Mapping Restoration Opportunity for Collaborating with Land Managers in a Carbon Credit-Funded Restoration Program in the Makana Municipality, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Version of Record online: 26 OCT 2010
© 2010 Society for Ecological Restoration International
Volume 20, Issue 1, pages 56–64, January 2012
How to Cite
Curran, P., Smedley, D., Thompson, P. and Knight, A. T. (2012), Mapping Restoration Opportunity for Collaborating with Land Managers in a Carbon Credit-Funded Restoration Program in the Makana Municipality, Eastern Cape, South Africa. Restoration Ecology, 20: 56–64. doi: 10.1111/j.1526-100X.2010.00746.x
- Issue online: 4 JAN 2012
- Version of Record online: 26 OCT 2010
- 1989. The practice of social research. 5th edition. Wadsworth Publishing Company, Belmont.
- 2002. Attitudes and attitude change. Psychology Press, New York. , and .
- 2006a. Coefficient Beta and hierarchical item clustering: an analytical procedure for establishing and displaying the dimensionality and homogeneity of summated scales. Organizational Research Methods 9:78–98. , and .
- 2006b. Coefficient Beta and hierarchical item clustering: an analytical procedure for establishing and displaying the dimensionality and homogeneity of summated scales: Erratum. Organizational Research Methods 9:252. , and .
- 1951. Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests. Psychometrika 16:297–334.
- 2006. Systematic landscape restoration using integer programming. Biological Conservation 128:369–383. , and .
- 1998. Landcare, stewardship and sustainable agriculture in Australia. Environmental Values 7:59–78. , and .
- 2001. The economic benefits of the Kyoto Protocol. Nature 413:478–479. , , , and .
- DWAF. 2004. The working for water program: annual report. Department of Water Affairs and Forestry, Pretoria.
- Rgraphviz: provides plotting capabilities for R graph objects. R package version 1.16.0. , , , and . Undated.
- 1961. Snowball sampling. Annals of Mathematical Statistics 32:148–170.
- 2001. Understanding and measuring social capital: a multi-disciplinary tool for practitioners. World Bank, Washington, D.C. , and .
- IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change). 2007. Climate change 2007 - the physical science basis: contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the IPCC. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom.
- 2007. Global warming is changing the world. Science 316: 188–190.
- 2007. Embracing opportunism in the selection of priority conservation areas. Conservation Biology 21:1124–1126. , and .
- 2003. Keeping people on the land in living landscapes: a co-operative strategy for conserving landscapes and enhancing livelihoods in the subtropical thicket biome. A report for partners of the Subtropical Thicket Ecosystem Planning (STEP) Project. Terrestrial Ecology Research Unit Report No. 46. University of Port Elizabeth, South Africa. , , , and .
- 2010. Mapping human and social dimensions of conservation opportunity on private land. Conservation Biology 24:1348–1358. , , , and .
- 2004. All downhill from here? Science 303:1600–1602.
- 2005. Patterns and implications of transformation in semi-arid succulent thicket, South Africa. Journal of Arid Environments 62:459–474. , , and .
- 1998. Numerical ecology—developments in environmental modelling. 2nd edition. Elsevier Science B.V, Amsterdam. , and .
- 1996. The vegetation of South Africa, Lesotho and Swaziland. Department of Environmental Affairs and Tourism Government Printer, South Africa. , and .
- 2002. Patterns of transformation and degradation in the thicket biome, South Africa. TERU Report No. 39. University of Port Elizabeth, Port Elizabeth. , , and .
- 2008. Climate change: ‘Hockey stick’ holds up. Nature 455: 140–141.
- 2000. Systematic conservation planning. Nature 405:243–253. , and .
- 2007. Habitat restoration—do we know what we’re doing? Restoration Ecology 15:382–390. , and .
- 2006. Rate of carbon sequestration at two thicket restoration sites in the Eastern Cape, South Africa. Restoration Ecology 14:38–49. , and .
- 2005. Effects of goat pastoralism on ecosystem carbon storage in semiarid thicket, Eastern Cape, South Africa. Austral Ecology 30:797–804. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Using landholder perspectives to evaluate and improve recovery planning for Toolibin Lake in the West Australian wheat belt. Ecological Management and Restoration 6:111–117. , and .
- 2005. Economics and land-use change in prioritizing private land conservation. Conservation Biology 19:1411–1420. , , , and .
- 1978. Psychometric theory. 2nd edition. McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Carbon sequestration and restoration: challenges and opportunities in subtropical thicket. Unpublished. , , and .
- R-core (R Development Core Team). 2007. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 1979. Hierarchical cluster analysis and the internal structure of tests. Multivariate Behavioral Research 14:57–74.
- 2007. Psych: procedures for personality and psychological research. R package version 1.0-33.
- 1976. A unifying tool for linear multivariate statistical methods: the RV—coefficient. Applied Statistics 25:257–265. , and .
- 2002. The C-OAR-SE procedure for scale development in marketing. International Journal of Research in Marketing 19:305–335.
- 2006. Participatory landscape analysis to guide restoration of ponderosa pine ecosystems in the American Southwest. Landscape and Urban Planning 78:300–310. , , , , , and .
- StatSoft, Inc. 2008. STATISTICA (data analysis software system), version 8.0. www.statsoft.com.
- 2004. Maputaland-Pondoland-Albany. Pages 218–229 in R. A. Mittermeier, M. Hoffmann, J. D. Pilgrim, T. B. Brooks, C. G. Mittermeier, J. L. Lamoreux, and G. A. B da Fonseca, editors. Hotspots revisited: Earth's biologically richest and most endangered ecoregions. Cemex, Mexico City. , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Economic incentives to conserve wildlife on private lands: analysis and policy. The Environmentalist 24:153–163.
- 2001. Trading carbon tradable offsets under Kyoto's clean development mechanism: the economic advantages to buyers and sellers of using call options. Ecological Economics 37:173–182.
- UNFCC (United Nations Framework on Climate Change). 1998. Kyoto protocol to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (Online). Available: http://unfccc.int/resource/docs/convkp/kpeng.pdf (Accessed 23/03/2009).
- 1998. Ecosystem services, efficiency, sustainability and equity: South Africa's Working for Water programme. TREE 13:378. , , and .
- 2002. Subtropical thicket ecosystem planning (STEP) project: biological report survey (Plants and Birds). Unpublished Consultancy Report to the Terrestrial Ecology Research Unit, University of Port Elizabeth. , and .
- 2003. Acock's Valley Bushveld 50 years on: new perspectives on the delimitation characterization and origin of subtropical thicket vegetation. South African Journal of Botany 69:27–51. , , and .
- 2000. Making collaboration work: lessons from innovation in natural resource management. Island Press, Washington, D.C. , and .
- 2005. Cronbach's α, Revelle's β, and McDonald's ωH: their relations with each other and two alternative conceptualizations of reliability. Psychometrika 70:123–133. , , , and .