Disclaimer: The findings and conclusions in this report are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Prevalence of Active Epilepsy and Health-Related Quality of Life among Adults with Self-Reported Epilepsy in California: California Health Interview Survey, 2003
Article first published online: 12 JUN 2007
Volume 48, Issue 10, pages 1904–1913, October 2007
How to Cite
Kobau, R., Zahran, H., Grant, D., Thurman, D. J., Price, P. H. and Zack, M. M. (2007), Prevalence of Active Epilepsy and Health-Related Quality of Life among Adults with Self-Reported Epilepsy in California: California Health Interview Survey, 2003. Epilepsia, 48: 1904–1913. doi: 10.1111/j.1528-1167.2007.01161.x
- Issue published online: 12 JUN 2007
- Article first published online: 12 JUN 2007
- Accepted April 11, 2007.
- 2005) Psychogenic nonepileptic seizures. Am Fam Phys 72:851–855. , . (
- 2003) Two views of self-rated general health status. Soc Sci Med 56:203–217. , , . (
- 2002) The psychosocial burden of epilepsy. Epilepsia 43:26–30. . (
- 2003) The recognition and management of mood disorders as a comorbidity of epilepsy. Epilepsia 44:30–40. . (
- 2002) The economic cost of epilepsy. Epilepsia 4:3–9. , . (
- 2006) Telephone coverage and health survey estimates: evaluating the need for concern about wireless substitution. Am J Public Health 96:926–931. , , . (
- 1997) Patients' experiences of injury as a result of epilepsy. Epilepsia 38:439–444. , , , . (
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (1994) Prevalence of self-reported epilepsy. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 43:810–812. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00033483.htm
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (1998) Health-related quality of life and activity limitation: eight states. MMWR 1995;47:134–140. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00051443.htm
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2001) Health-related quality of life among persons with epilepsy–Texas, 1998. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 50:24–26. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5002a2.htm
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2004) 2003 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System Summary Data Quality Report. November 18, 2004. http://www.cdc.gov/brfss/technical_infodata/quality.htm.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2005) Prevalence of epilepsy and health-related quality of life and disability among adults with epilepsy, South Carolina, 2003 and 2004. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 54:1080–1082. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5442a4.htm
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2006) CDC Epilepsy Program. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 9-1-2006. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/epilepsy. Electronic Citation
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2007) CDC Health Related Quality of Life Program. 3-1-2007. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/hrqol.
- 2003) Opening a window of opportunity through technology and coordination: a multisite case study. Telemedicine J. E. Health 9:265–271. , , , , . (
- 1988) Strategies to enhance adherence to a medical regimen. In SchmidtD, LeppikIE (Eds) Compliance in epilepsy. Elsevier, Amsterdam , p. 163. , . (
- 2003) Psychiatric comorbidity in patients with epilepsy: implications for diagnosis and treatment. Epilepsy Behav 4:S2-S10. (
- 2004) Project EASE study group: a study to test a psychosocial model of epilepsy medication management. Epilepsy Behav 5:926–936. , , , , , . (
- Epilepsy Foundation. (2003) Living well with epilepsy II. LandoverMD, Epilepsy Foundation. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/epilepsy/pdfs/living_well_2003.pdf.
- 2000) The impact of epilepsy from the patient's perspective II: views about therapy and health care. Epilepsy Res 41:53–61. , , , , , , . (
- 2004) Development and validation of the medication regimen complexity index. Ann Pharmacother 38:1369–1376. , , , , . (
- 2002) Optimizing health outcomes in active epilepsy. Neurology 58:S9–S19. (
- 1998) Organizing health care for people with seizures and epilepsy. J Ambulatory Care Manage 21:1–17. , , , . (
- 2006) Use of medical informatics for management of multiple sclerosis using a chronic care model. J Rehabil Res Dev 43:1–16. , , , , , , . (
- 1991) Prevalence of epilepsy in Rochester, Minnesota: 1940–1991. Epilepsia 32:429–445. , , . (
- 2001) Epilepsy in Estonia: A quality of life study. Epilepsia 42:1061–1073. , , , . (
- 2005) Estimating prevalence, incidence, and disease-related mortality for patients with epilepsy in managed care organizations. Epilepsia 46:311–319. , , , , , , , . (
- International League Against Epilepsy Commission on Epidemiology and Prognosis. (1993) Guidelines for epidemiologic studies on epilepsy. Epilepsia 24:592–596.
- 2002) Stigma, epilepsy, and quality of life. Epilepsy Behav 3:S10–S20. (
- 2003) Depression in epilepsy: a frequently neglected multifaceted disorder. Epilepsy Behav 4:S11–S19. . (
- 2003) Screening for serious mental illness in the general population. Arch Gen Psych 60:184–189. , , , , , , , , , , . (
- 2004) Prevalence of epilepsy and health status of adults with epilepsy in Georgia and Tennessee: Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, 2002. Epilepsy Behav 5:358–366. , , , , , , . (
- 2006) Prevalence of self-reported epilepsy or seizure disorder and its associations with self-reported depression and anxiety: Results from the 2004 HealthStyles Survey. Epilepsia 47:1915–1921. , , . (
- 2000) Management of epilepsy: from diagnosis to intractability. In BakerGA, JacobyA (Eds) Quality of life in epilepsy. Harwood Academic Publishers, Liverpool , p. 13. , , . (
- 1999) Health-related quality of life, activity of daily living and depressive mood disorder in temporal lobe epilepsy patients. Seizure 8:88–92. , , , , , , , , , , . (
- 1999) Seizure frequency and the health-related quality of life of adults with epilepsy. Neurology 53:162–166. , , , , . (
- 1999) Evidence suggesting that a Chronic Disease Self-Management Program can improve health status while reducing hospitalization: a randomized trial. Med Care 37:5–14. , , , , , , , , . (
- 2001) Chronic disease self-management program: 2-year health status and health care utilization outcomes. Med Care 39:1217–1223. , , , , , , , , . (
- 2005) EpiTrack: tracking cognitive side effects of medication on attention and executive functions in patients with epilepsy. Epilepsy Behav 7:708–714. , . (
- 2003) The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Healthy Days measures-population tracking of perceived physical and mental health over time. Health Qual Life Outcomes 1:1–8. Available at http://www.hqlo.com/content/1/1/37;1:1-8. , , . (
- 2002) Stigma and epilepsy. Epilepsy Behav 3:S21–S25. . (
- 1999) Risk factors for sudden unexpected death in epilepsy: a case-control study. Lancet 353:888–893. , , , , . (
- 1999) Assessing the psychosocial consequences of epilepsy: a community-based study. Brit J Gen Pract 49:211–214. , , , , . (
- 2006) Translating the chronic care model into the community: results from a randomized controlled trial of a multifaceted diabetes care intervention. Diabetes Care 29:811–817. , , , , , , , , , . (
- 2000) Patients' perspectives on services for epilepsy: a survey of patient satisfaction, preferences and information provision in 2394 people with epilepsy. Seizure 9:551–558. , , , , , , , , , , . (
- 2005) A comparison of epilepsy patients in a traditional ambulatory clinic and a telemedicine clinic. Epilepsia 46:767–770. , . (
- 2005) Living well with a disability health promotion intervention: improved health status for consumers and lower costs for health care policymakers. Rehab Psych 50:239–245. , , . (
- 2006) Improving blood pressure control through provider education, provider alerts, and patient education: a cluster randomized trial. Ann Intern Med 145:165–175. , , , , , , , , , , . (
- 2000) Epilepsy: Quality of life and cost of care. Epilepsy Behav 1:120–127. . (
- 2007) The South Carolina Epidemiologic Studies of Epilepsy & Seizure Disorders. Final Report submitted to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Epilepsy Program. , , , , , , , , , . (
- 2003) Living with epilepsy: long-term prognosis and psychosocial outcomes. Neurology 61:64–70. , , , , . (
- 2004) Taking charge of epilepsy: the development of a structured psychoeducational group intervention for adolescents with epilepsy and their parents. Epilepsy Behav 5:547–556. , , , , . . (
- 2000) Health status of people with epilepsy compared with a general reference population. Epilepsia 41:85–90. , , . (
- 2005) Psychological distress, comorbidities, and health behaviors among U.S. adults with seizures: Results from the 2002 National Health Interview Survey. Epilepsia 46:1133–1139. , , , , , . (
- 2001) Social functioning, psychological functioning, and quality of life in epilepsy. Epilepsia 42:1160–1168. , , . (
- 2000) Principles and practice of public health surveillance. Oxford University Press, New York . , . (
- 1988) Doctors' orders and patients' self-interest: two views of medication usage? Epilepsy Res Suppl 1:57–69. . (
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. (2000) Healthy People 2010: With understanding and improving health and objectives for improving health. Washington , DC , U.S. Govt. Printing Office.
- UCLA Center for Health Policy Research. (2003) California Health Interview Survey. The CHIS 2001 Sample: Response Rate and Technical Representativeness. Technical Paper No. 1, December 2003.
- UCLA Center for Health Policy Research. (2006) California Health Interview Survey. Report 5: Weighting and Variance Estimation. CHIS 2003. August 2006.
- 1999) Burden of epilepsy: the Ontario Health Survey. Can J Neurol Sci 26:263–270. , , , . (
- 2004) Paradoxical results in the cure of chronic illness: the “burden of normality” as exemplified following seizure surgery. Epilepsy Behav 5:13–21. , , . (
- 1998) Primary-care delivery for sickle cell patients in rural Georgia using telemedicine. Telemed J 4:353–361. , , , , . (