Precaution in Practice
Perceptions, Procedures, and Performance in the Nanotech Industry
Article first published online: 3 SEP 2008
© 2008 by Yale University
Journal of Industrial Ecology
Volume 12, Issue 3, pages 449–458, June 2008
How to Cite
Helland, A., Kastenholz, H. and Siegrist, M. (2008), Precaution in Practice. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 12: 449–458. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2008.00053.x
- Issue published online: 25 SEP 2008
- Article first published online: 3 SEP 2008
- ANSI (American National Standards Institute). 2007. ISO TC 229 Nanotechnologies lays roadmaps for international standards. http://www.ansi.org/news_publications/news_story.aspx?menuid=7&articleid=1271. Accessed 27 August 2007.
- 2000. Encouraging inherently safer production in European firms: A report from the field. Journal of Hazardous Materials 78: 123–144. and .
- BMBF (Federal Ministry for Education and Research). 2006. The high tech strategy for Germany. Berlin : BMBF.
- 2007. How to assess the risks of nanotechnology: Learning from past experience. Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology 7: 402–409.
- DEFRA (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs). 2006. UK voluntary reporting scheme for engineered nanoscale materials. http://www.defra.gov.uk/ENVIRONMENT/nanotech/policy/. Accessed 30 March 2007.
- 2004. Using life-cycle assessment in process design: Supercritical water gasification of organic feedstocks. Journal of Industrial Ecology 7(3–4): 75–91. , , and .
- 2006. A toxicological review of quantum dots: Toxicity depends on physiochemical and environmental factors. Environmental Health Perspectives 114(2): 165–171.
- 1998. Talking with the donkey: Cooperative approaches to environmental protection. Journal of Industrial Ecology 2(3): 51–72.
- 1997. Toward a new generation of environmental technology: The need for legislative reform. Journal of Industrial Ecology 1(2): 23–32. and .
- 2007. Development of nanotechnology in light of sustainability. Journal of Cleaner Production 16(8–9): 885–888. and .
- 2006. Nanoparticulate materials and regulatory policy in Europe: An analysis of stakeholder perspectives. Journal of Nanoparticle Research 8: 709–719. , , , , and .
- 2007. Reviewing the environmental and human health knowledge base of carbon nanotubes. Environmental Health Perspectives 115(8): 1125–1131. , , , , and .
- 2008. Risk assessment of engineered nanomaterials—Survey of industrial approaches. Environmental Science & Technology 42(2): 640–646. , , , , , and .
- ICON (International Council on Nanotechnology). 2006. ICON report: A survey of current practices in the nanotechnology workplace. http://cohesion.rice.edu/CentersAndInst/ICON/emplibrary/ICONNanotechSurveyFullReduced.pdf. Accessed 31 March 2007.
- 2007. Studying the potential release of carbon nanotubes throughout the application life cycle. Journal of Cleaner Production. Forthcoming. , , , and .
- 2001. Trust, but verify. Journal of Industrial Ecology 5(2): 9–11. and .
- 2008. Identifying and predicting biological risks associated with manufactured nanoparticles in aquatic ecosystems. Journal of Industrial Ecology 12(3) doi: DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2008.00041.x. and .
- Nanosafe. 2007. Welcome to Nanosafe2 project. http://www.nanosafe.org. Accessed October 31 2007.
- 2005. Nanotoxicology: An emerging discipline evolving from studies of ultrafine particles. Environmental Health Perspectives 113(7): 823–839. , , and .
- 2006. Cleaner nanotechnology and hazard reduction of manufactured nanoparticles. Journal of Cleaner Production 14: 124–133.
- 2007. Lay people's and experts' perception of nanotechnology hazards. Risk Analysis 27(1): 59–69. , , , , and .
- 2007. Risks and nanotechnology: The public is more concerned than experts and industry. Nature Nanotechnology 2(February): 67. , , , and .
- 2008. Americans' nanotechnology risk perception: Assessing opinion change. Journal of Industrial Ecology 12(3) doi: DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2008.00032.x. , , , .
- U.S. EPA (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency). 2007. Nanotechnology white paper. Washington , DC : U.S. EPA.
- 1997. The relationship between cleaner production and industrial ecology. Journal of Industrial Ecology 1(1): 51–66. , , and .
- 2007. Sustainable governance of emerging technologies—Critical constellations in the agent network of nanotechnology. Technology in Society 29: 388–406. , , , and .