An Evaluation of Revegetation Success on Bauxite Residue
Article first published online: 17 APR 2008
© 2008 Society for Ecological Restoration International
Volume 17, Issue 3, pages 350–358, May 2009
How to Cite
Courtney, R., Mullen, G. and Harrington, T. (2009), An Evaluation of Revegetation Success on Bauxite Residue. Restoration Ecology, 17: 350–358. doi: 10.1111/j.1526-100X.2008.00375.x
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2009
- Article first published online: 17 APR 2008
- 1979. Effects of aluminium on nutrient composition and yield of oats. Journal of Plant Nutrition 1:365–375. , and .
- 1994. The introduction of native plant species on industrial waste heaps: a test of immigration and other factors affecting primary succession. Journal of Applied Ecology 31:74–84. , , and .
- 1984. Plant succession on abandoned minelands in the eastern U.S. in Proceedings of the 5th National Symposium on Abandoned Mine Land Reclamation, Bismark, North Dakota, 10–12 October 1984. National Association of Abandoned Mine Land Programs, Bismark, North Dakota. .
- 1999. Biotic and abiotic characteristics of ecosystems on acid metalliferous mine tailings near Sudbury, Ontario. Canadian Journal of Botany 74:410–425. , and .
- 1982. Possibility of using caustic residue from bauxite for improving the chemical and physical properties of sandy soils. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 33:275–285. .
- 2001. Quality of amended mine soils after sixteen years. Soil Science Society of America Journal 65:1736–1744. , , and .
- 1996. Aluminum. Pages 517–550 in D. L.Sparks, editor. Methods of soil analysis, Part 3. American Society of Agronomy and Soil Science Society of America, Madison, Wisconsin. , and .
- 1983. The reconstruction of ecosystems. Journal of Applied Ecology 20:1–17. .
- 1982. Nitrogen—total. Pages 595–624 in A. L.Page, editor. Methods of soil analysis, Part 2. American Society of Agronomy and Soil Science Society of America, Madison, Wisconsin. , and .
- 1995. The establishment and maintenance of a species-rich grassland on a reclaimed opencast coal site. Restoration Ecology 3:39–50. , and .
- 1995. Sodium in forage crops. Pages 43–70 in C. J.Phillips and P. C.Chiy, editors. Sodium in agriculture. Chalcombe Publications, Canterbury, United Kingdom. , and .
- 2004. Nutrient status of vegetation grown in alkaline bauxite processing residue amended with gypsum and thermally dried sewage sludge—a two year field study. Plant and Soil 266:187–194. , and .
- 2005. Reclamation of fine fraction bauxite processing residue (red mud) amended with coarse fraction residue and gypsum. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 164:91–102. , and .
- 1998. Fertility constraints to plant production. Pages 107–124 in M.Sumner, and R.Naidu, editors. Sodic soils; distribution, properties, management, and environmental consequences. Oxford University Press, New York, New York. , and .
- 2006. Effective nutrient sources for plant growth on bauxite residue: I. Comparing organic and inorganic fertilizers. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 176:5–19. , , and .
- 1968. The uptake of some major and trace elements by grasses as affected by season and stage of maturity. Journal of British Grassland Society 23:174–185. , and .
- 1998. Effect of a commercial peat moss-shrimp wastes compost on pucinellia growth in red mud. International Journal of Mining, Reclamation and Environment 12:105–109. , and .
- 1982. Reclamation of red mud (bauxite residues) using alkaline-tolerant grasses with organic amendments. Journal of Environmental Quality 11:533–539. , , and .
- 2001. Deep placement of manganese fertiliser improves sustainability of lucerne growing on bauxite residue: a glasshouse study. Plant and Soil 257:85–95. , and .
- 2003. Bauxite residue sand has the capacity to rapidly decrease availability of added manganese. Plant and Soil 234:143–151. , and .
- 1982. Plants survive hostile bauxite residue. Australian mining industry council environmental workshop, Darwin. Australian Mining Industry Council, Canberra, Australia. .
- 2004. Implications of plant density on the resulting community structure of mine site land. Restoration Ecology 12:429–438.
- 2005. Aspergillus Tubingensis reduces the pH of the bauxite residue (red mud) amended soils. Water, Air and Soil Pollution 167:201–209. , , and .
- 1976. The colonization by plants of calcareous wastes from the salt and alkali industry in Cheshire, England. Biological Conservation 10:131–150. , and .
- 2006. Ecological restoration of mineland with particular reference to the metalliferous mine wasteland in China: a review of research and practice. Science of the Total Environment 357:38–53. .
- 1978. Development of a DTPA soil test for zinc, iron, manganese and copper. Soil Science Society of America Journal 42:421–428. , and .
- 1983. The reclamation of fine textured bauxite residues using alkaline and aluminium tolerant grasses with organic and chemical amendments. M.Sc thesis. Department of Forestry and Environmental Studies, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina. .
- 1977. Revegetation of alumina refinery wastes. 1. Properties and amelioration of the materials. Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture 17:679–688. , and .
- 1999. Evaluation of Mehlich 3 reagent as a multielement extractant in mine soils. Land Degradation and Development 10:35–47. , , and .
- 1982. Total carbon, organic carbon and organic matter. Pages 539–579 in A. L.Page, editor. Methods of soil analysis, Part 2. American Society of Agronomy and Soil Science of America, Madison, Wisconsin. , and .
- 1954. Estimation of available phosphorus in soils by extraction with sodium bicarbonate. Pages 1–19 in USDA Circular 939. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C. , , , and .
- 1998. Evaluation of the rehabilitation procedure of a pyritic mine tailings pond in Avoca, Southeast Ireland. Land Degradation and Development 9:67–79. , , and .
- 1997. Plant analysis, an interpretation manual. 2nd edition. CSIRO, Collingwood, Victoria, Australia. , and .
- 1981. Ecosystem development on naturally colonized china clay wastes I. Vegetation changes and overall accumulation of organic matter and nutrients. Journal of Ecology 69:153–161. , , , and .
- 2000. Levels of dry matter, major elements and trace elements in Irish grass, silage and hay. Teagasc Publications, Wexford, Ireland. , and .
- 1994. Phosphorus and sulphur. in Soil science, methods and applications. Longman, Harlow, United Kingdom. .
- 1988. Municipal sludge for minespoil reclamation: I. Effects on microbial populations and activity. Journal of Environmental Quality 17:591–597. , and .
- 2005. Natural colonization of plants on five lead/zinc mine tailings in Southern China. Restoration Ecology 13:49–60. , , , , and .
- 1994. Natural revegetation of 15 abandoned mine land sites in West Virginia. Journal of Environmental Quality 23:1224–1230. , , and .
- 2004. The effects of addition of bauxite red mud to soil on P uptake by plants. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 55:25–31. , , and .
- 1991. New flora of the British Isles. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom. .
- TAA (The Aluminum Association). 2000. Technology roadmap for bauxite residue treatment and utilization. The Aluminum Association, Washington, D.C.
- 1982. Exchangeable cations. Pages 159–165 in A. L.Page, editor. Methods of soil analysis: part 2. Chemical and microbiological properties. American Society of Agronomy and Soil Science Society of America, Madison, Wisconsin.
- 2006. Revegetation strategies for bauxite refinery residue: a case study of Alcan Gove in Northern Territory, Australia. Environmental Management 37:297–306. , , and .
- 2000. Nutrient elements in grassland: soil-plant-animal relationships. CABI Publishing, Wallingford, United Kingdom. .
- 1982. Mine wastes reclamation. Mining Journal Books, London, United Kingdom. , , and .
- 1992. Viable techniques for direct revegetation of fine bauxite refining residue. Pages 258–269 in Proceedings International Bauxite Tailings Workshop. Perth, Western Australia, 2–6 November 1992. The Australian Bauxite and Alumina Producers. , and .
- 1993. Use of waste gypsum in the revegetation on red mud deposits: a greenhouse study. Waste Management and Research 11:249–256. , and .
- 1994. Effectiveness of acidic industrial wastes for reclaiming fine bauxite refining residue (red mud). Soil Science 158:115–123. , and .
- 1995. Cation exchange behaviour of bauxite refining residues from Western Australia. Journal of Environmental Quality 24:461–466. , and .
- 2002. Evaluation of major constraints to revegetation of lead/zinc mine tailings using bioassay techniques. Chemosphere 47:1103–1111. , , , , and .