We thank Saku Aura, Roger Betancourt, Paul Dobson, Luke Froeb, Jerry Hausman, Günter Hitcsh, Ephraim Leibtag, Saul Lach, Daniel Levy, Yeşim Orhun, David Parsley, the editor and two anonymous referees, and seminar participants at the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, UC Santa Cruz, Bar-Ilan University, DePaul University, University of Illinois–Chicago, University of Milan, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Yale University, the 2006 Comparative Analysis of Enterprise (Micro) Data Conference (Chicago), the 2007 IIOC (Savannah) and QME Conference (Chicago), and the 2008 Endogenous Market Structures and Industrial Policy conference (Milan) for helpful comments, Wal-Mart for providing the administrative data used in this paper with no strings attached, and Tom Holmes for the Distribution Center data. This research was supported by University of Missouri Research Board Grant #1344, and was started while Basker was visiting the Haas School of Business at the University of California–Berkeley, which she thanks for its hospitality.
The Evolving Food Chain: Competitive Effects of Wal-Mart's Entry into the Supermarket Industry
Version of Record online: 21 OCT 2009
© 2009, The Author(s) Journal Compilation © 2009 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy
Volume 18, Issue 4, pages 977–1009, Winter 2009
How to Cite
Basker, E. and Noel, M. (2009), The Evolving Food Chain: Competitive Effects of Wal-Mart's Entry into the Supermarket Industry. Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, 18: 977–1009. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-9134.2009.00235.x
- Issue online: 21 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 21 OCT 2009
- 2001, “Price Pass-through and the Minimum Wage,” Review of Economics and Statistics, 83(1), 158–169. ,
- Albertson's, Inc., 2004, Form 10-K /A , Boise , ID .
- American Chamber of Commerce Research Association, 2000, “ACCRA Cost of Living Index Manual,”.
- 2005, “Selling a Cheaper Mousetrap: Wal-Mart's Effect on Retail Prices,” Journal of Urban Economics, 58(2), 203–229. ,
- 2006, “When Good Instruments Go Bad,” unpublished paper, University of Missouri . ,
- 2003, “Price War in Aisle 3,” Wall Street Journal, May 27, 2003. and ,
- 2002, “Supermarket Pricing Survey,” UBS Warburg Global Equity Research. and ,
- 2009, “Strategic Assortment Reduction by a Dominant Retailer,” Marketing Science, 28(2), 309–319. , , and ,
- 2006, “Quality Competition in Retailing: A Structural Analysis,” International Journal of Industrial Organization, 24(3), 521–540. ,
- 2007, “Does Sutton Apply to Supermarkets? RAND Journal of Economics, 38(1), 43–59. ,
- 2008, “Supermarket Pricing Strategies,” Marketing Science, 27(5), 811–828. and ,
- 2009, “Competition between Local and Electronic Markets: How the Benefit of Buying Online Depends on where You Live,” Management Science, 55(1), 47–57. , , and ,
- 2006, “Market Selection, Reallocation and Restructuring in the U.S. Retail Trade Sector in the 1990s,” Review of Economics and Statistics, 88(4), 748–758. , , and ,
- 2001, “The Retail Price of Inequality,” Journal of Urban Economics, 49(2), 219–239. and ,
- 2006, “Unequal Competition among Chains of Supercenters: Kmart, Target, and Wal-Mart,” Professional Geographer, 58(1), 54–64. ,
- CPI Bias from Supercenters: Does the BLS Know that Wal-Mart Exists?” In E.Diewert, J.Greenless, and C.Hulten (eds.), Price Index Concepts and Measurement, Chicago : University of Chicago Press. and , forthcoming, “
- 2007, “Consumer Benefits from Increased Competition in Shopping Outlets: Measuring the Effect of Wal-Mart,” Journal of Applied Econometrics, 22(7), 1157–1177. and ,
- 2008, “The Diffusion of Wal-Mart and Economies of Density,” National Bureau of Economic Research Working Paper 13783. ,
- Kroger, 2006, “2006 Kroger Fact Book,” Available at http://www.thekrogerco.com/finance/financialinfo_reportsandstatements.htm (accessed 8 October 2008).
- 2005, “Winn-Dixie Files for Chapter 11,” Wall Street Journal, February 23, 2005. ,
- 1996, “Convergence to the Law of One Price without Trade Barriers or Currency Fluctuations,” Quarterly Journal of Economics, 111(4), 1211–1236. and ,
- Safeway Inc., various years, Safeway Inc. Annual Report, Pleaseanton , CA .
- 2006, “Market Entry and Consumer Behavior: An Investigation of a Wal-Mart Supercenter,” Marketing Science, 25(5), 457–476. , , and ,
- Supermarket News, various years, “Top 75 North American Food Retailers,” Supermarket News .
- U.S. Census Bureau, 2006, Current Business Reports, Series BR/05-A: Annual Revision of Monthly Retail and Food Services: Sales and Inventories—January 1992 Through February 2006, Washington , DC .
- 2006, “Wal-Mart Extending Dominance of the Grocery Business,” New York Times, March 3, 2006. ,
- 2001, Data Warehousing: Using the Wal-Mart Model, San Francisco : Morgan Kaufmann Publishers. ,
- 2005, “Local Competition and Impact of Entry by a Dominant Retailer,” Unpublished Paper, Carnegie Mellon University . , , and ,