How accurate is ICD coding for epilepsy?
Article first published online: 20 JUL 2009
Wiley Periodicals, Inc. © 2009 International League Against Epilepsy
Volume 51, Issue 1, pages 62–69, January 2010
How to Cite
Jetté, N., Reid, A. Y., Quan, H., Hill, M. D. and Wiebe, S. (2010), How accurate is ICD coding for epilepsy?. Epilepsia, 51: 62–69. doi: 10.1111/j.1528-1167.2009.02201.x
- Issue published online: 21 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 20 JUL 2009
- Accepted May 14, 2009; Early View publication July 20, 2009.
- CDC. (2005) Prevalence of epilepsy and health-related quality of life and disability among adults with epilepsy–South Carolina, 2003 and 2004. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 54:1080–1082.
- CIHI (2008) ICD-10-CA. Canadian Institute for Health Information, Ottawa.
- 1994) Analysis of automated administrative and survey databases to study patterns and outcomes of care. Spine 19:2083S–2091S. , , , , , , . (
- 2005a) Developing a computer algorithm to identify epilepsy cases in managed care organizations. Dis Manag 8:1–14. , , , , , , , , . (
- 2005b) Estimating prevalence, incidence, and disease-related mortality for patients with epilepsy in managed care organizations. Epilepsia 46:311–319. , , , , , , , . (
- 1997) Assessing quality using administrative data. Ann Intern Med 127:666–674. . (
- 2008) Health resource use in epilepsy: significant disparities by age, gender, and aboriginal status. Epilepsia 49:586–593. , , , , , , . (
- 2005) Coding of stroke and stroke risk factors using international classification of diseases, revisions 9 and 10. Stroke 36:1776–1781. , (
- 1991) Surveillance of major causes of hospitalization among the elderly, 1988. MMWR CDC Surveill Summ 40:7–21. , , , . (
- 1994) Using Medicare claims for outcomes research. Med Care 32:JS38–JS51. , , , , , , , , , . (
- 1994) The global burden of disease in 1990: summary results, sensitivity analysis and future directions. Bull World Health Organ 72:495–509. , , . (
- 2005) Incidence of unprovoked seizures and epilepsy in Iceland and assessment of the epilepsy syndrome classification: a prospective study. Lancet Neurol 4:627–634. , , , , , . (
- 2004) National and regional prevalence of self-reported epilepsy in Canada. Epilepsia 45:1623–1629. , , , . (
- 2005) Somatic comorbidity of epilepsy in the general population in Canada. Epilepsia 46:1955–1962. , , . (
- 1993) Validity of rheumatoid arthritis diagnoses listed in the Saskatchewan Hospital Separations Database. J Clin Epidemiol 46:675–683. , , , . (
- 2001) Administrative data for public health surveillance and planning. Annu Rev Public Health 22:213–230. , . (
- 1973) Small area variations in health care delivery. Science 182:1102–1108. , . (
- 1991) Accuracy of Medicare claims data for estimation of cancer incidence and resection rates among elderly Americans. Med Care 29:1226–1236. , , , . (
- WHO (2008) ICD Implementation by Countries World Health Organization.
- 1999) Burden of epilepsy: the Ontario Health Survey. Can J Neurol Sci 26:263–270. , , , . (
- 2003) Regional comparisons of inpatient and outpatient patterns of cerebrovascular disease diagnosis in the province of Alberta. Chronic Dis Can 24:9–16. , , , , , , . (