Our thanks to our colleagues at the Telethon Institute for Child Health Research who supported this research. This research was funded by the Health Promotion Foundation of Western Australia (Healthway#10563), NHMRC Program Grants 003209 and 353514. JK is partially funded by a grant to the NPEU and by a National Public Health Career Scientist Award from the Department of Health and NHS R&D (PHSC 022) and CB by NHMRC Fellowships 172303 and 353628.
Alcohol Consumption During Pregnancy in Nonindigenous West Australian Women
Article first published online: 10 JAN 2007
Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research
Volume 31, Issue 2, pages 276–284, February 2007
How to Cite
Colvin, L., Payne, J., Parsons, D., Kurinczuk, J. J. and Bower, C. (2007), Alcohol Consumption During Pregnancy in Nonindigenous West Australian Women. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 31: 276–284. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-0277.2006.00303.x
- Issue published online: 10 JAN 2007
- Article first published online: 10 JAN 2007
- Received for publication March 16, 2006; accepted September 29 2006.
- 1999) What really causes FAS? Teratology 59:4–6. (
- 2006) Alcohol consumption before and during pregnancy comparing concurrent and retrospective reports. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 30:510–515. , , , (
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (2005) Statistics on Drug Use in Australia 2004. AIHW, Canberra.
- 2004) Folate promotion in Western Australia and the prevention of neural tube defects. Aust N Z J Public Health 28:458–464. , , , , , (
- 2006) Standardization of alcohol calculations in research. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 30:1276–1287. (
- 2006) Use of record linkage to examine alcohol use in pregnancy. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 30:642–648. , , (
- 2002) Survey data need not underestimate alcohol consumption. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 26:1561–1567. , , (
- 2006) Alcohol consumption patterns among pregnant women in the Moscow region of the Russian Federation. Alcohol 38:133–137. , , , , (
- 2003) Australian Alcohol Indicators, 1990–2001. Patterns of Alcohol Use and Related Harms for Australian States and Territories. National Drug Research Institute and Turning Point Alcohol and Drug Centre Inc., Perth, Western Australia. , , , , , , (
- 1998) Volume of ethanol consumption: effects of different approaches to measurement. J Stud Alcohol 59:191–197. (
- 2000) Towards agreement on ways to measure and report drinking patterns and alcohol-related problems in adult general population surveys: the Skarpo conference overview. J Subst Abuse 12:1–21. , (
- 1991) Prenatal alcohol exposure and offspring growth at 18 months of age: the predictive validity of two measures of drinking. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 15:914–918. , , , , , , , (
- 1999) Prenatal alcohol use and offspring size at 10 years of age. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 23:863–869. , , , , , (
- 2003) The validity of self-reports of alcohol consumption: state of the science and challenges for research. Addiction 98 (suppl 2): 1–12. , (
- 1999) Comparison of binge drinking among pregnant and nonpregnant women, United States, 1991–1995. Am J Obstet Gynecol 180:1–7. , , , (
- 2004) Influence of the recall period on self-reported alcohol intake. Eur J Clin Nutr 58:60–63. (
- 1999) Alcohol use prior to pregnancy recognition. Am J Prev Med 17:101–107. , , (
- 1998) Perinatal Statistics in Western Australia: Fourteenth Annual Report of the Western Australian Midwives' Notification System 1996. Health Information Centre, Health Department of Western Australia, Perth. (
- 2000) Ways of measuring drinking patterns and the difference they make: experience with graduated frequencies. J Subst Abuse 12:33–49. (
- International Center for Alcohol Policies (1997) Health Warning Labels. ICAP Reports 3. ICAP, Washington, DC.
- International Center for Alcohol Policies (1999) Government Policies on Alcohol and Pregnancy. ICAP Reports 6. ICAP, Washington, DC.
- 1994) Prenatal alcohol exposure and neurobehavioral development: where is the threshold? Alcohol Health Res World 18:30–36. , (
- 1995) Interpretations of risk: the use of scientific information in the development of the alcohol warning label policy. Int J Addict 30:1519–1548. (
- 2000) An alternative to standard drinks as a measure of alcohol consumption. J Subst Abuse 12:67–78. , (
- 2001) Pre-pregnancy drinking: how drink size affects risk assessment. Addiction 96:1199–1209. , (
- 1999) The relationship between asthma and smoking during pregnancy. Women Health 29:31–47. , , , (
- 1989) Maternal beer drinking: offspring growth and brain myelination. Neurotoxicology 10:407–415. , , (
- 1997) The effects of prenatal alcohol exposure. Alcohol Health Res World 21:192–198. , (
- 2006) Pattern of alcohol consumption during pregnancy and risk for low birth weight. Ann Epidemiol 16:432–438. , , , , , (
- 1990) Attention deficits in children exposed to alcohol prenatally. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 14:656–661. , (
- National Health and Medical Research Council (1992) Is There a Safe Level of Daily Consumption of Alcohol for Men and Women?, 2nd ed., NHMRC, Canberra.
- National Health and Medical Research Council (2001) Australian Alcohol Guidelines: Health Risks and Benefits. NHMRC, Canberra.
- 2002) Fetal alcohol syndrome: a literature review. National Alcohol Strategy, 2001 to 2003–04. Occasional paper, August 2002. (
- 2002) Clinical implications of a link between fetal alcohol spectrum disorder and attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. Can J Psychiatry 47:349–354. , (
- 1997) Association of prenatal alcohol exposure with behavioral and learning problems in early adolescence. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 36:1187–1194. , , , , , (
- 2006) Beer consumption among hazardous drinkers during pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol 107:355–360. , , , , (
- SAS/STAT. Copyright (c) 1999–2001 by SAS Institute Inc. Cary, NC, USA.
- 2001) Prenatal alcohol exposure and childhood behavior at age 6 to 7 years: I. dose–response effect. Pediatrics 108:E34. , , , , , , , , (
- 1997) A population maternal and child health research database for research and policy evaluation in Western Australia. Semin Neonatol 2:195–201. , , , , (
- 2004) Under-reporting of alcohol consumption in household surveys: a comparison of quantity-frequency, graduated-frequency and recent recall. Addiction 99:1024–1033. , , , , , (
- 2001) Patterns of Alcohol Consumption in Australia, 1998. National Alcohol Indicators, Technical Report No. 3. National Drug Research Institute, Curtin University of Technology, Perth. , , (
- 1990) Moderate prenatal alcohol exposure: effects on child IQ and learning problems at age 7 1/2 years. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 14:662–669. , , (
- 2003) The effects of prenatal alcohol exposure on infant mental development: a meta-analytical review. Alcohol Alcohol 38:295–304. , , (
- 1990) Is there a fetal effect with low to moderate alcohol use before or during pregnancy? J Epidemiol Community Health 44:297–302. , , (
- 2006) Moderate prenatal alcohol exposure and cognitive status of children at age 10. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 30:1051–1059. , , (
- 2004) Verbal and visuospatial learning and memory function in children with moderate prenatal alcohol exposure. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 28:497–507. , , , (
- 2005) Australian Women and Alcohol Consumption, 1996–2003. National Drug Strategy, Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing, Canberra. , , , (