Approved by the Quality Standards Subcommittee on November 5, 2008; by the Therapeutics and Technology Assessment Subcommittee on November 15, 2008; by the Practice Committee on December 18, 2008; and by the AAN Board of Directors on March 25, 2009.
Management issues for women with epilepsy—Focus on pregnancy (an evidence-based review): I. Obstetrical complications and change in seizure frequency
Report of the Quality Standards Subcommittee and Therapeutics and Technology Assessment Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology and the American Epilepsy Society
Article first published online: 27 APR 2009
Wiley Periodicals, Inc. © 2009 International League Against Epilepsy
Volume 50, Issue 5, pages 1229–1236, May 2009
How to Cite
Harden, C. L., Hopp, J., Ting, T. Y., Pennell, P. B., French, J. A., Allen Hauser, W., Wiebe, S., Gronseth, G. S., Thurman, D., Meador, K. J., Koppel, B. S., Kaplan, P. W., Robinson, J. N., Gidal, B., Hovinga, C. A., Wilner, A. N., Vazquez, B., Holmes, L., Krumholz, A., Finnell, R. and Le Guen, C. (2009), Management issues for women with epilepsy—Focus on pregnancy (an evidence-based review): I. Obstetrical complications and change in seizure frequency. Epilepsia, 50: 1229–1236. doi: 10.1111/j.1528-1167.2009.02128.x
This article is being published jointly/simultaneously by ILAE in Epilepsia and AAN in Neurology.
- Issue published online: 7 MAY 2009
- Article first published online: 27 APR 2009
- Accepted February 24, 2009; Early View publication April 27, 2009.
- American Academy of Neurology. (1998) Report of the Quality Standards Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology. Practice Parameter: management issues for women with epilepsy (summary statement). Neurology 51:944–948.
- 1987) Incidence of seizures during pregnancy, labor and puerperium in epileptic women: a prospective study. Acta Neurol Scand 75:356–360. . (
- EURAP Study Group. (2006) Seizure control and treatment in pregnancy. Neurology. 66:354–360.
- 1988) The course of epilepsy during pregnancy: a study of 78 cases. Acta Neurol Scand 78:198–205. , , . (
- 1985) Obstetric outcome in women with epilepsy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 152:499–504. , , . (
- 2007) How common are the “common” neurologic disorders? Neurology 68:326–337. , , , , , . (
- 2000) Epilepsy and pregnancy: effect of antiepileptic drugs and lifestyle on birth weight. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 107:896–902. , , , . (
- 1969) Die Epilepsien. Spezielle pathologie und therapie. Georg Thieme Verlag, Stuttgart. . (
- 2001) Pregnancy in women with epilepsy. Gynecol Obstet Invest 51:99–102. , , . (
- 1993) Pregnancy, epilepsy, management and outcome: a 10-year perspective. Seizure 2:277–280. , . (
- 1998) Pregnancies of women with epilepsy: a population-based study in Iceland. Epilepsia 39:887–892. , , , , . (
- 1985) Risk factors for the increased seizure frequency during pregnancy and puerperium. Folia Psychiatr Neurol Jpn 39:33–41. . (
- 2004) Epilepsy and pregnancy: an obstetric perspective. Am J Obstet Gynecol 190:371–379. , , , . (
- 1996) Pregnancy with epilepsy – a retrospective analysis. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 54:17–22. , , , , , . (
- 1992) Epilepsy, pregnancy, and major birth anomalies: an Italian prospective, controlled study. Neurology 42 (4 Suppl 5):89–93. , . (
- 1994) Epilepsy and pregnancy: a prospective study of seizure control in relation to free and total plasma concentrations of carbamazepine and phenytoin. Epilepsia 35:122–130. , , , . (
- United States Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics, Bridged-Race Population Estimates, United States. (2007) July 1st resident population by state, county, age, sex, bridged-race, and Hispanic origin on CDC WONDER On-line Database. http://wonder.cdc.gov .
- 2008) Seizure control in antiepileptic drug-treated pregnancy. Epilepsia 49:172–175. , , , , , . (
- 2006) Community-based, prospective, controlled study of obstetric and neonatal outcomes of 179 pregnancies in women with epilepsy. Epilepsia 47:186–192. , , , . (
- 1990) Epilepsy and pregnancy – a review of 98 pregnancies. Aust NZ J Obstet Gynaecol 30:290–295. , , . (
- 2000) Quality of life, epilepsy advances, and the evolving role of anticonvulsants in women with epilepsy. Neurology 55:S21–S31. . (
- 1985) Beta blockade during and after myocardial infarction: an overview of the randomized trials. Prog Cardiovasc Dis 27:335–371. , , , , . (