We would like to thank the following for their feedback and contributions in preparing the manuscript: Anna Berlin, Andrea Fessler, Benjamin Lozada, Jose Alba, and Megan Leonhardt.
Economic Dynamics and Changes in Attitudes Toward Undocumented Mexican Immigrants in Arizona
Article first published online: 7 JUL 2011
© 2011 The Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues
Analyses of Social Issues and Public Policy
Volume 11, Issue 1, pages 300–313, December 2011
How to Cite
Diaz, P., Saenz, D. S. and Kwan, V. S.Y. (2011), Economic Dynamics and Changes in Attitudes Toward Undocumented Mexican Immigrants in Arizona. Analyses of Social Issues and Public Policy, 11: 300–313. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-2415.2011.01255.x
- Issue published online: 15 DEC 2011
- Article first published online: 7 JUL 2011
- 1954). The nature of prejudice. Reading , MA : Addison-Wesley. (
- 2010, April 23). Arizona enacts stringent law on immigration. The New York Times. Retrieved on September 28, 2010 from http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/24/us/politics/24immig.html?_r=1. (
- Arizona Senate Bill 1070, S. 1070, 49th Legislature, 2nd Sess. (2010).
- Arizona House Bill 2162, H. 2162, 49th Legislature, 2nd Sess. (2010).
- 1990). The killing fields of the deep South: The market for cotton and the lynching of Blacks, 1882–1930. American Sociological Review, 55, 526–539. , & (
- 1963). The Protestant Crusade, 1800–1860: A Study of the Origins of American Nativism, Gloucester , Mass .: Peter Smith. (
- 1967). Toward a theory of minority-group relations. New York : Wiley. (
- 1979). Ingroup bias in the minimal intergroup situations: A cognitive motivational analysis. Psychological Bulletin, 86, 307–324. (
- 2003). Immigration and immigrants: Trends in American public opinion, 1964–1999. Journal of Ethnic & Cultural Diversity in Social Work, 12, 73–90. , , , , , , & , (
- 1997). Public Opinion Toward Immigration Reform: The Role of Economic Motivation. The Journal of Politics, 59, 858–881. , , , & (
- CNN opinion research poll (2010, July). Retrieved on September 28, 2010 from http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/07/27/cnnopinion-research-poll-july-16--21-arizona-law/.
- 2005). Different emotional reactions to different groups: A sociofunctional threat-based approach to ‘prejudice. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 88, 770–789. , & (
- 2010). Predicting policy attitudes from general prejudice versus specific intergroup emotions. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 46, 247–254. , , & (
- 1998). Interests Not Passions: Mexican-American Attitudes toward Mexico, Immigration from Mexico, and Other Issues Shaping U.S.-Mexico Relations. International Migration Review, 32, 401–422. (
- 2005). American = White? Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 88, 447–466. , & (
- 2010). Understanding bias toward Latinos: Discrimination, dimensions of difference, and experiences of exclusion. Journal of Social Issues, 66, 59–78. , , , , & (
- 1998). Intergroup competition and attitudes toward immigrants and immigration: An instrumental model of group conflict. Journal of Social Issues, 54, 699–724. , , & (
- 2001). The immigration dilemma: The role of perceived group competition, ethnic prejudice, and national identity. Journal of Social Issues, 57, 389–412. , , & (
- 2000). Reducing intergroup bias: The common ingroup identity model. Philadelphia : Psychology Press. , & (
- 2005). Choice of scapegoats. In J. F. Dovidio, P. Glick, & L. A. Rudman (Eds.). On the nature of prejudice: 50 years after Allport (pp. 244–261). Malden , MA : Blackwell. (
- 2009). Estimates of the unauthorized immigrant population residing in the United States: January 2008. Washington , DC : Department of Homeland Security Office of Immigration Statistics. , , & (
- 2002). Attitudes toward U.S. immigration policy: The roles of in-group-out-group bias, economic concern, and obedience to law. Journal of Social Psychology, 142, 617–634. , & (
- 2001). Attitudes towards Illegal Immigration into the United States: California Proposition 187. Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences, 23, 430–443. , , & (
- 2009). Changing attitudes toward immigration in Europe, 2002–2007: A dynamic group conflict theory approach. Social Science Research, 38, 352–365. , , & (
- 2005). Economic forces and anti-immigrant attitudes in Western Europe: A paradox in search of an explanation. Patterns of Prejudice, 39, 60–74. (
- 2002, May). Calculation for the test of the difference between two independent correlation coefficients [Computer software]. Available from http://quantpsy.org. (
- 2010). How “undocumented workers” and “illegal aliens” affect prejudice toward Mexican immigrants. Social Influence, 5, 118–132. (
- 2006). Intergroup threat and outgroup attitudes: A meta analytic review. Personality and Social Psychology Review, 10, 336–353. , , & (
- 2010). The relationship between outgroup size and anti-outgroup attitudes: A theoretical synthesis and empirical test of group threat and intergroup contact theory, Social Science Research, 39, 285–295. & (
- 2010). American public opinion on immigrants and immigration policy, Public Opinion Quarterly, 74, 375–394. , & (
- State v. Graciano, 653 P.2d 683, 687 n.7 (Ariz. 1982).
- 2005). The effects of feeling threatened on attitudes towards immigrants. International Journal of Intercultural relations,29, 1–19. , , , , & (
- 2009, April 24). Health officials caution about Mexican swine flu. Phoenix Business Journal. http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/stories/2009/04/20/daily81.html. (
- 1982). Social identity and intergroup relations. Cambridge , England : Cambridge University Press. (
- Thousands in Phoenix protest against SB 1070, thousands of SB 1070 supporters rally in Tempe (2010, May 29). KVOA.com. Retrieved March 9, 2010, from http://www.kvoa.com/news/thousands-in-phoenix-protest-against-sb-1070-thousands-of-sb-1070-supporters-rally-in-tempe/.
- United States v. Brignoni-Ponce, 422 U.S. 873, 886–87 (1975).
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics Factbook (2010). Retrieved September 28, 2010, from http://www.bls.gov/lau/home.htm.
- U.S. Bureau of Economic Analyses (BEA) Factbook (2010). Retrieved September 28, 2010, from http://www.bea.gov/national/index.htm#gdp.
- 2003). Immigration: Opposing view points. San Diego : Greenhaven Press. (
- 2004). Cultural threat and perceived realistic group conflict as dual predictors of prejudice. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 40, 99–105. , , , & (
- 2003). A people's history of the United States. New York : Harper Colophon. (