Author for correspondence: e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
PHYSIOLOGICAL RESPONSES OF ECKLONIA RADIATA (LAMINARIALES) TO A LATITUDINAL GRADIENT IN OCEAN TEMPERATURE1
Article first published online: 12 FEB 2009
© 2009 Phycological Society of America
Journal of Phycology
Volume 45, Issue 1, pages 91–99, February 2009
How to Cite
Staehr, P. A. and Wernberg, T. (2009), PHYSIOLOGICAL RESPONSES OF ECKLONIA RADIATA (LAMINARIALES) TO A LATITUDINAL GRADIENT IN OCEAN TEMPERATURE. Journal of Phycology, 45: 91–99. doi: 10.1111/j.1529-8817.2008.00635.x
Received 18 January 2008. Accepted 21 August 2008.
- Issue published online: 12 FEB 2009
- Article first published online: 12 FEB 2009
- 2007. Loss, status and trends for coastal marine habitats of Europe. Oceanogr. Mar. Biol. Annu. Rev. 35:345–405. &
- 2006. Community photosynthesis of aquatic macrophytes. Limnol. Oceanogr. 51:2722–33. , &
- 1994. Ecklonia. In Akatsuka, I. [Ed.] Biology of Economic Algae. SPB Academic Publishing, The Hague, pp. 385–406. &
- 1982. Optimal growth and maximal survival temperatures of Atlantic Laminaria species (Phaeophyta) in culture. Mar. Biol. 66:89–94. &
- 1999. Seasonal patterns in the photosynthetic capacity, tissue pigment and nutrient content of different developmental stages of Undaria pinnatifida (Phaeophyta: Laminariales) in Port Phillip Bay, southeastern Australia. Bot. Mar. 42:231–41. , &
- 1991. Environmental effects on algal photosynthesis, temperature. J. Phycol. 27:2–8.
- 1991. Temperature acclimation of respiration and photosynthesis in the brown alga Laminaria saccharina. Mar. Biol. 110:449–54. , &
- 1999. Temporal and spatial scales of kelp demography: the role of oceanographic climate. Ecol. Monogr. 69:219–50. , , &
- 2008. Acclimatization in coral reefs. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 361:307–10. &
- 1989. Seasonal acclimation to temperature and light in Laminaria longicruris de la Pyl. (Phaeophyta). J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 129:1–16. , &
- 2004a. Seasonal and depth related variation in the photosynthesis–irradiance response of Ecklonia radiata (Phaeophyta, Laminariales) at West Island, South Australia. Mar. Biol. 145:415–26. &
- 2004b. Rates of primary productivity and growth in Ecklonia radiata measured at different depths, over an annual cycle, at West Island, South Australia. Mar. Biol. 145:41–50. &
- 1991. Acclimation to spectral irradiance in algae. J. Phycol. 27:8–14. &
- 1997. Aquatic Photosynthesis. Blackwell, Oxford, UK, 375 pp. &
- 2006. Differences in kelp morphology between wave sheltered and exposed localities: morphologically plastic or fixed traits? Mar. Biol. 148:755–67. , &
- 2004. Variations in the configuration of algae in subtidal forests: implications for invertebrate assemblages. Austral Ecol. 29:350–7. , , &
- 2007. Relationship between benthic insects (Ephemeroptera, Plecoptera, Coleoptera, Trichoptera) and temperature in small and medium-sized streams in Germany: a multivariate study. Aquat. Ecol. DOI: DOI: 10.1007/s10452-007-9097-z. &
- 1987. Growth of the kelp Ecklonia radiata near the northern limit of its range in Western Australia. Mar. Biol. 95:63–73. , &
- 1982. Phytogeographic distribution of groups of benthic marine algae in the North Atlantic Ocean. A review of experimental evidence from life history studies. Helgol. Meeresunters. 35:153–214.
- IPCC. 2007. Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis - Summary for Policy Makers. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, WMO/UNEP, Paris, 21 pp.
- 1975. New spectrophotometric equations for determining chlorophylls a, b, c1 and c2 in higher plants, algae and natural phytoplankton. Biochem. Physiol. Pflanzen. 167:191–4. &
- 1982. Determination of phosphate in seawater by flow injection analysis with injection of reagent. Anal. Chem. 54:1185–7.
- 1983. Determination of nitrate and nitrite in seawater by flow injection analysis with injection of reagent. Limnol. Oceanogr. 28:1260–6.
- 1974. The Theory of Rate Processes in Biology and Medicine. Wiley-Interscience, New York, pp. 175–272. , &
- 1989. The seasons in the subtidal. Br. Phycol. J. 24:203–15.
- 1984. Standing stock and production of Ecklonia radiata (C. Ag.) J. Agardh. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 76:119–30.
- 1986. A study of growth and primary production in Ecklonia radiata Laminariales at a sheltered site in Port Jackson New South Wales, Australia. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 96:177–90.
- 2000. Subtidal understorey algal community structure in kelp beds around the Cape Peninsula (Western Cape, South Africa). Bot. Mar. 43:359–66. , , &
- 2006. A mixed-layer nutrient climatology of Leeuwin Current and Western Australian shelf waters: seasonal nutrient dynamics and biomass. J. Mar. Syst. 59:25–51. , &
- 1984. Temperature tolerance and biogeography of seaweeds: the marine algal flora of Helgoland (North Sea) as an example. Helgol. Meeresunters. 38:305–17.
- 1988. Comparative studies on critical light conditions for young Eisenia bicyclis and Ecklonia cava. Jpn. J. Phycol. 36:166–74. , , &
- 1987. Critical light conditions for young Ecklonia cava and Eisenia bicyclis with reference to photosynthesis. Hydrobiologia 151/152:447–55. , &
- 2007. Effects of ocean temperature on the southern range limits of two understory kelps, Pterygophora californica and Eisenia arborea, at multiple life-stages. Mar. Biol. 151:1941–9. &
- 1984. Influence of sea temperature, substratum and wave exposure on rocky intertidal communities: an analysis of faunal and floral biomass. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 19:145–51. &
- 1984. Response of gametophytes of Ecklonia radiata (Laminariales) to temperature in saturating light. Mar. Biol. 82:241–5.
- 1991. Eastern boundary currents of the Southern Hemisphere. J. R. Soc. West. Aust. 74:35–45.
- 1980. Membrane properties in relation to the adaptation of plants to temperature stress. In Turner, N. C. & Kramer, P. J. [Eds.] Adaptation of Plants to Water and Temperature Stress. John Wiley and Sons, New York, pp. 261–73. , , &
- 1988. Temperature and algal growth. New Phytol. 110:441–61. &
- 1989. Seasonal changes of photosynthetic activity of a brown alga Ecklonia cava Kjellman. Bot. Mag. Tokyo 102:37–51. , &
- SAS Institute Inc. 1994. SAS/STAT Users Guide, Vol. 2, Version 6, 4th ed. SAS Institute, Cary, North Carolina.
- 2004. Ten years of induced ocean warming causes comprehensive changes in marine benthic communities. Ecology 85:1833–9. , &
- 2006. Temperature acclimation of two mesophilic microalgae. Phycologia 45:648–56. &
- 1968. A Practical Handbook of Seawater Analysis. Fisheries Research Board of Canada, No. 167. Ottawa, Canada, 311 pp. &
- 1993. Determination of Ammonia by Flow Injection Analysis Colorimetry (Dialysis). Latchet Instruments, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- 2003. Phytoplankton responses to wastewater discharges at two sites in Western Australia. Mar. Freshw. Res. 54:721–35. &
- 1997. Human alteration of the global nitrogen cycle: source and consequences. Ecol. Appl. 7:737–50. , , , , , , &
- 2003. Ecological characterization of bat species distributions in Michoacan, Mexico, using a geographic information system. Glob. Ecol. Biogeogr. 12:65–85. , , &
- 1974. Carbon dioxide exchange of Alnus rubra: a mathematical model. Oecologia 17:281–91. , &
- 2003b. Morphology of Ecklonia radiata (Phaeophyta: Laminariales) along its geographic distribution in south-western Australia and Australasia. Mar. Biol. 143:47–55. , , , &
- 2003a. Regional differences in kelp-associated algal assemblages on temperate limestone reefs in south-western Australia. Divers. Distrib. 9:427–41. , &
- 2007. Topographic shading and wave exposure influence morphology and ecophysiology of Ecklonia radiata (C. Agardh 1817) in Fiordland, New Zealand. Limnol. Oceanogr. 52:1853–64. , , , , &