Understanding the Organization of Industrial Ecosystems
A Social Network Approach
Version of Record online: 4 MAR 2008
© 2008 by Yale University
Journal of Industrial Ecology
Volume 12, Issue 1, pages 34–51, February 2008
How to Cite
Ashton, W. (2008), Understanding the Organization of Industrial Ecosystems. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 12: 34–51. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2008.00002.x
- Issue online: 4 MAR 2008
- Version of Record online: 4 MAR 2008
- 2003. Inter-firm collaboration in eco-industrial networks with a case study of Puerto Rico's pharmaceutical manufacturing cluster. Master's thesis, School of Forestry & Environmental Studies, Yale University , New Haven , CT .
- 2004. An industrial ecology project in practice: Exploring the boundaries of decision-making levels in regional industrial systems. Journal of Cleaner Production 12(8-10): 1073–1085. and .
- 2002. NetDraw: Graph Visualization Software 2.41. Harvard , MA : Analytic Technologies .
- 2002. Ucinet for Windows: Software for Social Network Analysis 6. Harvard , MA : Analytic Technologies . , , and .
- 2002. Dynamic social network modeling and analysis: Workshop summary and papers. Washington , DC : National Academies Press. , , and .
- 2000. Industrial symbiosis: Literature and taxonomy. Annual Review of Energy & Environment 25(1): 313–337.
- 2007. “Uncovering” industrial symbiosis. Journal of Industrial Ecology 11(1): 11–30.
- 2008. Industrial symbiosis in Puerto Rico: Environmentally-related agglomeration economies. Regional Studies. Forthcoming. , , and .
- 2000. A walk on the human side of industrial ecology. American Behavioral Scientist 44(2): 245–264.
- 2005. Sensitivity of MRQAP tests to collinearity and autocorrelation. In Working Paper Series on Research in Relationship Management. Nijmegen , Netherlands : Nijmegen School of Management. , , and .
- 2001. Cities and industrial symbiosis: Some historical perspectives and policy implications. Journal of Industrial Ecology 5(4): 29–34.
- 2002. Industrial symbiosis: the legacy of Kalundborg. In A Handbook of Industrial Ecology, edited by R. U.Ayres and L. W.Ayres. Cheltenham , UK : Edward Elgar. and .
- 1989. Strategies for manufacturing. Scientific American 266: 144–152. and .
- 2003. Trust and networking in inter-firm relations: The case of eco-industrial development. Local Economy 18(3): 222–236.
- 2005. Industrial ecology and eco-industrial development: A new paradigm for local and regional development? Regional Studies 39(2): 171–183. , , and .
- 2000. Industrial clusters: Complexes, agglomeration and/or social networks. Urban Studies 37(3): 513–532. and .
- 2005. Introduction to social network methods. Riverside, CA : University of California. and .
- 1996. Innovative firm behavior and local milieu: Exploring the intersection of agglomeration, firm effects, and technological change. Economic Geography 72(3): 233–258. , , and .
- 2003. Linking social systems analysis to the industrial ecology framework. Organization & Environment 16(1): 66–86.
- 2006. Organizational dynamics in industrial ecosystems: Insights from organizational behavior theory. In Dynamics of industrial ecosystems, edited by M.Ruth and B.Davidsdottir. Forthcoming. and .
- Inland Chemical. 1973. Final environmental impact statement for Inland Chemical Project, Manati, Puerto Rico. San Juan , Puerto Rico : Administracion de Fomento Economico.
- 2005. Industrial symbiosis in the making: Bridging social and technical explanations—The case of Kalundborg, Denmark. Paper presented at 11th Annual International Sustainable Development Research Conference, 6–8 June, Helsinki , Finland .
- 2005. Understanding the evolution of industrial symbiotic networks: The case of Kalundborg. In Economics of industrial ecology: Materials, structural change, and spatial scales, edited by J. C. J. M.van den Bergh and M.Janssen. Cambridge , MA : MIT Press. and .
- 1996. Sticky places in slippery space: A typology of industrial districts. Economic Geography 72(3): 293–313.
- 2001. Networking tips for social scientists and ecologists. Science 293: 1604–1605. , , and .
- Microsoft Corporation. 2002. Microsoft Access 10.2627.2625. Redmond , WA : Microsoft Corporation .
- 1998. On competition. Cambridge , MA : Harvard Business School .
- 2004a. A perspective of economic geography. Journal of Economic Geography 4(5): 479–499.
- 2004b. Reflections on a half-century of organizational sociology. Annual Review of Sociology 30(1): 1–21.
- SPSS Inc. 2005. SPSS 14.0 for Windows—Graduate student edition. Chicago : SPSS Inc .
- 2000. Agency and social networks: Strategies of action in a social structure of position, opposition, and opportunity. Administrative Science Quarterly 45(4): 651–678. and .
- US Census Bureau. 2005. 2002 economic census of island areas: Puerto Rico manufacturing. Washington , DC : US Census Bureau .
- 1996. The sources and consequences of embeddedness for the economic performance of organizations: the network effect. American Sociological Review 61(4): 674–698.
- 2007. Industrial symbiosis in the Australian minerals industry. Journal of Industrial Ecology 11(1): 55–72. , , , and .
- 2004. Industrial symbiosis in Australia: An update on some developments and research initiatives. In The Industrial Symbiosis Research Symposium at Yale: Advancing the study of industry and environment. New Haven , CT : Yale School of Forestry & Environmental Studies. .
- 1994. Social network analysis: Methods and applications. Cambridge , UK : Cambridge University Press. and .
- 1988. Structural analysis: From method and metaphor to theory and substance. In Social Structures: A Network Approach, edited by B.Wellman and S. D.Berkowitz. Cambridge, UK : Cambridge University Press.
- 1976. Social structure from multiple networks: I. Blockmodels of roles and positions. American Journal of Sociology 81(4): 738–780. , , and .
- Zero Emissions Research and Initiatives. 2005. ZERI case studies. Montfort Boys Town , Fiji : Zero Emissions Research and Initiatives. <http://www.zeri.org/index.cfm?id=projectFiji>. Accessed 2005.