Biodiversity of Belowground Invertebrates as an Indicator of Wet Meadow Restoration Success (Platte River, Nebraska)
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
© 2008 Society for Ecological Restoration International
Volume 17, Issue 4, pages 495–505, July 2009
How to Cite
Riggins, J. J., Davis, C. A. and Hoback, W. W. (2009), Biodiversity of Belowground Invertebrates as an Indicator of Wet Meadow Restoration Success (Platte River, Nebraska). Restoration Ecology, 17: 495–505. doi: 10.1111/j.1526-100X.2008.00394.x
- Issue published online: 24 JUL 2009
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- 1984. Contribution of earthworms to porosity and water infiltration in a tropical soil under forest and long-term cultivation. Pedobiologia 26:131–136. .
- 1995. Measuring more of biodiversity: genus richness as a surrogate for species richness in Australian ant faunas. Biological Conservation 73:39–43. .
- 1997. Measuring invertebrate biodiversity: surrogates of ant species richness in the Australian seasonal tropics. Memoirs of the Museum of Victoria 56:95–99. .
- 1996. Using higher-taxon richness as a surrogate for species richness: II. Local applications. Proceedings: Biological Sciences 263:1571–1575. , , and .
- 1994. Taxonomic minimalism. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 9:488–490. , and .
- 1998. Significance of earthworms in stimulating soil microbial activity. Biology and Fertility of Soils 27:79–84. , , and .
- 2000. Responses of grassland soil invertebrates to natural and anthropogenic disturbances. Pages 43–71 in D. C.Coleman and P. F.Hendrix, editors. Invertebrates as webmasters in ecosystems. CABI Publishing, New York. , , and .
- 1985. Migratory bird habitat on the Platte and North Platte Rivers in Nebraska. The High Pressure Press, Marquette, Nebraska. , , and .
- 2006. Factors influencing soil invertebrate communities in riparian grasslands of the central Platte River floodplain. Wetlands 26:438–454. , , and .
- 1993. Availability of earthworms and scarab beetles to sandhill cranes in native grasslands along the Platte River. Prairie Naturalist 25:199–212. , and .
- 2003. Soil invertebrate fauna enhances grassland succession and diversity. Nature 422:711–713. , , , , , , , and .
- 1985. Taxonomic sufficiency in pollution assessment. Marine Pollution Bulletin 16:459. .
- 1985. Earthworms of the western United States. Part I. Lumbricidae. Megadrilogica 4:93–129. .
- 1990. Taxonomic level and sample size sufficient for assessing pollution impacts on the Southern California Bight macrobenthos. Marine Ecology Progress Series 67:251–262. , and .
- 1992. Taxonomic level sufficient for assessing a moderate impact on macrobenthic communities in Puget Sound, Washington, USA. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 49:1184–1188. , and .
- 1995. Taxonomic level sufficient for assessing pollution impacts on the Southern California Bight macrobenthos—revisited. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 14:1031–1040. , and .
- 1996. The advantages of using arthropods in ecosystem management. Biological Survey of Canada (Terrestrial Arthropods) for Canadian Museum of Nature and Entomological Society of Canada, Ottawa, Canada. .
- 1998. Ant biodiversity and its relationship to ecosystem functioning: a review. Biodiversity and Conservation 7:1221–1244. .
- 1996. The diversity of soil communities, the ‘poor man’s tropical rainforest’. Biodiversity and Conservation 5:135–168. .
- 1978. Biological surveillance of rivers: a biological monitoring handbook. Water Research Centre, Stevanage, United Kingdom. .
- 2004. Linking surface and ground water levels to riparian grassland species along the Platte River in central Nebraska. Wetlands 24:665–687. , , and .
- 1988. On the use of meiofauna in ecological monitoring: who needs taxonomy? Marine Pollution Bulletin 19:665–668. , and .
- 1999. Trap color and placement effects estimates of insect family-level abundance and diversity in a Nebraska salt marsh. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 91:393–402. , , , and .
- 1990. The ants. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts. , and .
- 1983. Ground water hydrology of the Mormon Island Crane Meadows Wildlife area near Grand Island, Hall County, Nebraska. U.S. Geological Survey Professional Paper 1277-H. United States Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C. .
- James, A., and L.Evison, editors. 1979. Biological indicators of water quality. Wiley, Chichester, United Kingdom.
- 1996. Terrestrial isopods (Isopoda: Oniscidea) of Wisconsin. The Great Lakes Entomologist 29:11–20. , and .
- 1996. Ecological risk assessment case study: Middle Platte River Flood plain, Nebraska. Prepared for U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, D.C. , and .
- 1994. Organisms as ecosystem engineers. Oikos 69:373–386. , , and .
- 1997. Positive and negative effects of organisms as physical ecosystem engineers. Ecology 78:1946–1957. , , and .
- Jordan, W. R.III, M. E.Gilpin, and J. D.Aber, editors. 1987. Restoration ecology: a synthetic approach to ecological research. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom.
- 2000. Acquisition of microbial communities and enhanced availability of soil nutrients by the isopod Porcellio scaber (Latr.) (Isopoda: Oniscidea). Biology and Fertility of Soils 31:102–107. , and .
- 1993. Terrestrial arthropod assemblages: their use in conservation planning. Conservation Biology 7:796–808. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Multivariate analysis of ecological data using CANOCO. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom. , and .
- 2003. Terrestrial arthropods as indicators of ecological restoration success in coastal sage scrub (California, U.S.A.). Restoration Ecology 11:397–409. .
- 2000. Arthropod monitoring for fine scale habitat analysis: a case study of the El Segundo dunes. Environmental Management 25:445–452. , , and .
- 1987. Effects of water table depth and soil factors on invertebrate populations. Prairie Naturalist 19:251–258. , and .
- 2003. Using soil arthropods to assess the state of rainforest restoration. Ecological Management and Restoration 4:S20–S28. , , and .
- National Research Council. 1992. Restoration of aquatic ecosystems: science, technology, and public policy. National Research Council, Washington, D.C.
- 1987. Platte River channel morphology and riparian vegetation changes in the Big Bend reach and minimum stream flow criteria for channel maintenance. Platte River Whooping Crane Trust Report, Grand Island, Nebraska. , and .
- 1999. Woodlice (Isopoda: Oniscidea): their potential for assessing sustainability and use as bioindicators. Agriculture, Ecosystems, and Environment 74:157–165. , and .
- 1997. Soil microarthropod possible indicators of prairie recovery (Illinois). Restoration & Management Notes 15:135–142. .
- 1999. Taxonomic sufficiency in ecological studies of terrestrial invertebrates. Austral Ecology 24:555–562. , , and .
- 2001. The terrestrial isopods of Nebraska (Crustacea: Isopoda). Transactions of the Nebraska Academy of Sciences 27:9–11. .
- 1986. Feeding ecology of sandhill cranes during spring migration in Nebraska. Journal of Wildlife Management 50:71–79. , and .
- 1949. The mathematical theory of communication. The University of Illinois Press, Urbana. , and .
- 1989. Changing habitats in the Platte River valley of Nebraska. Prairie Naturalist 21:91–104. , , and .
- 1949. Measurement of diversity. Nature 163:688. .
- 1986. Canonical correspondence analysis: a new eigenvector technique for multivariate direct gradient analysis. Ecology 76:1167–1179. .
- 2002. CANOCO reference manual and CanoDraw for Windows user’s guide: software for canonical community ordination (version 4.5). Microcomputer Power, Ithaca, New York. , and .
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. 1981. The Platte River ecology study special research report. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Jamestown, North Dakota.
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. 1997. Biological opinion on the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission’s preferred alternative for the Kingsley dam project (project no. 1417) and North Platte/Keystone dam project (project no. 1835). U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Grand Island, Nebraska.
- 1987. Isopods and there terrestrial environment. Advances in Ecological Research 17:187–242. .
- 1988a. Analysis of community attributes of the macrobenthos of Frierfjord/Langesundfjord at taxonomic levels higher than species. Marine Ecology Progress Series 46:167–170. .
- 1988b. The level of taxonomic discrimination required to detect pollution effects on marine benthic communities. Marine Pollution Bulletin 19:259–268. .
- 1994. Platte River wetland hydrology study: final report. Wyoming Water Resources Center, Laramie, Wyoming. , , and .
- 1994. Measuring more of biodiversity: can higher-taxon richness predict wholesale species richness? Biological Conservation 67:211–217. , and .
- 1997. Mapping biodiversity value worldwide: combining higher-taxon richness from different groups. Proceedings: Biological Sciences 264:141–148. , , and .
- 1995. Measuring the impact of sewage effluent on the macroinvertebrate community of an upland stream: the effect of different levels of taxonomic resolution and quantification. Austral Ecology 20:142–149. , , , and .
- 1999. Relationships between woodlice (Isopoda: Oniscidea) and microbial density and activity in the field. Biology and Fertility of Soils 30:117–123. , and .