This research has benefited from the comments of Donald Alexander, Charles Clotfelter, Keith Crocker, Andrew W. Dick, Ronald Ehrenberg, Michael Gibbs, James Meehan and Steven Maser, as well as from participants at numerous seminars and conferences. I thank Otway Pardee and Father James Thornton for their cooperation and assistance in obtaining the data and its documentation. Gautam Ahuja, Avik Chakrabati, and Carrie Winters provided valuable research assistance. This research is part of a larger project on the governance of higher education, generous support for which has been provided by the Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation and the University of Michigan Ross School of Business. An earlier version of this paper was circulated under the main title “Commitment and Political Governance.”
Authority and Commitment: Why Universities, Like Legislatures, Are Not Organized as Firms
Version of Record online: 18 JUL 2006
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy
Volume 15, Issue 3, pages 649–684, Fall 2006
How to Cite
Masten, S. E. (2006), Authority and Commitment: Why Universities, Like Legislatures, Are Not Organized as Firms. Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, 15: 649–684. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-9134.2006.00113.x
- Issue online: 18 JUL 2006
- Version of Record online: 18 JUL 2006
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!