Author for correspondence: e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
EFFECTS OF MODERATE HEAT STRESS AND DISSOLVED INORGANIC CARBON CONCENTRATION ON PHOTOSYNTHESIS AND RESPIRATION OF SYMBIODINIUM SP. (DINOPHYCEAE) IN CULTURE AND IN SYMBIOSIS1
Article first published online: 26 MAR 2009
© 2009 Phycological Society of America
Journal of Phycology
Volume 45, Issue 2, pages 357–365, April 2009
How to Cite
Buxton, L., Badger, M. and Ralph, P. (2009), EFFECTS OF MODERATE HEAT STRESS AND DISSOLVED INORGANIC CARBON CONCENTRATION ON PHOTOSYNTHESIS AND RESPIRATION OF SYMBIODINIUM SP. (DINOPHYCEAE) IN CULTURE AND IN SYMBIOSIS. Journal of Phycology, 45: 357–365. doi: 10.1111/j.1529-8817.2009.00659.x
Received 11 December 2007. Accepted 13 October 2008.
- Issue published online: 6 APR 2009
- Article first published online: 26 MAR 2009
- 1996. Inorganic carbon uptake for photosynthesis by the symbiotic coral-dinoflagellate association. 2. Mechanisms for bicarbonate uptake. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 199:227–48. , , , &
- 1982. Photosynthesis and inorganic carbon usage by the marine cyanobacterium, Synechococcus sp. Plant Physiol. 70:517–23. &
- 1985. A Model for HCO3− accumulation and photosynthesis in the cyanobacterium Synechococcus sp: theoretical predictions and experimental observations. Plant Physiol. 77:465–71. , &
- 2000. Electron flow to oxygen in higher plants and algae: rates and control of direct photoreduction (Mehler reaction) and rubisco oxygenase. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. B Biol. Sci. 355:1433–46. , , &
- 2000. Conspecificity and Indo-Pacific distribution of Symbiodinium genotypes (Dinophyceae) from giant clams. J. Phycol. 36:1153–61. , &
- 1997. The acquisition of inorganic carbon by the seagrass Zostera marina. Aquat. Bot. 56:277–83. &
- 1997. Coral bleaching: causes and consequences. Coral Reefs 16:S129–38.
- 1983. Effects of carbon dioxide concentration on coral photosynthesis. Mar. Biol. 75:113–6. , &
- 2003. Anthropogenic carbon and ocean pH. Nature 425:365. &
- 1999. Phylogenetic position of Symbiodinium (Dinophyceae) isolates from tridacnides (Bivalvia), cardiids (Bivalvia), a sponge (Porifera), a soft coral (Anthozoa), and a free-living strain. J. Phycol. 35:1054–62. , , &
- 1997. The value of the world’s ecosystem services and natural capital. Nature 387:253–60. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Effect of heat stress on the inhibition and recovery of the ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase activation state. Planta 212:67–74. &
- 2002. Oxidative stress and seasonal coral bleaching. Free Radic. Biol. Med. 33:533–43. , , , , &
- 1998. Review; ultraviolet radiation-absorbing mycosporine-like amino acids in coral reef organisms: a biochemical and environmental perspective. J. Phycol. 34:418–30. &
- 2001. Effects of severe CO2 starvation on the photosynthetic electron transport chain in tobacco plants. Photosynth. Res. 68:203–13. , &
- 2006. Mechanisms and functions of photosystem I-related alternative electron transport pathways in chloroplasts. Russ. J. Plant Physiol. 53:571–82. &
- 1987. The effect of pH, O2, and temperature on the CO2 compensation point of isolated Asparagus mesophyll cells. Plant Physiol. 83:113–7. &
- 2004. Impact of anthropogenic CO2 on the CaCO3 system in the oceans. Science 305:362–6. , , , , , &
- 2001. A comparison of the photosynthetic electron transport rates in macroalgae measured by pulse amplitude modulated chlorophyll fluorometry and mass spectrometry. J. Phycol. 37:756–67. &
- 1999. The influence of an anthozoan “host factor” on the physiology of a symbiotic dinoflagellate. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 232:241–59. , &
- 1999. Photosynthesis and calcification at cellular, organismal and community levels in coral reefs: a review on interactions and control by carbonate chemistry. Am. Zool. 39:160–83. , &
- 1996. Coral reefs and carbon dioxide. Science 271:1298. , , , &
- 1989. The relationship between quantum yield of photosynthetic electron transport and quenching of chlorophyll fluorescence. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 990:87–92. , &
- 1996. Inorganic carbon uptake for photosynthesis by the symbiotic coral/dinoflagellate association. 1. Photosynthetic performances of symbionts and dependence on sea water bicarbonate. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 199:207–25. , , &
- 2005. Effect of short-term exposure to elevated temperatures and light levels on photosynthesis of different host-symbiont combinations in the Aiptasia pallidal Symbiodinium symbiosis. Limnol. Oceanogr. 50:1490–8. , &
- 1962. Studies of marine planktonic diatoms Cyclotella nana Hustedt and Detonula confervacea (Cleve) Gran. Can. J. Microbiol. 8:229–39. &
- 2008. Bicarbonate stimulation of calcification and photosynthesis in two hermatypic corals 1. J. Phycol. 44:91–8. , &
- 2008. Coral bleaching: photosynthetic impacts on symbiotic dinoflagellates. Ph.D. dissertation, University of Technology, Sydney, 350 pp.
- 2005. Impact of bleaching conditions on the components of non-photochemical quenching in the zooxanthellae of a coral. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 322:83–92. , &
- 1999. Climate change, coral bleaching and the future of the world’s coral reefs. Mar. Freshw. Res. 50:839–66.
- 1992. Photosynthetic response to elevated temperature in the symbiotic dinoflagellate Symbiodinium microadriaticum in culture. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 89:10302–5. , , &
- IPCC. 2001. The Third Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 184 pp.
- 1975. New spectrophotometric equations for determining chlorophylls a, b, c1 and c2 in higher plants, algae and natural phytoplankton. Biochem. Physiol. Pflanzen. 167:191–4. &
- 1990. Response of Hawaiian and other Indo-Pacific reef corals to elevated temperature. Coral Reefs 8:155–62. &
- 1998. Temperature-induced bleaching of corals begins with impairment of the CO2 fixation metabolism in zooxanthellae. Plant Cell Environ. 21:1219–30. , , &
- 2006. Impacts of Ocean Acidification on Coral Reefs and Other Marine Calcifiers: A Guide for Future Research. Report of a workshop held 18–20 April 2005, sponsored by NSF, NOAA, and the USGS, St. Petersburg, Florida, 88 pp. , , , , &
- 1997. Oxidative stress causes coral bleaching during exposure to elevated temperatures. Coral Reefs 16:187–92.
- 1994. Effects of morphology and water motion on carbon delivery and productivity in the reef coral, Pocillopora damicornis (Linnaeus): diffusion barriers, inorganic carbon limitation, and biochemical plasticity. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 178:153–79. , , &
- 2007. Molecular identification of symbiotic dinoflagellates in Pacific corals in the genus Pocillopora. Coral Reefs 26:551–8. , &
- 1993. Adaptation of solitary corals and their zooxanthellae to low light and UV radiation. Mar. Biol. 117:685–91. , , &
- 2001. Photosynthesis might be limited by light, not inorganic carbon availability, in three intertidal Gelidiales species. New Phytol. 149:431–9. , &
- 2003. Use of light and inorganic carbon acquisition by two morphotypes of Zostera noltii Hornem. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 297:71–84. , , &
- 2007. Effects of anthropogenic seawater acidification on acid–base balance in the sea urchin Psammechinus miliaris. Mar. Pollut. Bull. 54:89–96. , , &
- 1997. Interactions between corals and their symbiotic algae. In Birkeland, C. [Ed.] Life and Death of Coral Reefs. Chapman and Hall, New York, pp. 96–113. &
- 1990. The role of symbiotic algae in carbon and energy flux in reef corals. In Dubinsky, Z. [Ed.] Ecosystems of the World. Elsevier, New York, pp. 75–88.
- 1989. Resource partitioning by reef corals as determined from stable isotope composition. Mar. Biol. 100:185–93. , &
- 2005. Anthropogenic ocean acidification over the twenty-first century and its impact on calcifying organisms. Nature 437:681–6. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Rapid light curves: a powerful tool to assess photosynthetic activity. Aquat. Bot. 82:222–37. &
- 2005. Temporal patterns in effective quantum yield of individual zooxanthellae expelled during bleaching. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 316:17–28. , &
- 1993. Limits on growth rates. Nature 361:209–10.
- 2005. Ocean Acidification Due to Increasing Carbon Dioxide. The Royal Society, London, 68 pp. , , , , , , , &
- 2003. Interacting effects of CO2 partial pressure and temperature on photosynthesis and calcification in a scleractinian coral. Glob. Change Biol. 9:1660–8. , , , , &
- 2004. Effects of CO2 enrichment on marine phytoplankton. J. Oceanogr. 60:719–29.
- 2006. Differential impacts of photoacclimation and thermal stress on the photobiology of four different phylotypes of Symbiodinium (Pyrrhophyta). J. Phycol. 42:568–79. &
- 2005. Regulation of photochemical activity in cultured symbiotic dinoflagellates under nitrate limitation and deprivation. Mar. Biol. 146:1063–73. &
- 2000. Fluorescent pigments in corals are photoprotective. Nature 408:850–3. , , , &
- 2008. Bleaching susceptibility and mortality of corals are determined by fine-scale differences in symbiont type. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 105:10444–9. , , &
- 2004. Pulse-amplitude-modulation (PAM) fluorometry and saturation pulse method: an overview. In Papageorgiou, G. C. & Govindjee [Eds.] Chlorophyll Fluorescence: A Signature of Photosynthesis. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, the Netherlands, pp. 279–319.
- 1995. Depth-dependent responses to solar ultraviolet radiation and oxidative stress in the zooxanthellate coral Acropora microphthalma. Mar. Biol. 122:41–51. , , , , &
- 1995. Induction of intracellular carbonic anhydrases during the adaptation to low inorganic carbon concentrations in wild-type and ca-1 mutant cells of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Planta 196:217–24. , &
- 1990. Host-zooxanthellae interactions in four temperate marine invertebrate symbioses: assessment of effect of host extracts on symbionts. Biol. Bull. 178:175–86. &
- 2005. Increased zooxanthellae nitric oxide synthase activity is associated with coral bleaching. Biol. Bull. 208:3–6. , , , , , &
- 2002. Ecological responses to recent climate change. Nature 416:389–95. , , , , , , , &
- 1999. Damage to photosystem II in symbiotic dinoflagellates: a determinant of coral bleaching. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 96:8007–12. , &
- 1989. A “CO2 supply” mechanism in zooxanthellate cnidarians: role of carbonic anhydrase. Mar. Biol. 100:195–202. , &
- Wilkinson, C. [Ed.] 2002. Status of Coral Reefs of the World: 2002. Australian Institute of Marine Science, Townsville, Queensland, Australia, 378 pp.
- 2003. Inorganic carbon limitation induces transcripts encoding components of the CO2-concentrating mechanism in Synechococcus sp. PCC7942 through a redox-independent pathway. Plant Physiol. 133:2069–80. , &
- 2005. Sensing of inorganic carbon limitation in Synechococcus PCC7942 is correlated with the size of the internal inorganic carbon pool and involves oxygen. Plant Physiol. 139:1959–69. , &
- 2001. CO2 in Seawater: Equilibrium, Kinetics, Isotopes. Elsevier Oceanography Series, Vol. 65. Elsevier, Amsterdam, 346 pp. &