The findings and conclusions in this report are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs and Death Rates from Drug Overdose
Version of Record online: 18 FEB 2011
Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 12, Issue 5, pages 747–754, May 2011
How to Cite
Paulozzi, L. J., Kilbourne, E. M. and Desai, H. A. (2011), Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs and Death Rates from Drug Overdose. Pain Medicine, 12: 747–754. doi: 10.1111/j.1526-4637.2011.01062.x
No financial disclosures were reported by the authors of this article.
- Issue online: 12 MAY 2011
- Version of Record online: 18 FEB 2011
- 3Unintentional poisoning deaths—United States, 1999–2004. MMWR 2007;56:93–6., .
- 5Misuse of prescription drugs: Data from the 2002, 2003, and 2004 National Surveys on Drug Use and Health. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration; 2006. Report No. DHHS Publication No. SMA 06-4192, Analytic Series A-28., , , .
- 8U.S. General Accounting Office. Prescription Drugs: State Monitoring Programs Provide Useful Tool to Reduce Diversion. Washington, DC: U.S. General Accounting Office; 2002. Report No. GAO-02-634.
- 10U.S. Department of Justice Drug Enforcement Administration. Prescription drug monitoring programs. Available at: http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/faq/rx_monitor.htm (accessed October 2008).
- 11U.S. Department of Justice Drug Enforcement Administration. Harold Rogers Prescription Drug Monitoring Program. Available at: http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/BJA/grant/prescripdrugs.html (accessed December 2009).
- 12U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Request for comment on minimum requirements for criteria in grant applications under the National All Schedules Prescription electronic Reporting Act of 2005 (NASPER). Available at: http://www.thefederalregister.com/d.p/2009-04-29-E9-9854 (accessed May 2009).
- 14An Evaluation of Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs; 2006., .
- 18National Center for Health Statistics. Vintage 2006 bridged-race postcensal population estimates. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/bridged_race/data_documentation.htm#vintage2006 (accessed July 2008).
- 19U.S. Census Bureau. Historical income tables—Households, median household income by state: 1984–2007. Available at: http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/income/data/historical/state/index.html (accessed January 2011).
- 20U.S. Census Bureau. Educational attainment of the population 25 years and over, by state, including confidence intervals of estimates. Available at: http://www.census.gov/population/www/socdemo/educ-attn.html (accessed January 2009).
- 21NCHS urban–rural classification scheme for counties. Available at: ftp://ftp.cdc.gov/pub/Health_Statistics/NCHS/Dataset_Documentation/OAE/urbanrural/methodology.doc (accessed January 2009)., .
- 22U.S. Department of Justice (USDOJ) Drug Enforcement Administration. Drug scheduling. Available at: http://www.dea.gov/pubs/scheduling.pdf (accessed September 2008).
- 24National Alliance for Model State Drug Laws. Prescription drug monitoring programs. A brief overview. Available at: http://namsdl.org/presdrug.htm (accessed January 2011).
- 25IJIS Institute. PMP Committee Phase II PMIX Pilot Project Survey of State Prescription Monitoring Programs. Ashburn, VA: IJIS Institute; 2007. Available at: http://www.ijis.org/_publications/proj_reports.html (accessed January 2009).
- 26A primer for panel data analysis. Available at: http://www.nyu.edu/its/pubs/connect/fall03/yaffee_primer.html (accessed January 2009)..
- 28The contiguity ratio and statistical mapping. Incorporated Statistician 1954;5:115–45..
- 31The influence of multiple copy prescription programs on analgesic utilization. J Pharm Care Pain Symptom Control 1996;4:3–19., .
- 32Top 200 generic drugs. Available at: http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Drugtopics.com+Exclusives/Top-200-generic-drugs-by-units-in-2007/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/491194?searchString=top%20200%20generic%202008 (accessed March 2009).
- 33Top 200 brand drugs. Available at: http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/data/articlestandard//drugtopics/072008/491207/article.pdf (accessed March 2009).
- 35Office of the Inspector General. Multiple Copy Prescription Programs: State Experiences. Washington, DC: Department of Health and Human Services; 1992. Report No. OEI-12-91-00490.