Soil Organism and Plant Introductions in Restoration of Species-Rich Grassland Communities
Article first published online: 3 JAN 2008
© 2007 Society for Ecological Restoration International
Volume 17, Issue 2, pages 258–269, March 2009
How to Cite
Kardol, P., Bezemer, T. M. and Van Der Putten, W. H. (2009), Soil Organism and Plant Introductions in Restoration of Species-Rich Grassland Communities. Restoration Ecology, 17: 258–269. doi: 10.1111/j.1526-100X.2007.00351.x
- Issue published online: 5 MAR 2009
- Article first published online: 3 JAN 2008
- 1999. Constraints in the restoration of ecological diversity in grassland and heathland communities. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 14:63–68. , and .
- 1995. Nutrient dynamics during restoration of fen meadows by haymaking without fertilizer application. Pages 143–166 in B. D.Wheeler, S. C.Shaw, W. J.Fojt, and R. A.Robertsen, editors. Restoration of temperate wetlands. John Wiley and Sons Ltd, Chichester, United Kingdom. , and .
- 2001. Handboek Natuurdoeltypen. 2nd edition. Expertisecentrum LNV, Wageningen, The Netherlands. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Soil carbon addition controls weeds and facilitates prairie restoration. Ecological Applications 13:605–615. , , and .
- 1999. Nematode community structure as a bioindicator in environmental monitoring. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 14:224–228. , and .
- 1992. Secondary plant succession—how is it modified by insect herbivory. Vegetatio 101:3–13. , and .
- 1998. Community translocation in Britain: setting objectives and measuring consequences. Biological Conservation 84:199–214. .
- 2003. Soil fauna and plant community interactions in relation to secondary succession and diversity. Ph.D. thesis. Netherlands Institute of Ecology, Heteren, The Netherlands.
- 2004. Plant community development is affected by nutrients and soil biota. Journal of Ecology 92:824–834. , , and .
- 2003. Soil invertebrate fauna enhances grassland succession and diversity. Nature 422:711–713. , , , , , , , and .
- 2003. Nested spatial biodiversity patterns of nematode genera in a New Zealand forest and pasture soil. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 35:339–442. , and .
- 2006. Diversity of soil mite communities when managing plant communities on set-aside arable land. Applied Soil Ecology 31:147–158. , , and .
- 1973. Control of species diversity in herbaceous vegetation. Journal of Environmental Management 1:151–167. .
- 2006. The global-scale temperature and moisture dependencies of soil organic carbon decomposition: an analysis using a mechanistic decomposition model. Biogeochemistry 80:217–231. , and .
- 1991. Dynamics of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizae during old field succession. Oecologia 86:349–358. , , , and .
- 2004. Life history strategies and biomass allocation. The population dynamics of perennial plants in a regional perspective. Ph.D. thesis. Wageningen University, Wageningen, The Netherlands. .
- 2000. Directing succession: experimental sowing and translocation of vegetation into an abandoned land. Pages 71–75 in P. S.White, L.Mucina, J.Leps̆, editors. Vegetation science in retrospect and perspective. Proceedings of the 41st Symposium of IAVS, Uppsala, 26 July–1 August 1998. Opulus Press, Uppsala, Sweden. .
- 2006. Temporal variation in plant-soil feedback controls succession. Ecology Letters 9:180–1088. , , and .
- 2005. Successional trajectories of soil nematode and plant communities in a chronosequence of ex-arable lands. Biological Conservation 126:317–327. , , , and .
- 2007. Microbe-mediated plant-soil feedback causes historical contingency effects in plant community assembly. Ecological Monographs 77:147–162. , , , , and .
- 2006. Effect of hay transfer on long-term establishment of vegetation and grasshoppers on former arable fields. Restoration Ecology 14:157–166. , and .
- 2003. Multivariate analysis of ecological data using CANOCO. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom. , and .
- 2002. Effects of experimental irrigation and drought on the composition and diversity of soil fauna in a coniferous stand. Journal of Applied Ecology 39:924–936. , , and .
- 1988. Ecological diversity and its measurement. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom. .
- 1999. The cost and practicality of techniques for the reversion of arable land to lowland wet grassland—an experimental study and review. Journal of Environmental Management 55:91–109. , , , , and .
- 1985. Techniques for reducing soil fertility for nature conservation purposes: a review in relation to research at Ropers Heath, Suffolk, England. Biological Conservation 34:307–332. .
- 1993. Soil fertility and nature conservation in Europe—theoretical considerations and practical management solutions. Advances in Ecological Research 24:241–300.
- 1960. Estimating nematode populations by some selected methods. Pages 85–102 in N. J.Sasser and W. R.Jenkins, editors. Nematology. University of North Carolina Press, Chapel Hill. .
- 2001. Restoration of wet fen meadows by topsoil removal: vegetation development and germination biology of fen species. Restoration Ecology 9:127–136. , , and .
- 2002. Restoration of species-rich grassland on arable land: assessing the limiting processes using a multi-site experiment. Journal of Applied Ecology 39:294–309. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Enhancing diversity of species-poor grasslands: an experimental assessment of multiple constraints. Journal of Applied Ecology 44:81–94. , , , , , and .
- 1995. A comparison of techniques for restoring heathland on abandoned farmland. Journal of Applied Ecology 32:400–411. , , and .
- 2006. Effects of small-scale habitat fragmentation, habitat corridors and mainland dispersal on soil decomposer organisms. Applied Soil Ecology 34:152–159. , , , and .
- 2004. Influence of resource quality on the composition of soil decomposer community in fragmented and continuous habitat. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 36: 1983–1996. , , , , and .
- 2003. Organisms, decomposers, and growth of pine seedlings affected by sod cutting and trenching. Biology and Fertility of Soils 37:163–174. , , and .
- 1996. Seed shed in the making of hay from mesotrophic grassland in a field in Northern England: effects of hay cut date, grazing and fertilizer in a split-plot experiment. Journal of Applied Ecology 33:833–841. , , and .
- 2005. Habitat fragmentation reduces grassland connectivity for both short-distance and long-distance wind-dispersed forbs. Journal of Ecology 93:1241–1225. , , , and .
- 1999. An evaluation of the use of translocated blanket bog vegetation for heathland restoration. Applied Vegetation Science 2:181–188. , and .
- 2002. Canoco for windows 4.5. Biometris, Wageningen-UR, The Netherlands. , and .
- 1999. Principal response curves: analysis of time-dependent multivariate responses of biological community to stress. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 18:138–148. , and .
- 1993. Plant-specific soil-borne diseases contribute to succession in foredune vegetation. Nature 362:53–55. , , and .
- 2006. Fungal biomass development in a chronosequence of land abandonment. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 38:51–60. , , , , , , , and .
- 1997. Top soil removal: new hope for threatened plant species? Pages 257–263 in A.Cooper and J.Power, editors. Species dispersal and land use processes. Proceedings of 6th annual conference International Association for Landscape Ecology (IALE), University of Ulster, 9–11 September 1997. IALE (UK), Lymm, Cheshire. , , and .
- 2003. Top-soil translocation as a technique in the re-creation of species-rich meadows. Applied Vegetation Science 6:271–278. , and .
- 2002. Communities and ecosystems. Linking the aboveground and belowground components. Princeton University Press, Princeton, New Jersey. .
- 2004. Ecological linkages between aboveground and belowground biota. Science 304:1629–1633. , , , , , and .
- 1984. The biology of free-living nematodes. Clarendon Press, Oxford, United Kingdom. .
- 1993. Patterns of survival and extinction of nematodes in isolated soil. Oikos 67:563–572. , and .
- 1993. Feeding-habits in soil nematode families and genera—an outline for soil ecologists. Journal of Nematology 25:315–331. , , , , and .