The metabolic syndrome in overweight epileptic patients treated with valproic acid
Article first published online: 20 JUL 2009
Wiley Periodicals, Inc. © 2009 International League Against Epilepsy
Volume 51, Issue 2, pages 268–273, February 2010
How to Cite
Verrotti, A., Manco, R., Agostinelli, S., Coppola, G. and Chiarelli, F. (2010), The metabolic syndrome in overweight epileptic patients treated with valproic acid. Epilepsia, 51: 268–273. doi: 10.1111/j.1528-1167.2009.02206.x
- Issue published online: 29 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 20 JUL 2009
- Accepted May 14, 2009; Early View publication July 20, 2009.
- Valproic acid;
- Metabolic syndrome
Purpose: To evaluate the presence of metabolic syndrome (MS) in children and adolescents treated with valproate (VPA).
Methods: One hundred fourteen patients (54 male and 60 female) were studied. These patients were followed from the beginning of therapy for at least 24 months; at the end of follow-up, 46 patients (40.4%) had a considerable increase in body weight, whereas the other patients (59.6%) remained with the same weight. The MS was defined as having at least three of the following: abdominal obesity, dyslipidemia, glucose intolerance, and hypertension.
Results: Forty-six patients developed obesity; 20 (43.5%) of 46 patients developed MS. Abnormal glucose homeostasis was identified in 45% of patients. High total serum cholesterol concentrations were noted in 10 (50%), high serum triglyceride concentrations in 7 (35%), and low high-density lipoprotein (HDL) in 15 (75%) of the 20 subjects with MS. However, there were no significant differences in the features of MS between boys and girls with MS.
Conclusions: Patients who gain weight during VPA therapy can develop MS with a possible risk of cardiovascular disease.