Economic impact of epilepsy in the United States
Version of Record online: 8 JUN 2009
Wiley Periodicals, Inc. © 2009 International League Against Epilepsy
Volume 50, Issue 10, pages 2186–2191, October 2009
How to Cite
Yoon, D., Frick, K. D., Carr, D. A. and Austin, J. K. (2009), Economic impact of epilepsy in the United States. Epilepsia, 50: 2186–2191. doi: 10.1111/j.1528-1167.2009.02159.x
- Issue online: 22 SEP 2009
- Version of Record online: 8 JUN 2009
- Accepted March 24, 2009; Early View Publication June 8, 2009.
- 1999) Cost of epilepsy: contrast of methodologies in United States and European studies. Epilepsia, 40(suppl 8):14–18. , , . (
- 2008) Trends in the use of vagus nerve stimulation for epilepsy: analysis of a nationwide database. Neurosurg Focus 25:E10. , , , . (
- 1994) Cost of epilepsy in the United States: a model based on incidence and prognosis. Epilepsia, 35:1230–1243. , , , , . (
- 1999) Estimating the cost of epilepsy. Epilepsia 40(suppl 8):8–13. , , , . (
- 2000) The cost of epilepsy in the United States: an estimate from population-based clinical and survey data. Epilepsia 41:342–351. , , , , , , , , , , . (
- 2002) The economic cost of epilepsy: a review of the literature. Epilepsia, 43:3–9. , . (
- 1999a) The burden of epilepsy for the patient: the intangible costs. Epilepsia 40(suppl 8):40–43. . (
- 1999b) Economic analysis of epilepsy care. Epilepsia 40(suppl 8):19–24. . (
- 2007) Generic products of antiepileptic drugs (AEDs): is it an issue? Epilepsia 48:1825–1832. . (
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, United States Department of Labor (2007) Consumer price indexes. Accessed July 30, 2007, from http://www.bls.gov/cpi/home.htm#data.
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (2008) National health expenditure data, historical. Accessed September 3, 2008, from http://www.cms.hhs.gov/NationalHealthExpendData/02_NationalHealthAccountsHistorical.asp.
- 2002) The Medical Expenditure Panel Survey: an overview. Eff Clin Pract 5:E1. . (
- Department of Health & Human Services, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (2007) Medical expenditure panel survey. Accessed October 27, 2007, from http://www.meps.ahrq.gov/mepsweb.
- Employment Standards Administration Wage and Hour Division, United States Department of Labor (2007) History of federal minimum wage rates under the Fair Labor Standards Act, 1938–2007. Retrieved from http://www.dol.gov/esa/minwage/chart.htm on October 5, 2007.
- 2000) The impact of epilepsy from the patient’s perspective II: views about therapy and health care. Epilepsy Res 41:53–61. , , , , , , . (
- 2007) Economic impact of visual impairment and blindness in the United States. Arch Ophthalmol 125:544–550. , , , . (
- 1999) Payer costs of patients diagnosed with epilepsy. Epilepsia 40:351–358. , , , , , . (
- 2004) Variation in cost of informal caregiving and formal-service use for people with Alzheimer’s disease. Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen 19:299–308. , , , , , , . (
- 2001) Comparing the cost of epilepsy across eight European countries. Epilepsy Res 43:89–95. , , . (
- 2002) Economics in epilepsy treatment choices: our certain fate? Epilepsia 43(suppl 4):32–38. , , . (
- 2007) How common are the “common” neurologic disorders? Neurology 68:326–337. , , , , , . (
- 2005) Developing a computer algorithm to identify epilepsy cases in managed care organizations. Dis Manag 8(1): 1–14. , , , , , , , , (
- 2001) Estimating the costs of epilepsy: an international comparison of epilepsy cost studies. Epilepsia 42:634–640. , , , . (
- 1998) Much ado about two: reconsidering retransformation and the two-part model in health econometrics. J Health Econ 17:247–281. . (
- 2004) Economic evaluation of epilepsy in Kiremba (Burundi): a case-control study. Epilepsia 45:673–677. , , , , . (
- 1999) The relevance of health economics to epilepsy care. Epilepsia 40(suppl 8):37. . (
- 2007) Development of new antiepileptic drugs: challenges, incentives, and recent advances. Lancet Neurol 6:793–804. , , . (
- 2006) Epilepsy in North America: a report prepared under the auspices of the global campaign against epilepsy, the International Bureau for Epilepsy, the International League Against Epilepsy, and the World Health Organization. Epilepsia 47:1700–1722. , , , , , , , . (
- 2001) Economic burden of epilepsy in India. Epilepsia 42:1052–1060. , , , , , , . (
- 2007) Health care spending growth: how different is the United States from the rest of the OECD? Health Aff (Millwood) 26:154–161. . (