This paper presents some of the results from our 2004 working paper of the same name. Thanks to Peter Bessen of May8Software for providing a software agent to acquire our patent database and Annette Fratantaro for her work with the Compustat data set. Also thanks to John Allison, Tony Breitzman, Joseph Bush, and Rosemarie Ziedonis for sharing data with us. We thank the editor and referees, Iain Cockburn, Mary Daly, Dan Elfenbein, Terry Fisher, Bronwyn Hall, Joachim Henkel, Brian Kahin, David Mowery, Leonard Nakamura, Cecil Quillen, Eric von Hippel, Rosemarie Ziedonis, and numerous seminar participants for helpful comments. We alone are responsible for any remaining errors. The views expressed here are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views of the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia or the Federal Reserve System.
An Empirical Look at Software Patents
Version of Record online: 22 JAN 2007
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy
Volume 16, Issue 1, pages 157–189, Spring 2007
How to Cite
Bessen, J. and Hunt, . R. M. (2007), An Empirical Look at Software Patents. Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, 16: 157–189. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-9134.2007.00136.x
- Issue online: 22 JAN 2007
- Version of Record online: 22 JAN 2007
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!