Conflict of Interest: Dr. Tepper has received grants and research support from Allergan, Alexza, ANS/Advanced Bionics, AstraZeneca, Eisai, Endo, Forrest, GSK, King, MAP, Merck, Medtronix, Minster, Neurochem, NMT, Novartis, Nupathe, OrthoMcNeil, Pfizer, Pozen, Proethic, Takeda, Winston, and Vernalis; has been a consultant for Allergan, AstraZeneca, Coherex, Elan, Endo, Forrest, GSK, Merck, NMT, OrthoMcNeil, and Vernalis; has been on the speakers bureau of Allergan, AstraZeneca, Endo, GSK, Merck, NMT, OrthoMcNeil, Pfizer, and Valeant; and is on the advisory boards of GSK and Merck. Dr. Stillman has received grants and research support from GSK and MAP; is on the speakers bureau of Allergan, GSK, Merck, OrthoMcNeil, Pfizer, and Valeant; and is on the advisory boards of GSK and Pfizer.
Clinical and Preclinical Rationale for CGRP-Receptor Antagonists in the Treatment of Migraine
Version of Record online: 2 SEP 2008
© 2008 the Authors. Journal compilation © 2008 American Headache Society
Headache: The Journal of Head and Face Pain
Volume 48, Issue 8, pages 1259–1268, September 2008
How to Cite
Tepper, S. J. and Stillman, M. J. (2008), Clinical and Preclinical Rationale for CGRP-Receptor Antagonists in the Treatment of Migraine. Headache: The Journal of Head and Face Pain, 48: 1259–1268. doi: 10.1111/j.1526-4610.2008.01214.x
- Issue online: 2 SEP 2008
- Version of Record online: 2 SEP 2008
- Accepted for publication June 16, 2008.
- 22Profile of MK-0974, the first orally bioavailable CGRP receptor antagonist. Headache. 2007;47:812 (abstract)., , , et al.
- 36Program to assess headache treatment strategies: An observational study of botulinum toxin type A in the preventive treatment of headache. Headache. 2006;46:846-847 (abstract)., , , et al.
- 37Predictors of outcomes with botulinum toxin type A in the preventive treatment of headache. Cephalalgia. 2006;26:1371 (abstract)., , , et al.
- 49Development of human calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) receptor antagonists. 1. Potent and selective small molecule CGRP antagonists. 1-[N2-[3,5-Dibromo-N-[[4-(3,4-dihydro-2(1H)-oxoquinazolin-3-yl)-1-piperidinyl]carbonyl]-D-tyrosyl]-L-lysyl]-4-(4-pyridinyl) piperazine: The first CGRP antagonist for clinical trials in acute migraine. J Med Chem. 2005;48:5921-5931., , , et al.
- 52Safety, tolerability and pharmacokinetics of BIBN 4096 BS, the first selective small molecule calcitonin gene-related peptide receptor antagonist, following single intravenous administration in healthy volunteers. Cephalalgia. 2004;24:645-656., , , , .
- 54Pharmacological characterization of MK-0974 [N-[(3R,6S)-6-(2,3-difluorophenyl)-2-oxo-1-(2,2,2-trifluoroethyl)azepan-3-yl]-4-(2-oxo-2,3-dihydro-1 H-imidazo[4,5-b]pyridin-1-yl)piperidine-1-carboxamide], a potent and orally active calcitonin gene-related peptide receptor antagonist for the treatment of migraine. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2008;324:416-421., , , et al.
- 55An adaptive two-stage design in a Phase 2 dose-finding trial to treat acute migraine. Neurology. 2007;68(Suppl. 1):A195 (abstract)., , .
- 56MK-0974 oral CGRP antagonist inhibits capsaicin-induced increase in dermal microvascular blood flow. Neurology. 2007;68(Suppl. 1):A307 (abstract), also in Headache 2007;47:811 (abstract)., , , et al.
- 57MK-0974, a novel oral CGRP antagonist, exhibits similar pharmacokinetics during and between migraine attacks. Headache. 2007;47:811-812 (abstract)., , , et al.
- 59Platform presentation. American Headache Society meeting, Chicago, 2007..
- 60Antimigraine efficacy and tolerability of the novel oral CGRP receptor antagonist MK-0974: A Phase III clinical trial versus placebo and zolmitriptan. Headache. 2008;48:S7-8 (abstract)., , , et al.
- 61Sustained pain freedom and no adverse events” as an endpoint in clinical trials of acute migraine treatments: Application to patient-level data from a trial of the CGRP receptor antagonist, MK-0974, and zolmitriptan. Headache. 2008;48:S41-42 (abstract)., , , ,
- 62Platform presentation, American Headache Society meeting. Boston. 2008..
- 63Assessment of the effect of MK-0974, and oral CGRP receptor antagonist, on spontaneous ischemia in patients with stable cardiovascular disease. Headache. 2008;48:S39., , , et al.
- 64Effect of MK-0974, an oral CGRP antagonist, on the hemodynamic response to sublingual nitroglycerin. Headache. 2008;48:S63-64., , , et al.