Article first published online: 14 DEC 2006
Volume 47, Issue 12, pages 2208–2209, December 2006
How to Cite
Wolf, P. (2006), ANNOUNCEMENTS. Epilepsia, 47: 2208–2209. doi: 10.1111/j.1528-1167.2006.00945_4.x
- Issue published online: 14 DEC 2006
- Article first published online: 14 DEC 2006
The ILAE is proud to announce the establishment of a new prize, the Morris-Coole Prize for advancing knowledge in the field of epilepsy. The Prize –10,000 euros– will be awarded annually for a paper published in Epilepsia (during the preceding calendar year) that has made an exceptional contribution toward advancing knowledge in the field of epilepsy. The winning paper will be chosen by a panel comprised of the President of the ILAE and the two Editors-in-Chief of Epilepsia. This panel will consider a short-list of papers nominated by the Associate Editors of Epilepsia. Only full length original research articles are eligible. Nominated papers can report either basic or clinical findings, in any epilepsy-relevant research field. Eligible papers must not be (or have been) subject of any previous prize or award.
The Morris-Coole Prize will be awarded during the opening ceremony of the International Epilepsy Congress or of a major regional ILAE conference. The awardee(s) will be invited to present findings reported in the Prize-winning paper at a Morris-Coole Lecture at the conference. The 2006 award will be announced in the spring of 2007, and will be awarded at the XXVIIth International Epilepsy Congress in July 2007.
The Prize has been established through the generosity of Mr. Christopher Morris-Coole and his wife Sandra, with the intention of stimulating epilepsy research. Their hope is that the Prize will reward and encourage young researchers in the field, and provide an incentive to excellence.
ILAE Information Officer
ILAE members are invited to apply for the post of ILAE Information Officer. This executive post has overall responsibility for ILAE information and communication, and reports to the ILAE President. This is an unpaid position and will be appointed from April 1st 2007. The post entails the following duties:
- (a) ILAE newsletter (EPIGRAPH)The appointee assumes the role of Editor of EPIGRAPH, the ILAE newsletter. EPIGRAPH is published 4 times a year (3 online publications and one print publication). The Editor has overall responsibility for the newsletter (content and editorial policy). Duties involve the commissioning and editing of articles, planning content for future issues, writing editorials, and dealing with day to day correspondence in relation to the newsletter.
- (b) ILAE Website (http://www.ilae.org).The appointee assumes the role of Editor of the ILAE Website (http://www.ilae.org), and has overall responsibility for its structure, content, and editorial policy. The post involves commissioning and editing website content, updating the website, and dealing with day to day correspondence. The appointee also becomes Chair of the ILAE Website Task Force and is responsible for convening 2–3 meetings a year of the Task Force, taking the minutes of the meeting, and reporting to the ILAE Executive Committee on Task Force matters.
- (c) ILAE Archive.The appointee assumes oversight of the ILAE archive held in the Swiss Epilepsy Centre in Zurich. The appointee is responsible for archive policy and for commissioning accessions to the archive.
- (d) ILAE Executive Committee.The appointee becomes a non-voting member of the ILAE Executive Committee, and is expected to attend the biannual meetings of the ILAE Executive Committee and also the joint annual meetings of the ILAE and IBE Executive Committees. The appointee is responsible for the preparation of reports for the ILAE Executive Committee meetings and for inclusion in the ILAE Annual Report, and for presentations at other ILAE events (e.g., chapter conventions).
- (e) Other points.The appointee has overall responsibility for ILAE communications and information and for their development. The appointee will be expected to make recommendations for the strategic development of ILAE communication policy and to carry out other duties as directed by the ILAE President.
The appointee is assisted currently, in relation to tasks (a) and (b) above, by the ILAE Administrative Office which provides technical, logistical and editorial support.
The appointee must be able to communicate fluently in the English language; competence in other languages is desirable. He/she must be completely familiar with a range of conventional IT facilities. He/she must have a detailed knowledge of epilepsy and the ILAE. The most suitable candidates will be those who are medically qualified, have specialized in epilepsy, and who have been previously involved in ILAE. It is important for the appointee to be well organized, efficient (able to meet deadlines), and enthusiastic. The post requires a significant work commitment.
Applications, including a CV and an outline proposal, should be submitted to Professor Peter Wolf, ILAE President, by post and email
The Deadline for submission of applications is January 31st 2007.
Michael Prize 2005/2006
For the best contribution to scientific and clinical research which promotes further development in epileptology.
The Michael Prize is one of the most highly regarded international awards for the best contribution to scientific and clinical research promoting further developments in epileptology. It is awarded biannually and specially designed to attract younger scientists (under 45 years of age). Applications should be submitted in English or German and the prize money is 15.000 Euros. Publications which have appeared in 2005/2006 or papers of the same period not yet published will be considered. Members of the Jury are Colin Binnie, London, UK; Uwe Heinemann, Berlin, Germany; and Solomon Moshé, New York, USA. Since 2006 the Michael Prize has been sponsored by UCB International. Articles and papers, together with a curriculum vitae, should be submitted in triplicate to Stiftung Michael by December 31, 2006. For applications or for more information contact Stiftung Michael, Muenzkamp 5, D−22339 Hamburg, Germany. Tel.: +49 (0)40 5388540 Fax: +49 (0)40 5381559 e-mail: email@example.com