Evaluation of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy for Drug Refractory Epilepsy: A Randomized Controlled Trial in South Africa—A Pilot Study
Version of Record online: 28 NOV 2006
Volume 47, Issue 12, pages 2173–2179, December 2006
How to Cite
Lundgren, T., Dahl, J., Melin, L. and Kies, B. (2006), Evaluation of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy for Drug Refractory Epilepsy: A Randomized Controlled Trial in South Africa—A Pilot Study. Epilepsia, 47: 2173–2179. doi: 10.1111/j.1528-1167.2006.00892.x
- Issue online: 28 NOV 2006
- Version of Record online: 28 NOV 2006
- Accepted July 24, 2006.
- 2000) Reliability, Validity and Reproducibility of the WHOQOL.BREF in six countries. Accessed in October 2003, http://www.hrainc.net/pdf/ISOQOL_2000_Vancover_BREF.pdf , , , , , . (
- 1993) Efficacy of applied relaxation and cognitive-behavior therapy in the treatment of generalized anxiety disorder. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology 61:611–619. , . (
- WHO-CHOICE. (2005) Cost-effectiveness of first-line antiepileptic drug treatments in the developing world: a population-level analysis. Epilepsia 46:751–759. ;
- CullC, GoldsteinLH (Ed). (1997) The clinical psychologist's handbook of epilepsy. Routledge, New York .
- 1997) Assessing quality of life for people with disabilities. In BrownRI ( Ed ) Quality of life for handicapped people. Stanley Thomas Ltd, Cheltenham , England , pp.116–150. . (
- 1992) Epilepsy: a behavior medicine approach to assessment and treatment in children. Hogrefe and Huber Publisher, Gottingen , Seattle . . (
- 1992) Effects of a broad-spectrum behavioural medicine treatment program on children with refractory epileptic seizures: an 8 year follow-up. Epilepsia 33(1):98–102. , , . (
- 2005) Behavior analysis of epilepsy: conditioning mechanisms, behavior technology and the contribution of ACT. The Behavior Analyst Today 6(3):191–202. , . (
- 2004) Acceptance and commitment therapy and the treatment of persons at risk for long-term disability resulting from stress and pain symptoms: a preliminary randomized trial. Behavior Therapy 35:785–802. , , . (
- 1985) The Satisfaction With Life Scale. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 49:71–75. , , , . (
- 1989) Evoked and psychogenic epileptic seizures. Acta neurological. Scandinavica 80:535–540. , . (
- 1963) Statistical Tables for Biological, Agricultural and medical research. Oliver and Boyd Ltd., Edinburgh , Scotland . , . (
- 1990) Behavioural and cognitive-behavioural treatments for epilepsy: a progress review. British Journal of Clinical Psychology 29:257–269. . (
- 2004) A randomized control effectiveness trial comparing patient education with and without acceptance and commitment therapy. Doctoral dissertation: University of Nevada , Reno . . (
- 2001) Acceptance and commitment therapy, relational frame theory, and the third wave of behavior therapy. Behavior Therapy 35:639–665. . (
- HayesSC, Barnes-HolmesD, RocheB (Eds). (2001) Relational frame theory: a post-Skinnerian account of human language and cognition. Plenum Press, New York .
- 2006) Acceptance and commitment therapy: model, processes, and outcomes. Behavior Research and Therapy 44:1–25. , , , , . (
- HayesSC, StroshalK (Eds). (2005) A practitioners guide to acceptance and commitment therapy. Springer-Verlag, New York .
- 1999) Acceptance and commitment therapy: an experiential approach to behavior change. Guilford Press, New York . , , . (
- 2004) The relative impact of anxiety, depression, and clinical seizure features on health-related quality of life in epilepsy. Epilepsia 45:544. , , , . (
- 2000) Early identification of refractory epilepsy. New England Journal of Medicine 58:2–8. , . (
- 2004) A development and evaluation of an integrative health model in the treatment of epilepsy. Masters thesis: University of Uppsala , Sweden . . (
- 2002) A comparison of surgical and medical costs for refractory epilepsy. Epilepsia 43:25–31. , . (
- 2004) Psychological treatments for epilepsy. (Cochran Review). The Cochran Library, Issue 1. John Wiley and Sons, Ltd, Chichester , UK . , , . (
- 1984) Operant control of EEG, event related and slow potentials. Biofeedback and Self-regulation 9:139–160. , , , . (
- 2001) The treatment of epilepsy in developing countries: where do we go from here? Bulletin of the World Health Organization 79:344–351. , , . (
- Statistica 6.0. (2002) StatSoft Inc., Tulsa , USA .
- 2004) Medical risks in epilepsy: a review with focus on physical injuries, mortality, traffic accidents and prevention. Epilepsy Research 60:1–16. , , , . (
- 2005) Psychosocial intervention in pediatric epilepsy: A critique of the literature. Epilepsy and Behavior 8:39–49. , . (
- 2004) Epilepsy in children. 2nd ed. Arnold, London . , . (
- 1992) From precipitation to inhibition of seizures: rationale of a therapeutic paradigm. Epilepsia 46(suppl 1):15–16. . (
- World Health Organization. (1996) WHOQOL-BREF introduction, administration and generic version of the assessment programme on mental health. Geneva . Available at http://www.acpmh.unimelb.edu.au/whogol/instruments.html
- 2000) Yoga for epilepsy. Siezure 0:1–6. . (