Barriers and Facilitators to Chronic Pain Self-Management: A Qualitative Study of Primary Care Patients with Comorbid Musculoskeletal Pain and Depression
Version of Record online: 6 OCT 2009
© American Academy of Pain Medicine
Volume 10, Issue 7, pages 1280–1290, October 2009
How to Cite
Bair, M. J., Matthias, M. S., Nyland, K. A., Huffman, M. A., Stubbs, D. L., Kroenke, K. and Damush, T. M. (2009), Barriers and Facilitators to Chronic Pain Self-Management: A Qualitative Study of Primary Care Patients with Comorbid Musculoskeletal Pain and Depression. Pain Medicine, 10: 1280–1290. doi: 10.1111/j.1526-4637.2009.00707.x
- Issue online: 6 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 6 OCT 2009
- 1Peter D. Hart Research Associates. America speaks: Pain in America survey. 2003. Available at: http://www.researchamerica.org/uploads/poll2003pain.pdf (accessed August 29, 2009).
- 3Clinical outcome and economic evaluation of multidisciplinary pain centers. In: BlockAR, KremerEF, FernandezE, eds. Handbook of Pain Syndromes: Biopsychosocial Perspectives. Mahway, NJ: Erlbaum; 1999:77–98., , .
- 11Perspectives on Management of Back Pain in Primary Care. Seattle, WA: IASP Press; 1994..
- 12Institute of Medicine: Committee on Identifying Priority Areas for Quality Improvement. Priority Areas for National Action: Transforming: Health Care. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2003.
- 30Social Foundations of Thought and Action: A Social Cognitive Theory. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall; 1986..
- 35Research practice settings: A case study approach. In: CrabtreeBF, MillerWL, eds. Doing Qualitative Research, 2nd edition. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage; 1999:293–312., .
- 36Research Methods in Anthropology: Qualitative and Quantitative Approaches. Walnut Creek, CA: AltaMira Press; 2002..
- 37Qualitative Data Analysis. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage; 1994., .
- 41Long-term effects of a stepped intervention on self-management behaviors among primary care patients with pain and depression. Presented at the Society of Behavioral Medicine Annual Meeting April 23, 2009; Montreal, Canada., , , et al.
- 43Self-Management support and communication from nurse care managers compared to primary care physicians: A Focus Group Study of Patients with Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain. Pain Manage Nurs (in press)., , , et al.