An early version of this paper was entitled “The Design of Industry.” A coeditor and an anonymous referee made very helpful comments. In addition, we are indebted to seminar participants at Berkeley, Harvard, MIT, NYU, Toronto, the 2006 IIOC, and the 2007 AEA meetings, as well as George Baker, Ken Corts, Mercedes Delgado Garcia, Bob Gibbons, Oliver Hart, Tom Hubbard, Whitney Newey, Jim Orlin, Roberto Rigobon, Duncan Simester, Eric Van den Steen, Tom Stoker, Dan Whitney, Dennis Yao, Florian Zettelmeyer, and Ezra Zuckerman. Dmitri Byzalov, Chris Ruggerio, and especially Carol Meyers provided excellent research assistance. Of course, the usual disclaimer applies.
On the Grouping of Tasks into Firms: Make-or-Buy with Interdependent Parts*
Version of Record online: 18 JAN 2012
© 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy
Volume 21, Issue 1, pages 53–77, Spring 2012
How to Cite
Novak, S. and Wernerfelt, B. (2012), On the Grouping of Tasks into Firms: Make-or-Buy with Interdependent Parts. Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, 21: 53–77. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-9134.2011.00322.x
- Issue online: 18 JAN 2012
- Version of Record online: 18 JAN 2012
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!