A Self-Determination Multiple Risk Intervention Trial to Improve Smokers' Health
Article first published online: 25 SEP 2006
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 21, Issue 12, pages 1288–1294, December 2006
How to Cite
Williams, G. C., McGregor, H., Sharp, D., Kouides, R. W., Lévesque, C. S., Ryan, R. M. and Deci, E. L. (2006), A Self-Determination Multiple Risk Intervention Trial to Improve Smokers' Health. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 21: 1288–1294. doi: 10.1111/j.1525-1497.2006.00621.x
- Issue published online: 25 SEP 2006
- Article first published online: 25 SEP 2006
- Manuscript received September 28, 2005Initial editorial decision December 22, 2005Final acceptance August 15, 2006
- 2Intrinsic Motivation and Self-Determination in Human Behavior. New York: Plenum Press; 1985.,
- 4Self-Determination Theory in the Clinic: Motivating Physical and Mental Health. New Haven: Yale University Press; 2003., ,
- 10Treating Tobacco Use and Dependence. Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS); 2000., , , et al.
- 17Self-Efficacy: The Exercise of Control. New York: WH Freeman; 1997.
- 20National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP). Cholesterol Lowering in the Patient with Coronary Heart Disease: Physician Monograph. NIH Publication No. 97-3794. Bethesda, MD: Institutes of Health, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; 1997.
- 21Public Health Service, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. You Can Quit Smoking. Consumer Guide. ISSN-1530-6402. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.; 2000. Available at: http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/tobacco/conquits.htm.
- 22American Dietetic Association. The New Cholesterol Countdown. Chicago: The American Dietetic Association; 1997.
- 24U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. The Benefits of Smoking Cessation: A Report From the Surgeons General. Publication No. (CDC) 90-8416. Atlanta, GA: U.S. Department of Human Services, Public Health Service, Centers for Disease Control, Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health; DHHS; 1990.
- 25Smoking Cessation. Clinical Practice Guideline No. 18. Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Agency for Health Care Policy and Research; 1996., , , et al.
- 31SPSS Inc. Computer program, Version 12.0. Chicago: SPSS Inc; 2003.
- 34Principles of Biomedical Ethics. 5th edn. New York: Oxford University Press; 2001.,
- 35ABIM Foundation, ACP-ASIM Foundation, European Federation of Internal Medicine. Medical professionalism in the new millennium: a physician charter. Ann Intern Med. 2002;136:243–6.
- 36Promoting informed choice: transforming health care to dispense knowledge for decision making. Ann Intern Med 2005:293–300., , , et al.