No conflicts of interest.
Impacts of Evidence-Based Quality Improvement on Depression in Primary Care: A Randomized Experiment
Version of Record online: 7 JUL 2006
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 21, Issue 10, pages 1027–1035, October 2006
How to Cite
Rubenstein, L. V., Meredith, L. S., Parker, L. E., Gordon, N. P., Hickey, S. C., Oken, C. and Lee, M. L. (2006), Impacts of Evidence-Based Quality Improvement on Depression in Primary Care: A Randomized Experiment. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 21: 1027–1035. doi: 10.1111/j.1525-1497.2006.00549.x
- Issue online: 4 SEP 2006
- Version of Record online: 7 JUL 2006
- Manuscript received February 02, 2005Initial editorial decision April 25, 2005Final acceptance April 18, 2006
- 1Institute of Medicine. Crossing the Quality Chasm: A New Health System for the 21st Century. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 2001.
- 2Institute for the Future. Health and Health Care 2010: The Forecast, the Challenge. 2nd edn. New York: John Wiley & Sons; 2002.
- 4Depression Guideline Panel. Clinical Practice Guideline, Depression in Primary Care: Vol. 1. Detection and Diagnosis (AHCPR Publication No. 93-0550). Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service Agency for Health Care Policy and Research; 1993.
- 5Depression Guideline Panel. Clinical Practice Guideline, Depression in Primary Care: Vol. 2. Treatment of Major Depression (AHCPR Publication No. 93-0551). Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service Agency for Health Care Policy and Research; 1993.
- 16Collaborative care management of late-life depression in the primary care setting: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2002;288:2836–45., , , et al.
- 18Explorations in Quality Assessment and Monitoring. Vol. I: The Definition of Quality and Approaches to its Assessment. Ann Arbor, MI: Health Administration Press; 1980.
- 23Continuous Quality Improvement in Health Care. 2nd edn. Gaithersburg, MD: Aspen; 1999.,
- 27A CQI intervention to change the care of depression: a controlled study. Eff Clin Pract. 2001;4:239–49., , , et al.
- 31Quasi-Experimentation: Design and Analysis Issues for Field Settings. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company; 1979.
- 33Agency for Health Care Policy and Research. Clinical Practice Guideline: Quick Reference Guide for Clinicians. AHCPR Publication No. 93-0552. Rockville, MD: Agency for Health Care Policy and Research; 1993.
- 35Design and Implementation of Evidence-based Quality Improvement for Depression in the Mental Health Awareness Project: Background, Methods, Evaluation, and Manuals, MR1699-NIMH. Santa Monica: RAND Corporation; 2003., , , et al.
- 37Depression Patient Outcomes Research Team (PORT-II). Partners in care (PIC) tool for an integrated approach to improving care for depression in primary care. Available at: http://www.rand.org/health/pic.products/. Accessed February 3, 2006. 2003.
- 41World Health Organization. Composite International Diagnostic Interview (CIDI) Core Version 2.1 Interviewer's Manual. Geneva: World Health Organization; 1997.
- 46SF-12: How to Score the SF-12 Physical and Mental Health Summary Scales. Boston, MA: The Health Institute, New England Medical Center; 1995., ,
- 50Biostatistics: A Methodology for the Health Sciences. 2nd edn. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley-Interscience; 2004., , ,
- 53Improving recognition of depression in primary care: a study of evidence-based quality improvement. Jt Comm J Qual Safety. 2004;30:80–88., , ,
- 61Failure of a continuous quality improvement intervention to increase the delivery of preventive services: a randomised trial. Eff Clin Pract. 2000;3:105., , , et al.