Panel assembled July 31, 2009, Salt Lake City, Utah
An Analysis of the Root Causes for Opioid-Related Overdose Deaths in the United States
Article first published online: 13 JUN 2011
Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Special Issue: Deaths Related to Opioids Prescribed for Chronic Pain: Causes and Solutions
Volume 12, Issue Supplement s2, pages S26–S35, June 2011
How to Cite
Webster, L. R., Cochella, S., Dasgupta, N., Fakata, K. L., Fine, P. G., Fishman, S. M., Grey, T., Johnson, E. M., Lee, L. K., Passik, S. D., Peppin, J., Porucznik, C. A., Ray, A., Schnoll, S. H., Stieg, R. L. and Wakeland, W. (2011), An Analysis of the Root Causes for Opioid-Related Overdose Deaths in the United States. Pain Medicine, 12: S26–S35. doi: 10.1111/j.1526-4637.2011.01134.x
- Issue published online: 13 JUN 2011
- Article first published online: 13 JUN 2011
- 1Increase in fatal poisonings involving opioid analgesics in the United States, 1999–2006. NCHS Data Brief 2009;22:1–8., , .
- 3Mortality Data—Vital Statistics NCHS's Multiple Cause of Death Data, 1959–2006. National Bureau of Economic Research. Available at: http://www.nber.org/data/multicause.html (accessed October 2010).
- 5Proposed Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategy (REMS) for Long-Acting and Extended-Release Opioids. U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research. Joint meeting of the Anesthetic and Life Support Drugs Advisory Committee (ALSDAC) and the Drug Safety and Risk Management Advisory Committee (DSaRM). July 22-23, 2010. Available at: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AdvisoryCommittees/CommitteesMeetingMaterials/Drugs/AnestheticAndLifeSupportDrugsAdvisoryCommittee/UCM217510.pdf (accessed July 2010).
- 6Select Medical-Legal Reviews of Unintentional Overdose Deaths. Presented at: 2010 AAPM Annual Meeting; February 3–6, 2010; San Antonio, TX., , .
- 7Adapted from: Methadone Associated Overdose and Mortality Assessment Meeting, Drug Enforcement Administration. June 29–30. Arlington, VA: Office of Diversion Control; 2009.
- 8National Drug Intelligence Center, Drug Enforcement Administration, U.S. Department of Justice. Methadone diversion, abuse, and misuse: Deaths increasing at alarming rate. Product No. 2007-Q0317-001. Johnstown, PA: November 2007.
- 9Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Office of Applied Studies. Drug Abuse Warning Network, 2006: National Estimates of Drug-Related Emergency Department Visits. DAWN Series D-30, DHHS Publication No. (SMA) 08-4339, Rockville, MD, 2008.
- 10Prescription medication deaths in Utah: Summary of findings. Utah Department of Health, Workgroup Meeting, October 24–25, 2005. Available at: http://health.utah.gov/prescription/pdf/Prescription_medication_deaths_in_utah.pdf (accessed April 2008)., .
- 11Prescribing information for Dolophine® Hydrochloride CII (methadone hydrochloride tablets, USP) 5 mg, 10 mg. Roxane Laboratories, Inc. Columbus, Ohio: 27 November 2006. Available at: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/DrugSafety/PostmarketDrugSafetyInformationforPatientsandProviders/UCM142842.pdf (accessed May 2010).
- 13Psychological factors as predictors of opioid abuse and illicit drug use in chronic pain patients. J Opioid Manag 2007;3(2):89–100., , , et al.
- 16Testimony on Trends in Unintentional Drug Overdose Deaths. Before the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee, Subcommittee on Crime and Drugs. Wednesday, March 12, 2008. Available at: http://www.hhs.gov/asl/testify/2008/03/t20080312g.html#_ftn1#_ftn1 (accessed April 2009)..
- 19Chronic opioid use is a risk factor for the development of central sleep apnea and ataxic breathing. J Clin Sleep Med 2007;3(5):455–61., , , et al.
- 23Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Unintentional poisoning deaths—United States, 1999–2004. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2007;56(5):93–6.
- 26Update on prescription drug overdose research. University of Utah, School of Medicine. Public Health Program and Utah Department of Health. Available at: http://health.utah.gov/prescription/pdf/steering_com_pdf/ResearchUpdateApril.pdf (accessed May 2009)..
- 35Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Results from the 2007 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: National Findings (Office of Applied Studies, NSDUH Series H-34, DHHS Publication No. SMA 08-4343). Rockville, MD: Author; 2008.
- 36U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Public Health Advisory: Methadone Use for Pain Control May Result in Death and Life-Threatening Changes in Breathing and Heart Beat. Rockville, MD: Author; 2006.
- 37Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control. Unintentional Poisoning: CDC Research & Activities. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/poisoning/activities.htm (page last updated: March 12, 2010, accessed July 2010).