*Current address: North American HIV Collaborative Studies, Infectious Diseases Medicine Development Center, GlaxoSmithKline, Research Triangle Park, NC, USA.
Modeling the Effects of Spirituality/Religion on Patients' Perceptions of Living with HIV/AIDS
Version of Record online: 30 OCT 2006
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 21, Issue S5, pages S28–S38, December 2006
How to Cite
Szaflarski, M., Neal Ritchey, P., Leonard, A. C., Mrus, J. M., Peterman, A. H., Ellison, C. G., McCullough, M. E. and Tsevat, J. (2006), Modeling the Effects of Spirituality/Religion on Patients' Perceptions of Living with HIV/AIDS. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 21: S28–S38. doi: 10.1111/j.1525-1497.2006.00646.x
The authors have no conflicts of interest to report.
An earlier version of this paper was presented at the 2005 Annual Meeting of the American Sociological Association in Philadelphia, PA, USA.
- Issue online: 30 OCT 2006
- Version of Record online: 30 OCT 2006
- 2Fading Away: the Experience of Transition in Families with Terminal Illness. Amityville: Baywood; 1995., , , .
- 7Negative Religious Coping Predicts Mortality Among the Medically Ill. Annual Meeting of the American Psychological Association. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association; 2000., , .
- 8Religious coping among the religious: the relationships between religious coping and well-being in a national sample of Presbyterian clergy, elders, and members. J Sci Study Religion. 2001;40:497–514., , ,
- 9Research on religion-accommodative counseling: review and meta-analysis. J Counsel Psychology. 1999;46:1–7.
- 13Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. HIV/AIDS among Hispanics in the United States. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/pubs/facts/hispanic.htm. Accessed June 26, 2004.
- 21The Lives of Men and Women with HIV. Chicago: Ivan R. Dee; 1997.
- 22World Health Organization. Adherence to Long-Term Therapies: Evidence for Action. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2003.
- 23The Continuing Challenge of AIDS: Clergy Responses to Patients, Friends, and Families. Westport: Auburn House; 2002.,
- 25Modeling the Relationship Between Quality of Life Dimensions and an Overall Sense of Well Being. New York: Third World Congress of Psycho-oncology; 1996., ,
- 29Confirmatory Factor Analysis for Applied Research. New York: Guilford Press; 2006.
- 34Self-reported adherence to antiretroviral medications among participants in HIV clinical trials: the AACTG adherence instruments. Patient Care Committee & Adherence Working Group of the Outcomes Committee of the Adult AIDS Clinical Trials Group (AACTG). AIDS Care. 2000;12:255–66., , , et al.
- 35Measuring the functional components of social support. In: SarasonI, SarasonB, eds. Social Support: Theory, Research and Applications. The Hague: Martinus Nijhoff; 1985:73–94., , ,
- 36Measuring Social Psychological Attitudes. Ann Arbor: Institute for Social Research; 1969.,
- 38Principles and Practice of Structural Equation Modeling. 2nd ed. New York: Guilford Press; 2005.
- 39Multiple Regression in Behavioral Research: Explanation and Prediction. 3rd ed. Fort Worth: Harcourt Brace College Publishers; 1997.
- 48Adaptation to Changing Health: Response Shift in Quality-of-Life Research. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association; 2000.,
- 53Association of American Medical Colleges. Report III of the medical school objectives project. Contemporary issues in medicine: communication in medicine; 1999.
- 55JCAHO. Spiritual Assessments. Available at: http://www.jointcommission.org/AccreditationPrograms/HomeCare/Standards/FAQs/Provision+of+Care/Assessment/Spiritual_Assessment.htm. Accessed August 10, 2006.