“It is easy to envision how life cycle thinking can inform the conduct of assessments of risk. Stepping through the life cycle of a material identifies the pertinent exposure pathways and forms of a substance and elicits the need for more detailed evaluation at particular life cycle stages to characterize impacts.”
Informing Environmental Decision Making by Combining Life Cycle Assessment and Risk Analysis
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
© 2008 by Yale University
Journal of Industrial Ecology
Volume 12, Issue 3, pages 278–281, June 2008
How to Cite
Shatkin, J. A. (2008), Informing Environmental Decision Making by Combining Life Cycle Assessment and Risk Analysis. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 12: 278–281. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2008.00031.x
- Issue published online: 25 SEP 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- COM (European Commission). 2004. Towards a European strategy for nanotechnology. http://cordis.europa.eu/nanotechnology/actionplan.htm. Accessed 25 May 2007.
- 2007. How to assess the risks of nanotechnology: Learning from past experience. Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology 7: 402–409.
- EPA (Environmental Protection Agency). 2008. Draft nanomaterial research strategy (NRS). EPA/600/S-08/002. Washington , DC : EPA.
- 2002. Introduction to special issue on life cycle assessment and risk analysis. Risk Analysis 22: 819–820. , , , , and .
- 2005. Principles for characterizing the potential human health effects from exposure to nanomaterials: Elements of a screening strategy. Particle and Fibre Toxicology 2: 8. , , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Relative risk analysis of several manufactured nanomaterials: An insurance industry context. Environmental Science and Technology 39(22): 8985–8994. , , , and .
- 2006. Analyzing nanotechnology risks across the life cycle: Strategies and policy implications. Society for Risk Analysis Annual Meeting, 3–6 December, Baltimore , MD . http://birenheide.com/sra/2006AM/program/singlesession.php3?se-ssid=T3-A. Accessed 16 June 2007.
- 2008. Nonetechnology: Health and Environmental Risks. Boca Raton , FL : CRC Press.
- 2008. Nanotechnology Health and Environmental Risks. Boca Raton , FL : CRC Press.
- 2008. Identification of risks in the life-cycle of nanotechnology-based products. Journal of Industrial Ecology 12(3). , , , and .
- Woodrow Wilson Center for Scholars and the European Commission. 2007. Nanotechnology and life cycle assessment: A systems approach to nanotechnology and the environment. Report of a 2006 workshop. Washington , DC : Woodrow Wilson Center for Scholars and the European Commission.