Climate Change Implications for River Restoration in Global Biodiversity Hotspots
Article first published online: 12 MAR 2010
© 2010 Society for Ecological Restoration International
Volume 18, Issue 3, pages 261–268, May 2010
How to Cite
Davies, P. M. (2010), Climate Change Implications for River Restoration in Global Biodiversity Hotspots. Restoration Ecology, 18: 261–268. doi: 10.1111/j.1526-100X.2009.00648.x
- Issue published online: 30 APR 2010
- Article first published online: 12 MAR 2010
- 2004. A dictionary of ecology (available from http://www.encyclopedia.com) accessed 18 October 2009.
- ANZECC/ARMCANZ. 2000. Australian and New Zealand Water quality guidelines. Australian and New Zealand Environment and Conservation Council and Agriculture and Resource Management Council of Australia and New Zealand, Canberra. (Available from http://www.deh.gov.au/water/quality/nwqms/index.html#quality) accessed 2 September 2009.
- 2003. Water yield response to land use change in south-west Western Australia. Salinity and Land Use Impacts Series. Report SLUI 31. Department of Environment, Perth, Western Australia. , and .
- 1972. Soil and landscape studies in Western Australia. II. Valley form and surface features of the south-west drainage division. Journal of the Geological Society of Australia 18:359–369. , and .
- BOM (Bureau of Meteorology). 2007. Global climate change and variability and Australian climate change and variability (available from http://www.bom.gov.au/silo/products/cli_chg/) accessed 2 September 2009.
- 1990. Why is the stream fauna of the south-west of Western Australia so impoverished? Hydrobiologia 194:169–176. , and .
- 1992. Community structure and water chemistry of a salinised river system in south-western Australia. Hydrobiologia 248:143–160. , and .
- 1999. Ecosystem measures of river health and their response to riparian and catchment degradation. Freshwater Biology 41:333–345. , , and .
- 2000. Biological processes in running waters and their implications for the assessment of ecological integrity. Hydrobiologia 422/423:61–70. , and .
- 1986. Spatial and temporal variation in the macroinvertebrate fauna of streams of the northern jarrah forest, Western Australia: community structure. Freshwater Biology 16:67–91. , , and .
- 2008a. Dynamics of late autumn rainfall reduction over southeastern Australia. Geophysical Research Letters 35:L09708, DOI: 10.1029/2008GL033727. , and .
- 2008b. Evidence of impacts from rising temperature on inflows to the Murray-Darling Basin. Geophysical Research Letters 35:L07701, DOI: 10.1029/2008GL033390. , and .
- 2006. An overview of methods for estimating climate change impact on runoff. Report for the 30th Hydrology and Water Resources Symposium, 4–7th December, Launceston, Tasmania, Australia.
- COAG. 2007. National climate change adaptation framework (available from http://www.coag.gov.au/coag_meeting_outcomes/2007-04-13/docs/national_climate_change_adaption_framework.pdf) accessed 8 September 2009.
- 2006. SAM and regional rainfall in IPCC AR4 models: can anthropogenic forcing account for southwest Western Australian winter rainfall reduction? Geophysical Research Letters 33:L24708. , and .
- 2000. Thermal tolerances of two stream invertebrates exposed to diurnally varying temperature. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 34:209–215. , and .
- 2004. Warmer winters drive butterflies range expansion by increasing survivorship. Ecology 85:231–241.
- 2001. Implications of climatic warming for conservation of native trees and shrubs in Florida. Conservation Biology 15:1008–1020. , , and .
- CSIRO. 2007. Climate change in Australia—technical report 2007 (available from http://www.climatechangeinaustralia.gov.au). CSIRO, 2007. Climate change in Australia. Bibliography. ISBN 9781921232947.
- CSIRO and BOM (Bureau of Meteorology). 2007. Climate change in Australia. Technical Report. CSIRO, Melbourne, Australia, 140pp.
- 1999. Restoring fundamental ecological processes in small, forested uplands streams: the importance of riparian vegetation. Pages 193–198 in I.Rutherfurd and R.Bartley, editors. Second Australian Stream Management Conference, Vol. 1. CRC for Catchment Hydrology, Adelaide, Australia. , and .
- 2008. Primary production in tropical streams and rivers. Pages 23–42 in D.Dudgeon, editor. Tropical Stream Ecology. Elsevier, Inc., London, UK. , , and .
- 2002. Managing high in-stream temperatures using riparian vegetation. Rip Rap 22:12–20, ISSN 1445–3924. , , , and .
- 2004. Riparian restoration reduces in-stream thermal stress. Rip Rap 26:16–19, ISSN 1324–6941. , , , and .
- 1998. Large woody debris is important habitat in rivers. Western Wildlife 2:14–15. , and .
- 1981. A laboratory study of the thermal tolerance of four south-eastern stream insect species (Trichoptera, Ephemeroptera). Hydrobiologia 79:141–145. , and .
- 2008. Implications of climate change for Australia's National Reserve System: a preliminary assessment. Report to the Department of Climate Change, February 2008. Department of Climate Change, Canberra, Australia, ISBN 978–1–921297–73–1. , and .
- 1989. Gondwanaland elements in the Chironomidae (Diptera) of south-western Australia. Acta Biologica Oecologica Hungarica 2:181–187.
- 1994. Invertebrate community structure related to physico-chemical parameters of permanent lakes of the south coast of Western Australia. Journal of the Royal Society of Western Australia 77:51–63. , , and .
- 2006. Impacts of climate warming and habitat loss on extinctions at species' low-latitude range boundaries. Global Climate Change Biology 12:1545–1553. , , , , , , , and .
- 1994. Climate effects on mountain plants. Nature 369:448–448. , , and .
- 2003. Salinisation and prospects for biodiversity in rivers and wetlands of south-west Western Australia. Australian Journal of Botany 51:673–688. , , and .
- 2006. Global temperature change. Proceedings of the Natural Academy of Sciences USA 103:14288–14293. , , , , , and
- 2006. Ecological restoration and global climate change. Restoration Ecology 14:170–176. , , , and .
- 2007. Australia and New Zealand, climate change 2007: impacts, adaptation and vulnerability. Contribution of Working Group II. Pages 504–507 in M. L.Parry, O. F.Canziani, J. P.Palutikof, P. J.Van Der Linden, and C. E.Hanson, editors. Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Breeding distributions of North American bird species moving north as a result of climate change. Conservation Biology 21:534–539. , and .
- 2004. The southwest Australian floristic region: evolution and conservation of a global hot spot of biodiversity. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 35:623–650. , and .
- 1997. Comparative endemism and richness of the aquatic invertebrate fauna in peatlands and shublands of far south-western Australia. Memoirs of the Museum of Victoria 56:313–321.
- 2008. Hydrological change escalates risk of ecosystem stress in Australia's threatened biodiversity hotspot. Journal of the Royal Society of Western Australia 91:1–11. , , , , , and .
- IOCI (Indian Ocean Climate Initiative). 2002. Climate variability and change in south-west WA (available from http://www.ioci.org.au) accessed 12 September 2009.
- IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change). 2000. Emission scenarios—special report of the IPCC. Cambridge University Press, UK. (Available from http://www.ipcc.ch/pub/reports.htm) accessed 8 October 2009.
- IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change). 2007a. Climate change 2007—the physical science basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the IPCC, Published for the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change). 2007b. Fourth assessment report, summary for policy makers, Paris, Feb 2, 2007 (available from http://www.ipcc.ch/SPM2-feb07.pdf) accessed 10 October 2009.
- 2001. On the maturing of restoration: linking ecological research and restoration. Ecological Management and Restoration 2:110–115.
- 2007. Linking ecological theory with stream restoration. Freshwater Biology 52:597–615. , , and .
- 2005. Statistical modelling of extreme rainfall in southwest Western Australia. Journal of Climate 18:852–863. , , and .
- 2006. Global warning and extinctions of endemic species from biodiversity hotspots. Conservation Biology 20:538–548. , , , , and .
- 2001. Characteristics of the sea breeze system in Perth, Western Australia, and its effect on the nearshore wave climate. Journal of Coastal Research 17:173–187. , and .
- 2001. Ecological consequences of recent climate change. Conservation Biology 15:320–331.
- 1998. Distribution, identification and biology of freshwater fishes in south-western Australia. Records of the Western Australian Museum 56:1–97. , , and .
- 2000. Biodiversity hotspots for conservation priorities. Nature (London) 403:853–858. , , , , and .
- 2006. Detecting and attributing Australian climate change: a review. Australian Meteorological Magazine 55:199–211.
- NLWRA. 2001. Australian dryland salinity assessment 2000: extent, impacts, processes, monitoring and management options. National Land and Water Resources Audit, Canberra, ACT, Australia.
- 1999. Poleward shifts in geographical ranges of butterfly species associated with regional warming. Nature 399:579–583. , , , , , , et al.
- 1990. Biology of the nightfish Bostockia porosa Castelnau in a south-western Australian river. Australian Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 41:627–646. , and .
- 1991a. Biology of the western minnow, Galaxias occidentalis Ogilby (Teleostei: Galaxiidae), in a south-western Australian river. Hydrobiologia 211:77–88. , and .
- 1991b. Biology of the western minnow Galaxias occidentalis Ogilby (Teleostei: Galaxiidae) in a south-western Australian River II. Size and age composition, growth and diet. Hydrobiologia 211:89–100. , and .
- 1991c. Biology of the western pygmy perch Edelia vittata and comparisons with two other teleost species endemic to south-western Australia. Environmental Biology of Fishes 31:365–380. , and .
- 1997. The natural flow regime: a paradigm for river conservation and restoration. BioScience 47:769–784. , , , , , , , and .
- 2000. The implications of climate change for land-based nature conservation strategies. Final Report 96/1306. Australian Greenhouse Office, Environment Australia, Canberra, and Institute for Sustainability and Technology Policy, Murdoch University, Perth, Western Australia. , and .
- 2006. Widespread amphibian extinctions from epidemic disease driven by global warming. Nature 439:161–167. , , , , , , et al.
- 1989. Spatial variation in fish communities in two south-western Australian river systems. Journal of the Royal Society of Western Australia 71:69–75. , , , and .
- 1994. Upper thermal tolerances of twelve New Zealand stream invertebrate species. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 28:391–397. , , , and .
- 2003. Fingerprints of global warming on wild animals and plants. Nature 421:57–60. , , , , , and .
- 1997. Predicting the effects of shade on water temperature in small streams. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 31:707–721. , , , , and
- 2004. Evaluating stream rehabilitation projects: reasons not to, and approaches if you have to. Australian Journal of Water Resources l8:57–68. , , and .
- 2004. Effects of patchy shade on stream water temperatures; how quickly do small streams heat and cool? Marine Freshwater Research 55:737–748. , , , and .
- 1999. Climate change in conservation areas of South Africa and its potential impact on floristic composition: a first assessment. Diversity and Distributions 5:253–262. , , and .
- 1972. A sense of place. University of Western Australia Press, Perth, Western Australia.
- Swan River Trust. 2007. Potential impacts of climate change on the Swan and Canning rivers. Report Prepared for the Swan River Trust by the Technical Advisory Panel December 2007, Perth, Western Australia.
- 2005. Temperature distribution. Pages 711–716 in J. E.Oliver, editor. Encyclopedia of World Climatology. Springer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands. ISBN 1402032641.
- 1985. A review of the ecological effects of river regulation in Australia. Hydrobiologia 125:111–129.
- 2000. Phylogenetic system and zoogeography of the Plecoptera. Annual Review Entomology 45:709–746.