The Effectiveness of Riparian ‘Restoration’ on Water Quality—A Case Study of Lowland Streams in Canterbury, New Zealand
Article first published online: 30 APR 2012
© 2012 Society for Ecological Restoration International
Volume 21, Issue 1, pages 40–48, January 2013
How to Cite
Collins, K. E., Doscher, C., Rennie, H. G. and Ross, J. G. (2013), The Effectiveness of Riparian ‘Restoration’ on Water Quality—A Case Study of Lowland Streams in Canterbury, New Zealand. Restoration Ecology, 21: 40–48. doi: 10.1111/j.1526-100X.2011.00859.x
- Issue published online: 22 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 30 APR 2012
- 1994. Role of buffer strips in management of waterway pollution: a review Environmental Management 18:543–558. , and .
- 2002. Stream restoration and enhancement projects: is anyone monitoring? Environmental Management 29:877–885. , and .
- 2003. Local habitat restoration in stream: constraints on the effectiveness of restoration for stream biota Ecological Management and Restoration 4:193–198. , and .
- 2000. Use of invertebrates in monitoring Pages 344–373 in K. J. Collier and M. J. Winterbourn, editors. New Zealand stream invertebrates: ecology and implications for management New Zealand Limnological Society, Christchurch, New Zealand. , and .
- 1995. Managing riparian zones: a contribution to protecting New Zealand's rivers and streams—volume 1: concepts Department of Conservation, Wellington, New Zealand (available from http://www.doc.govt.nz/upload/documents/science-and-technical/riparianzones1.pdf). , , , , , and .
- 2009. Modelling the time course of shade, temperature, and wood recovery in streams with riparian forest restoration New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 43:673–688. , , , and .
- 2001. Protecting and restoring our natural heritage: a practical guide Department of Conservation, Christchurch, New Zealand (available from http://www.doc.govt.nz/upload/documents/conservation/native-plants/motukarara-nursery/restoration-guide-complete.pdf). , and .
- DSIR (Department of Scientific and Industrial Research). 1965. General survey of the soils of the South Island, New Zealand. Soil Bureau Bulletin, no 27, map 9.
- 1997. The effectiveness and restoration potential of riparian ecotones for the management of nonpoint source pollution, particularly nitrate Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology 27:285–317. , and .
- Hach Limited. 2003. Water analysis handbook. 4th edition. Hach Limited, Loveland, Colorado.
- 2009. Stream habitat assessment protocols for wadeable rivers and streams of New Zealand. University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand (available from http://www.envirolink.govt.nz/PageFiles/31/Stream%20Habitat%20Assessment%20Protocols.pdf). , , , , , , et al.
- Hughey, K., and K. Taylor, editors. 2009. Te Waihora/Lake Ellesmere: state of the lake and future management EOS Ecology, Christchurch, New Zealand (available from http://www.wet.org.nz/events/living-lakes-symposium-2007/).
- 2009. Effects of riparian manipulation on stream communities in small streams: two case studies New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 43:763–774. , , and .
- 1995. Evaluating stream restoration projects Environmental Management 19:1–15. , and .
- 2003. Land environments of New Zealand. Nga taiao o Aotearoa David Bateman, Auckland, New Zealand. , , , , , , , and .
- 1998. Numerical ecology 2nd edition. Elsevier Science, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. , and .
- MAF & MfE (Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry and Ministry for the Environment). 2006. Freshwater for the future Sustainable Development New Zealand Programme of Action, Wellington, New Zealand (available from http://www.mfe.govt.nz/publications/water/freshwater-infosheet-apr06/freshwater-infosheet-apr06.pdf).
- 2004. Principal component analysis: an appropriate tool for water quality evaluation and management-application to a tropical lake system Ecological Modelling 178:295–311. , , and .
- 2005. Review of riparian buffer zone effectiveness Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, Wellington, New Zealand (available from http://ecan.govt.nz/publications/Consent%20Notifications/upper-waitaki-submitter-evidence-maf-technical-paper-review-riparian-buffer-zone-effectiveness.pdf).
- 2000. Review of information on riparian buffer widths necessary to support sustainable vegetation and meet aquatic functions. Report prepared by NIWA for Auckland Regional Council, Hamilton, New Zealand (available from http://www.arc.govt.nz/albany/fms/main/Documents/Plans/Technical%20publications/301-350/TP350%20Review%20of%20Information%20on%20Riparian%20Buffer%20Widths%20Necessary%20to%20Support%20Sustainable%20Vegetation%20and%20Meet%20Aquatic%20Functions.pdf). , , and .
- 2003. Planted riparian buffer zones in New Zealand: do they live up to expectations? Restoration Ecology 11:436–477. , , , , and .
- 1997. Freshwater ecosystem services. Pages 195–214 in G. Daily, editor. Nature's services: societal dependence on natural ecosystems Island Press, Washington, DC. , and .
- 2000. Effects of pastoral development. Pages 208–229 in K. J. Collier and M. J. Winterbourn, editors. New Zealand stream invertebrates: ecology and implications for management. New Zealand Limnological Society, Christchurch, New Zealand.
- 1993. Riparian zones as buffer strips: a New Zealand perspective. Pages 53–87 in S. E. Bunn, B. J. Pusey, and P. Price, editors. Ecology and management of riparian zones in Australia. Land and Water Australia, Canberra, Australia. , , and .
- 2010. Acronyms, acronyms everywhere… Water players and programmes in the Selwyn/Christchurch area Lincoln Planning Review 2:11–14. , and .
- 1998. Transition from pasture to native forest land-use along stream continua: effects of stream ecosystems and implication for restoration New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 33:293–310. , and .
- 2009. Genetic principles for freshwater restoration in New Zealand New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 43:749–762.
- 1985. A macroinvertebrate community index of water quality for stony streams. Water and Soil Miscellaneous Publication, 87. National Water and Soil Conservation Authority, Wellington, New Zealand.
- 1993. Performance of the macroinvertebrate community index: effects of sampling method, sample replication, water depth, current velocity and substratum on index values New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 27:463–478.
- 2001. Protocols for sampling macroinvertebrates in wadeable streams. New Zealand Macroinvertebrates Working Group Report No. 1. Ministry for the Environment, Wellington, New Zealand (available from http://www.cawthron.org.nz/coastal-freshwater-resources/downloads/protocols-full-manual.pdf). , , , , and .
- 2007. A user guide for the Macroinvertebrate Community Index. Prepared for the Ministry for the Environment, Nelson, New Zealand. Cawthron Report No. 1166. 58p (available from http://www.mfe.govt.nz/publications/water/mci-user-guide-may07/mci-user-guide-may07.pdf). , and .
- 1976. The recolonization mechanisms of stream benthos Oikos 27:265–272. , and .
- 2006. Guide to the aquatic invertebrates of New Zealand Pages 14. 4th edition. Bulletin of the Entomological Society of New Zealand, Christchurch, New Zealand. , , and .
- 2007. Response of the benthic fauna of an urban stream during six years of restoration New Zealand Natural Sciences 32:1–12. , , and .
- 2009. Biostatistical analysis 5th edition. Prentice Hall, New Jersey.