Fire as a Restoration Tool: A Decision Framework for Predicting the Control or Enhancement of Plants Using Fire
Version of Record online: 20 APR 2010
© 2010 Society for Ecological Restoration International
Volume 18, Issue 3, pages 274–284, May 2010
How to Cite
Pyke, D. A., Brooks, M. L. and D'Antonio, C. (2010), Fire as a Restoration Tool: A Decision Framework for Predicting the Control or Enhancement of Plants Using Fire. Restoration Ecology, 18: 274–284. doi: 10.1111/j.1526-100X.2010.00658.x
- Issue online: 30 APR 2010
- Version of Record online: 20 APR 2010
- 2002. Ecological restoration of southwestern ponderosa pine ecosystems: a broad perspective. Ecological Applications 12:1418–1433. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1995. Effects of flame weeding on weed species at different developmental stages. Weed Research 35:397–411.
- 1994. Restoration of landscape structure altered by fire suppression. Conservation Biology 8:763–769.
- 1996. Relationships between fire response, morphology, root anatomy and starch distribution in south-west Australian Epacridaceae. Annals of Botany 77:357–364. , , and .
- 1985. Restoring naturalness to national parks. Environmental Management 9:479–486. , and .
- 2003. An application of plant functional types to fire management in a conservation reserve in southeastern Australia. Journal of Vegetation Science 14:345–354. , and .
- 2002. Expansion of woody plants in tallgrass prairie: a fifteen-year study of fire and fire-grazing interactions. American Midland Naturalist 147:287–294. , , and .
- 2001. Invasive plants and fire in the deserts of North America. Pages 1–14 in K. E. M.Galley, and T. P.Wilson, editors. Proceedings of the invasive species workshop: the role of fire in the spread and control of invasive species. Fire Conference 2000: The First National Congress on Fire Ecology, Prevention, and Management. Miscellaneous Publication No. 11. Tall Timbers Research Station, Tallahassee, Florida. , and .
- 1987. Guidelines for prescribed burning sagebrush-grass rangelands in the northern Great Basin. General Technical Report INT-231. USDA Forest Service, Intermountain Research Station, Ogden, Utah. , , and .
- 2005. Lethal soil temperatures during burning of masticated forest residues. International Journal of Wildland Fire 14:267–276. , , , , and .
- 2001. Soils, water and watersheds. Pages 93–109 in M.Miller, editor. Fire effects guide. NFES 2394, National Interagency Fire Center, Boise, Idaho (available from http://www.nwcg.gov/pms/RxFire/FEG.pdf) (accessed on 4 December 2009).
- 2001. Post-fire response of shrubs in the tablelands of eastern Australia: do existing models explain habitat differences? Australian Journal of Botany 50:53–62. , and .
- 2003. A handbook of protocols for standardized and easy measurement of plant functional traits worldwide. Australian Journal of Botany 51:335–380. , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2000. Fire, plant invasions and global changes. Pages 65–94 in H.Mooney, and R.Hobbs, editors. Invasive species in a changing world. Island Press, Washington, DC.
- 2001. Factors influencing dynamics of invasive C4 grasses in a Hawaiian woodland: role of resource competition and priority effects. Ecology 82:89–104. , , and .
- 2005. Chapter 2: Soil physical properties. Pages 29–51 in D. G.Neary, K. C.Ryan, and L. F.DeBano, editors, Wildland fire in ecosystems—effects of fire on soil and water. General Technical Report RMRS-GTR-42-vol.4. USDA Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station, Ogden, Utah. , , and .
- 1999. Prescribed burning for control of yellow starthistle (Centaurea solstitialis) and enhanced native plant diversity. Weed Science 47:233–242. , , and .
- 2001. Carefully timed burning can control barb goatgrass. California Agriculture 55:47–53. , , , , and .
- 2006. Control of invasive weeds with prescribed burning. Weed Technology 20:535–548. , , , , , and .
- 2001. Short-term response of woody plants to fire in a Rio Grande riparian forest, central New Mexico, USA. Biological Conservation 97:159–170.
- 2003. A review of prescribed burning effectiveness in fire hazard reduction. International Journal of Wildland Fire 12:117–128. , and .
- 2006. Effects of dormant- vs. growing-season fire in shortgrass steppe: biological soil crust and perennial grass responses. Journal of Arid Environments 67:1–14. , and .
- 1996. Slash-and-burn agriculture, conversion to pasture and deforestation in two Brazilian colonies. Agriculture Ecosystems and Environment 59:115–130. , , , , and .
- 1997. Determining reference conditions for ecosystem management of southwestern ponderosa pine forests. Ecological Applications 7:895–908. , , and .
- 1981. Adaptive responses of Australian vascular plant species to fires. Pages 243–271 in A. M.Gill, R. H.Groves, and I. R.Noble, editors. Fire and the Australian biota. Australian Academy of Science, Canberra.
- 1968. The role of bark type in relative tolerance to fire of three central Victorian eucalypts. Australian Journal of Botany 16:491–498. , and
- 1984. Man's historical and traditional use of fire in southern Africa. Pages 40–52 in P. de V.Booysen, and N. M.Tainton, editors. Ecological effects of fire in South African Ecosystems. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Germany.
- 1991. Shrub recruitment response to intensity and season of fire in a semi-arid woodland. Journal of Applied Ecology 28:60–70.
- 2002. Fire management of California shrubland landscapes. Environmental Management 29:395–408.
- 2009. Fire intensity, fire severity and burn severity: a brief review and suggested useage. International Journal of Wildland Fire 15:116–126.
- 2002. Predicting changes in community composition and ecosystem functioning from plant traits: revisting the holy grail. Functional Ecology 16:545–556. , and .
- 1980. Responses of plants to environmental stresses, 2nd edition. Academic Press, New York.
- 1985. Burning the top end: kangaroos and cattle. Pages 21–31 in J. R.Ford, editor. Fire ecology and management of Western Australian ecosystems. Western Australian Institute of Technology, Perth.
- 2001. Plants. Pages 110–140 in M.Miller, editor. Fire effects guide. NFES 2394, National Interagency Fire Center, Boise, Idaho (available from http://www.nwcg.gov/pms/RxFire/FEG.pdf) (accessed on 4 December 2009). , and .
- 1990. An individualistic model of vegetation stand dynamics. Journal of Environmental Management 31:61–81. , and .
- 2003. Spatiotemporal analysis of controls on shrubland fire regime: age dependency and fire hazard. Ecology 84:351–361
- 2004. Testing a basic assumption of shrubland fire management:how important is fuel age? Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 2:67–72. , , , and .
- 1999. Fire effects on belowground sustainability: a review and synthesis. Forest Ecology and Management 122:51–71. , , , and .
- 1971. Some comments on the causes and effects of fire in the northern grasslands area of Canada and the nearby United States, ca. AD 1750–1900. Canadian Geographer 15:295–306. , and .
- 1981. Fire and the Australian aborigine: an enigma. Pages 55–76 in A. M.Gill, R. H.Groves, and I. R.Noble, editors. Fire and the Australian biota. Australian Academy of Science, Canberra.
- 1996. A functional classification for predicting the dynamics of landscapes. Journal of Vegetation Science 7:329–336. , and .
- 1980. The use of vital attributes to predict successional changes in plant communities subject to recurrent disturbances. Vegetatio 43:5–21. , and .
- 2004. Plant functional traits in relation to fire in crown-fire ecosystems. Ecology 85:1085–1100. , , , , and the GCTE Fire Network.
- 1991. Burning bush: a fire history of Australia. Holt, New York.
- 1934. The life forms of plants and statistical plant geography; being the collected papers of C. Raunkiaer. Translated by Gilbert-Carter, H., A. I. Fausbøll and A. G. Tansley. The Clarendon Press, Oxford, United Kingdom.
- 1980. Measuring and interpreting fire behavior for correlation with fire effects. General Technical Report INT-93. USDA Forest Service, Intermountain Research Station, Ogden, Utah. , and .
- 1996. Fire severity and vegetation response in the boreal Swedish forest. Ecology 77:1436–1450. , and
- 2005. Standard fire behavior fuel models: a comprehensive set for use with Rothermel's surface fire spread model. General Technical Report RMRS-GTR-153. USDA Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station, Fort Collins, Colorado. , and .
- 1984. The role of disturbance in natural communities. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 15:353–391.
- 2003. Land use and vegetation fires in Jambi Province, Sumatra, Indonesia. Forest Ecology and Management 179:277–292. , , , and .
- 1994. Basic investigations into flaming for weed control. Acta Horticulturae 372:195–204.
- 2005. Available nitrogen: a time-based study of manipulated resource islands. Plant and Soil 270:123–133. , and .
- 2006. Fire as an ecological process. Pages 58–74 in N. G.Sugihara, J. W.Van Wagtendonk, K. E.Shaffer, J.Fites-Kaufman, and A. E.Thode, editors. Fire in California's ecosystems. University of California Press, Berkeley. , , and
- U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Forest Service. 2007. Fire effects information system. USDA Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station, Fire Sciences Laboratory, Missoula, Montana (available from http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis) (accessed on 4 December 2009).
- 1989. Range development and improvements. Academic Press, New York.
- 2006. Fire as a physical process. Pages 38–57 in N. G.Sugihara, J. W.Van Wagtendonk, K. E.Shaffer, J.Fites-Kaufman, and A. E.Thode, editors. Fire in California's ecosystems. University of California Press, Berkeley.
- 1992. Regeneration strategies in fynbos plants and their influence on the stability of community boundaries after fire. Pages 54–80 in B. W.Van Wilgen, D. M.Richardson, F. J.Kruger, and J. J.Van Hensbergen, editors. Fire in South African mountain fynbos. Ecological Studies 93. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Germany. , and .
- 1968. Heat transfer through bark, and the resistance of trees to fire. Australian Journal of Botany 16:499–514.
- 2001. Fire effects on nitrogen pools and dynamics in terrestrial ecosystems: a meta-analysis. Ecological Applications 11:1349–1365. , , and .
- 1985. The distribution and botanical characteristics of lodgepole pine: biogeographical and management implications. Pages 1–13 in D. M.Baumgartner, R. G.Krebill, J. T.Arnott, and G. F.Weetman, compilers and editors. Lodgepole pine: the species and its management: symposium proceedings. Washington State University, Cooperative Extension, Pullman, Washington. , and .
- 1995. The ecology of fire. Cambridge University Press, New York.
- 1999. Fire regime, fire intensity and tree survival in a tropical savanna in northern Australia. Australian Journal of Ecology 24:50–59. , , , and .
- 2008. Relationships between soil temperatures and properties of fire in feathertop spinifex (Triodia schinzii (Henrard) Lazarides) sandridge desert in central Australia. Rangeland Journal 30:317–325. , and .
- 1982. Fire ecology: United States and southern Canada. Wiley-Interscience, New York. , and .
- 1999. Residue management of perennial ryegrass and tall fescue seed crops. Agronomy Journal 91:671–675. , , and .
- 2005. Implementation of the fire and fire surrogate study—a national research effort to evaluate the consequences of fuel reduction treatments. Pages 315–321 in C. E.Peterson, D. A.Maguire, editors. Balancing ecosystem values: innovative experiments for sustainable forestry: proceedings of a conference. General Technical Report PNW-635. USDA Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station, Portland, Oregon. , , , , , , and .
- 1999. Fundamentals of weed science. Academic Press, San Diego, California.