Health Outcomes. Evidence Report/Technology Assessment No. 87. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; 2004., , , et al.
- 5U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Healthy People 2010: Understanding and Improving Health. Chapter 11. 2nd edn. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office; 2000.
- 7American College of Physicians. Downloadable Patient Health Care Information. Available at: http://www.doctorsforadults.com/download.htm?dfa. Accessed April 1, 2006.
- 8Adult Literacy in America: A First Look at the Results of the National Adult Literacy Survey. Washington, DC: National Center for Education, U.S. Department of Education; 1993., , ,
- 15Biostatistics: A Methodology for the Health Sciences. New York, NY: John Wiley and Sons; 1993.,
- 16WRAT-R, Wide Range Achievement Test, Administration Manual, Revised Edition. Wilmington, DE: Jastak Assessment Systems; 1984.,
- 22Educational Testing Service. Test content for health activities literacy tests. Available at: http://www.ets.org/etsliteracy/. Accessed April 1, 2006.
- 31Quick assessment of literacy in primary care: the newest vital sign. Ann Fam Med. 2005;3:514–22., , , et al.
- 34Screening items to identify patients with limited health literacy skills. J Gen Intern Med. 2006;21:874–7., , , ,