FULL-LENGTH ORIGINAL RESEARCH
Geographic variation of epilepsy for older Americans: How close to the geographic variation of stroke?
Version of Record online: 7 SEP 2012
Wiley Periodicals, Inc. © 2012 International League Against Epilepsy
Volume 53, Issue 12, pages 2186–2193, December 2012
How to Cite
Pisu, M., Kratt, P., Faught, E., Martin, R. C., Kim, Y., Clements, K., Knowlton, R., Funkhouser, E. and Richman, J. S. (2012), Geographic variation of epilepsy for older Americans: How close to the geographic variation of stroke?. Epilepsia, 53: 2186–2193. doi: 10.1111/j.1528-1167.2012.03640.x
- Issue online: 3 DEC 2012
- Version of Record online: 7 SEP 2012
- Accepted July 2, 2012; Early View publication September 7, 2012.
- 1995) Incidence of acute symptomatic seizures in Rochester, Minnesota, 1935–1984. Epilepsia36:327–333. , , , . (
- 2011) Geographic distribution of diagnosed diabetes in the U.S.: a diabetes belt. Am J Prev Med40:434–439. , , , , . (
- 2000) Seizures after stroke: a prospective multicenter study. Arch Neurol57:1617–1622. , , , , , , , , . (
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (1999) Decline in deaths from heart disease and stroke—United States, 1900–1999. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep48:649–656.
- 2010) Are psychiatric disorders independent risk factors for new-onset epilepsy in older individuals?Epilepsy Behav17:70–74. , , , , . (
- 1999) Epidemiology and drug treatment of epilepsy in elderly people. Drugs Aging15:255–269. . (
- 2012) Incidence and prevalence of epilepsy among older U.S. Medicare beneficiaries. Neurology78:448–453. , , , , , , , , , , , . (
- 1996) Relation between residence in the southeast region of the United States and stroke incidence. Am J Epidemiol144:665–673. , . (
- 1993) Incidence of epilepsy and unprovoked seizures in Rochester, Minnesota: 1935–1984. Epilepsia34:453–468. , , . (
- 1996) Descriptive epidemiology of epilepsy: contributions of population-based studies from Rochester, Minnesota. Mayo Clin Proc71:576–586. , , . (
- 2004) State-specific projections through 2025 of Alzheimer disease prevalence. Neurology62:1645. , , , , . (
- 2005a) Developing a computer algorithm to identify epilepsy cases in managed care organizations. Dis Manag8:1–14. , , , , , , , , . (
- 2005b) Estimating prevalence, incidence, and disease-related mortality for patients with epilepsy in managed care organizations. Epilepsia46:311–319. , , , , , , , . (
- 2011) Disparities in stroke incidence contributing to disparities in stroke mortality. Ann Neurol69:619–627. , , , , , , , , , , . (
- 2006) Incidence of epilepsy in a racially diverse, community-dwelling, elderly cohort: results from the Einstein aging study. Epilepsy Res71:195–205. , , , , , . (
- 1992) Epilepsy and the quality of everday life: findings from a study of people with well-controlled epilepsy. Soc Sci Med1992:657–666. . (
- 1993) Geographic distribution of stroke mortality in the United States: 1939–1941 to 1979–1981. Neurology43:1839–1851. . (
- 1995) The geography of stroke mortality in the United States and the concept of a stroke belt. Stroke26:1145–1149. , . (
- 2010) Epilepsy in the elderly. Ann N Y Acad Sci1184:208–224. , . (
- 2009) Factors explaining excess stroke prevalence in the US stroke belt. Stroke40:3336–3341. , , , , . (
- 2005) What are the concerns of older adults living with epilepsy?Epilepsy Behav7:297–300. , , , . (
- National Heart Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI). (1996) National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Stroke Belt Initiative [Online]. Available at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/prof/heart/other/sb_spec.pdf [Accessed 29 September 2011].
- 2010) Presence of medical schools may contribute to reducing breast cancer mortality and disparities. J Health Care Poor Underserved21:961–976. , , , , . (
- 2012) Diagnostic tests and neurology care for Medicare beneficiaries with seizures: differences across racial groups. Med Care50:730–736. , , , , , , , , . (
- 2009) New-onset epilepsy risk factors in older veterans. J Am Geriatr Soc57:237–242. , , , , , . (
- 2005) Coding algorithms for defining comorbidities in ICD-9-CM and ICD-10 administrative data. Med Care43:1130–1139. , , , , , , , , , . (
- 2005) New onset geriatric epilepsy: a randomized study of gabapentin, lamotrigine, and carbamazepine. Neurology64:1868–1873. , , , , , , , , , , , , . (
- 2002) Poststroke seizures. Arch Neurol59:195–201. , , . (
- 2005) Diagnosing epilepsy in older adults: what does it mean for the primary care physician?Geriatrics60:30–35. , . (
- The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. Total Medicare Advantage (MA) Enrollment 2005 [Online]. Available at: http://www.statehealthfacts.org/comparemapdetail.jsp?yr=16&typ=7&ind=327&cat=6&sub=79 [Accessed 29 September 2011].
- 2003) Epilepsy: comorbidity in the elderly. Acta Neurol Scand Suppl180:33–36. . (
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services & Health Resources And Services Administration. Area Resource File (ARF) [Online]. Available at: http://arf.hrsa.gov [Accessed September 29 2011].
- 2010) National variation in United States sepsis mortality: a descriptive study. Int J Health Geogr9:9. , , , , . (