During the conduct of this research Dr. Tian was with the Department of Biostatistics, Joseph L. Mailman School of Public Health and Dr. Leary was with the Department of Pediatrics and the Department of Neurology, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY.
Are MRI-detected brain abnormalities associated with febrile seizure type?
Version of Record online: 7 DEC 2007
© 2008 International League Against Epilepsy
Volume 49, Issue 5, pages 765–771, May 2008
How to Cite
Hesdorffer, D. C., Chan, S., Tian, H., Allen Hauser, W., Dayan, P., Leary, L. D. and Hinton, V. J. (2008), Are MRI-detected brain abnormalities associated with febrile seizure type?. Epilepsia, 49: 765–771. doi: 10.1111/j.1528-1167.2007.01459.x
- Issue online: 7 FEB 2008
- Version of Record online: 7 DEC 2007
- Accepted October 26, 2007; Online Early publication December 10, 2007.
- and the Brain Development Cooperative Group. (2007) The NIH MRI study of normal brain development (Objective—2): newborns, infants, toddlers, and preschoolers. Neuroimage 35:308–325. , ,
- 2005) Microanatomy of the dysplastic neocortex from epileptic patients. Brain 128:158–173. , , , , , , . (
- 1995) Value of brain CT scan in children with febrile convulsions. J Neurolog Sci 128:107–110. . (
- 1979) The risk of epilepsy following febrile convulsions. Neurology 29:297–303. , , , . (
- 1987) Factors prognostic of unprovoked seizures after febrile convulsions. N Engl J Med 316:493–498. , , , . (
- 1991) Three-dimensional fast low-angle shot imaging and computerized volume measurement of the hippocampus in patients with chronic epilepsy of the temporal lobe. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 12:941–947. , , , . (
- 1995) Risk factors for a first febrile seizure: a matched case–control study. Epilepsia 36:334–341. , , , , , . (
- 1998) Prospective magnetic resonance imaging identification of focal cortical dysplasia, including the non-balloon cell subtype. Ann Neurol 44:749–757. , , , , , . (
- 2004) Clinical features and long term outcome of epilepsy in periventricular nodular heterotopia. Simple compared with plus forms. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 75:873–878. , , , , , , , , , , . (
- 2004) Serial MRI after experimental febrile seizures: altered T2 signal without neuronal death. Ann Neurol 56:709–714. , , , . (
- 1996) Neuronal migration disorders increase susceptibility to hyperthermia-induced seizures in developing rats. Epilepsia 37:902–910. , , , . (
- 2001) Epilepsy and genetic malformations of the cerebral cortex. Am J Med Genet 106:160–173. , . (
- 2000) Age-dependent consequences of seizures: relationship to seizure frequency, brain damage, and circuitry reorganization. MRDD Res Re 6:242–252. , , , . (
- 1993) Effect of temperature on kainic acid-induced seizures. Brain Res 631:51–58. , , , . (
- 1995) Influence of the type of initial precipitating injury and at what age it occurs on course and outcome in patients with temporal lobe seizures. J Neurosurg 82:220–227. , , . (
- National Institutes of Health. (1980) Febrile seizures: long-term management of children with fever-associated seizures. Br Med J 281:277–279.
- 1978) Prognosis in children with febrile seizures. Pediatrics 61:720–727. , . (
- Personal communication on 6/22/2006 with the publications committee for the Brain Development Cooperative Group.
- 2003) Hippocampal abnormalities after prolonged febrile convulsion: a longitudinal MRI study. Brain 2251–2557. , , , , . (
- 1992) Induction of epileptiform activity by temperature elevation in hippocampal slices from young rats: an in vitro model for febrile seizures? Epilepsia 33:228–234. , , , , . (
- 1993) Complex partial seizures and mesial temporal sclerosis: evaluation with fast spin-echo MR imaging. Radiology 189:835–842. , , , , , , , . (
- 1969) Studies on convulsive disorders in young children. I. Incidence of febrile and nonfebrile convulsions by age and other factors. Pediatr Res 3:298–304. , . (
- 1998) Magnetic resonance imaging evidence of hippocampal injury after prolonged focal febrile convulsions. Ann Neurol 43:413–426. , , , . (
- 1985) Febrile convulsions in a national cohort followed up from birth. I—Prevalence and recurrence in the first five years of life. Br Med J 290:1307–1310. , , . (