(The order of the author's names were amended after online publish date of June 9 2010)
Evaluating Methods for Transplanting Endangered Elkhorn Corals in the Virgin Islands
Version of Record online: 9 JUN 2010
© 2010 Society for Ecological Restoration International
Volume 19, Issue 3, pages 299–306, May 2011
How to Cite
Forrester, G. E., O'Connell-Rodwell, C., Baily, P., Forrester, L. M., Giovannini, S., Harmon, L., Karis, R., Krumholz, J., Rodwell, T. and Jarecki, L. (2011), Evaluating Methods for Transplanting Endangered Elkhorn Corals in the Virgin Islands. Restoration Ecology, 19: 299–306. doi: 10.1111/j.1526-100X.2010.00664.x
- Issue online: 25 APR 2011
- Version of Record online: 9 JUN 2010
- 2006. Artificial reefs vs coral transplantation as restoration tools for mitigating coral reef deterioration: benefits, concerns, and proposed guidelines. Bulletin of Marine Science 78:151–159.
- 2004. Image processing with ImageJ. Biophotonics International 11:36–42. , , and .
- 1997. Stasis, biological disturbance, and community structure of a Holocene coral reef. Paleobiology 23:326–346. , and .
- 2001. White-band disease and the changing face of Caribbean coral reefs. Hydrobiologia 460:25–38. , and .
- 1982. Coral transplantation - an approach to the reestablishment of damaged reefs. Kalikasan-The Philippine Journal of Biology 11:158–172.
- 1979. Distribution, abundance and survival of juvenile hermatypic corals (Scleractinia) and the importance of life-history strategies in the parent coral community. Marine Biology 54:341–352. , and .
- 2008. Transplantation as a method for restoring the seagrass Posidonia australis. Estuarine Coastal and Shelf Science 79:289–299. , and .
- 2008. A restoration genetics guide for coral reef conservation. Molecular Ecology 17:2796–2811.
- 2005. Regionally isolated populations of an imperiled Caribbean coral, Acropora palmata. Molecular Ecology 14:1377–1390. , , and .
- 2004. Confronting the coral reef crisis. Nature 429:827–833. , , , and .
- 2001. Advances in captive husbandry and propagation: an easily utilized reef replenishment means from the private sector? Bulletin of Marine Science 69:897–913. , and .
- 2001. Low-tech coral reef restoration methods modeled after natural fragmentation processes. Bulletin of Marine Science 69:915–931.
- 2001. Condition of restored Acropora palmata fragments off Mona Island, Puerto Rico, 2 years after the Fortuna Reefer ship grounding. Coral Reefs 20:235–243. , and .
- 2001. Three-dimensional morphometric measurements of reef corals using underwater photogrammetry techniques. Coral Reefs 20:193–199. , , and .
- 2005. Restoration of the bull kelp Nereocystis luetkeana in nearshore rocky habitats. Marine Ecology Progress Series 302:49–61. , , , and .
- 2008. Comparison of three types of adhesives in attaching coral transplants to clam shell substrates. Aquatic Conservation-Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 18:1140–1148. , , and .
- 1980. Aspects of the ecology of coral reefs surrounding Anegada, British Virgin Islands. Atoll Research Bulletin 236:1–83. , and .
- 1998. Coral transplantation: a useful management tool or misguided meddling? Marine Pollution Bulletin 37:474–487. , and .
- 2007. Reef restoration concepts and guidelines: making sensible management choices in the face of uncertainty. Coral Reef Targeted Research & Capacity Building for Management Programme, St. Lucia, Australia. , and .
- 2000. Restoration of mangrove ecosystems. Restoration Ecology 8:217–218.
- 2003. Applying forest restoration principles to coral reef rehabilitation. Aquatic Conservation-Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 13:387–395. , , and .
- Federal Register. 2006. Endangered and threatened species: final listing determinations for Elkhorn Coral and Staghorn Coral. Federal Register 71:26852–26861.
- 1995. Hurricanes cause population expansion of the branching coral Acropora palmata (Scleractinia): wound healing and growth patterns of asexual recruits. Marine Ecology 16:317–335. , and .
- 2003. Long-term region-wide declines in Caribbean corals. Science 301:958–960. , , , , and .
- 2008. Storm-generated coral fragments - a viable source of transplants for reef rehabilitation. Biological Conservation 141:3089–3100. , and .
- 1991. Distribution and abundance of corals at Isla Iiguana, Pacific of Panama. Revista De Biologia Tropical 39:225–231. , , and .
- 1988. Accelerated regeneration of hard corals: a manual for coral reef users and managers. GBRMPA Technical Memorandum 16, Townsville, QLD, Australia. , and .
- 1982. Reproduction by fragmentation in corals. Marine Ecology-Progress Series 7:207–226.
- 1980. Survival of hurricane-generated coral fragments and a disturbance model of reef calcification-growth rates. Oecologia 46:322–329. , , and .
- 2003. Coral-algal competition: macroalgae with different properties have different effects on corals. Marine Ecology-Progress Series 258:87–95. , and .
- 2003. Coral reef rehabilitation through transplantation of staghorn corals: effects of artificial stabilization and mechanical damages. Coral Reefs 22:217–223.
- 1997. Patterns of damage to the branching coral Acropora palmata following Hurricane Andrew: damage and survivorship of hurricane-generated asexual recruits. Journal of Coastal Research 13:67–72. , and .
- 2000. Fragmentation in the branching coral Acropora palmata (Lamarck): growth, survivorship, and reproduction of colonies and fragments. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 251:41–57.
- 2001. Competition between corals and algae on coral reefs: a review of evidence and mechanisms. Coral Reefs 19:400–417. , , and .
- 2008. Restoration demography and genetics of plants: when is a translocation successful? Australian Journal of Botany 56:187–196.
- 2000. Growth and survival of unattached Madracis mirabilis fragments transplanted to different reef sites, and the implication for reef rehabilitation. Bulletin of Marine Science 66:497–505. , , , and .
- 2006. Differential competitive abilities between Caribbean coral species and a brown alga: a year of experiments and a long-term perspective. Marine Ecology-Progress Series 315:75–86. , and .
- 2005. Successful methods for transplanting fragments of Acropora formosa and Acropora hyacinthus. Coral Reefs 24:333–342. , , and .
- 1987. Preservation of rare coral species by transplantation and examination of their recruitment and growth. Bulletin of Marine Science 41:585–593. , and .
- 2006. Coral reef restoration handbook: the rehabilitation of an ecosystem under siege. CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida.
- 2004. The potential listing of Acropora species under the US Endangered Species Act. Marine Pollution Bulletin 49:534–536. , , and .
- 2002. Experimental design and data analysis for biologists. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. , and .
- 2001. Mediation of growth by conspecific neighbors and the effect of site in transplanted fragments of the coral Porites attenuata Nemenzo in the central Philippines. Coral Reefs 20:263–272.
- 2005. Conservation of coral reefs through active restoration measures: recent approaches and last decade progress. Environmental Science & Technology 39:4333–4342.
- 2006. Indirect effects of algae on coral: algae-mediated, microbe-induced coral mortality. Ecology Letters 9:835–845. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1999. An experimental assessment of survival, re-attachment and fecundity of coral fragments. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 235:147–164. , and .
- 2003. Coral transplantation: regeneration and growth of Acropora fragments in a nursery. Restoration Ecology 11:62–71. , and .
- 1997. Experiments in ecology: their logical design and interpretation using analysis of variance. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 1985. Reproduction, recruitment and fragmentation in nine sympatric species of the coral genus Acropora. Marine Biology 88: 217–233.
- 2008. Status of Caribbean coral reefs after bleaching and hurricanes in 2005. Global Coral Reef Monitoring Network, and Reef and Rainforest Research Centre, Townsville, QLD, Australia. , and .
- 2008. Recruitment failure in Florida Keys Acropora palmata, a threatened Caribbean coral. Coral Reefs 27:697–705. , , and .
- 2000. The case for restoration of tropical coastal ecosystems. Ocean & Coastal Management 43:841–851.
- 1992. Trends in growth and mortality of 3 coral species (Anthozoa, Scleractinia), including effects of transplantation. Marine Ecology-Progress Series 83:91–101. , , and .