Environmental Assessment of Single-Walled Carbon Nanotube Processes
Version of Record online: 5 SEP 2008
© 2008 by Yale University
Journal of Industrial Ecology
Volume 12, Issue 3, pages 376–393, June 2008
How to Cite
Healy, M. L., Dahlben, L. J. and Isaacs, J. A. (2008), Environmental Assessment of Single-Walled Carbon Nanotube Processes. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 12: 376–393. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2008.00058.x
- Issue online: 25 SEP 2008
- Version of Record online: 5 SEP 2008
- 2006. The role of thermodynamics in the LCA of emerging and existing technologies. Paper presented at 2006 IEEE Symposium on Electronics and the Environment, 8–11 May, San Francisco , CA . and .
- 2003. Evaluation of aerosol release during the handling of unrefined single-walled carbon nanotube material, edited by NIOSH. http://frictioncenter.engr.siu.edu/Media/NIOSH%20%20DART-02-191%20r1-1%20med%20res.pdf. Accessed 9 July 2008. , , and .
- 2000. Unusually high thermal conductivity of carbon nanotubes. Physical Review Letters 84(20): 4613–4616. , , and .
- 1993. Cobalt-catalyted growth of carbon nanotubes with single-atomic-layer walls. Nature 363(6430): 605–607. , , , , , , and .
- 2002. Nanomanufacturing and processing: Research, education, infrastructure, security, resource. Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering 124(2): 489–490. , , , and .
- 2006. ESH & nanotechnology: A joint study by the Chemical Industry Vision2020 and the Semiconductor Research Corporation. Paper presented at 2006 IEEE International Symposium on Energy and the Environment, 5–10 May, San Francisco , CA . , , , , and .
- 2001. Gas-phase production of carbon single-walled nanotubes from carbon monoxide via the HiPco process: A parametric study. Center for Nanoscale Science and Technology, Rice University 19(4): 1800–1805. , , , , and .
- 2005. Carbon nanotubes—Definition, properties, industry applications and possible environmental concerns. http://www.azonano.com/details.asp?ArticleID=1381. Accessed 14 August 2006.
- 2003. The potential environmental impact of engineered nanomaterials. Nature Biotechnology 21(10): 1166–1170.
- 2003. The wondrous world of carbon nanotubes. Eindhoven , the Netherlands : Eindhoven University of Technology. , , , , , and .
- DOE (Department of Energy). 2007. Approach to nanomaterial ESH. Washington , DC : DOE.
- 2006. Carbon nanotubes: A review of their properties in relation to pulmonary toxicology and workplace safety. Toxicological Sciences 92(1): 5–22. , , , , , , and .
- 2002. The nanomanufacturing programme at the National Science Foundation. Nanotechnology 13(3): 248–252.
- 2004. Toxicological highlight—Health and environmental impact of nanotechnology: Toxicological assessment of manufactured nanoparticles. Toxicological Sciences 77(1): 3–5.
- 2008. Guidelines for the safe handling of nanoparticles in university research laboratories. Submitted for publication to the Journal of Science and Technology for Advanced Materials. , , and .
- EPA (Environmental Protection Agency). 2007. Final nanotechnology white paper. Washington , DC : EPA.
- 2005. Effects of fullerenes and single-walled carbon nanotubes on murine and human macrophages. Carbon 44(6): 1100–1105. , , , and .
- 2000. Synthesis of single-walled carbon nanotubes: Co-MgO composite powders and extraction of the nanotubes. Journal of Materials Chemistry 10(2): 249–252. , , , and .
- 2007. Thermodynamic characterization of manufacturing processes. Paper presented at IEEE International Symposium on Electronics and the Environment, 7–10 May, Orlando , FL . , , , , and .
- 1992. New one-dimensional conductor: Graphite microtubules. Physical Review Letters 68(10): 1579–1581. , , and .
- 1999. Carbon nanotubes and related structures. Cambridge , UK : Cambridge University Press.
- 2006. Environmental and economic comparison of single-wall carbon nanotube production alternatives. Master's thesis, Northeastern University , Boston .
- 2004. Nanotechnology: Small matter, many unknowns. Report no. 1501255_04_en. Zurich , Switzerland : Swiss Re.
- 2005. Toxicology of carbon nanomaterials: Status, trends, and perspectives on the special issue. Carbon 44(6): 1028–1033. , , and .
- 1991. Helical microtubules of graphite carbon. Nature 354(6349): 56–58.
- 1993. Single-shell carbon nanotubes of 1-nm diameter. Nature 363(6430): 603–605. and .
- 2006. Environmental assessment of SWNT production. Paper presented at 2006 IEEE International Symposium on Electronics and the Environment, 5–10 May, San Francisco , CA . , , and .
- 2007. Nanotechnology and life cycle assessment. Washington , DC : U.S. EPA, Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, and the European Commission. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Intrinsic superconductivity in ropes of carbon nanotubes. American Institute of Physics 633(1): 237–241. , , , , and .
- 2004. Using a hybrid approach to evaluate semiconductor life cycle environmental issues—a case study in interconnect module impacts. Paper presented at 2004 IEEE International Symposium on Electronics and the Environment, 10–13 May, Scottsdale , AZ . , , , , , and .
- 2004. Pulmonary toxicity of single-wall carbon nanotubes in mice 7 and 90 days after intratracheal instillation. Toxicological Sciences 77(2): 126–134. , , , and .
- 2006. A review of carbon nanotube toxicity and assessment of potential occupational and environmental health risks. Critical Reviews of Toxicology 36(3): 189–217. , , , , and .
- 2006. Evaluating the impacts of nanomanufacturing via thermodynamic and life cycle analysis (ongoing research). Washington , DC : U.S. EPA.
- 2005. A life cycle analysis approach for evaluating future nanotechnology applications. Washington , DC : U.S. EPA. http://cfpub.epa.gov/ncer_abstracts/index.cfm/fuseaction/display.abstractDetail/abstract/6245/report/F. Accessed 9 July 2008. and .
- 2005. Analysis of nanotechnology from and industrial ecology perspective part I: Inventory and evaluation of life cycle assessments of nanotechnologies (revised draft). New Haven , CT : Yale School of Forestry & Environmental Studies.
- 2003. Life cycle economic and environmental implications of using nanocomposites in automobiles. Environmental Science and Technology 37(15): 3458–3466. and .
- 2005. Life cycle benefits of using nanotechnology to stabilize platinum-group metal particles in automotive catalysts. Environmental Science and Technology 39(6): 1384–1392. , , and .
- 2004. Single-walled carbon nanotubes produced by catalytic chemical vapor deposition of acetylene over Fe-Mo/MgO catalyst. Chemical Physics Letters 383(1–2): 104–108. , , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Nanotechnology: A research strategy for addressing risk. Washington , DC : Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars.
- 2004. Exposure to carbon nanotube material: Aerosol release during the handling of unrefined single-walled carbon nanotube material. Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part A 67(1): 87–107. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Nano risk framework. Washington , DC : Environmental Defense–Dupont Nano Partnership. and .
- 2006. Toward uniform nanotubular compounds: Synthetic approach and ab initio calculations. Journal of Chemical Physics 124(12): 121102–121105. , , and .
- 1992. Are fullerene tubules metallic? Physical Review Letters 68(5): 631–634. , , and .
- 2006. Respiratory toxicity of carbon nanotubes: How worried should we be? Carbon 44(6): 1048–1056. , , and .
- NEHI (Nanotechnology Environmental and Health Implications Working Group). 2007. Prioritization of environmental, health, and safety research needs for engineered nanoscale materials. Washington , DC : NEHI.
- 2006. Toxic potential of materials at the nanolevel. Science 311(5761): 622–627. , , , and .
- 1999. Gas-phase catalytic growth of single-walled carbon nanotubes from carbon monoxide. Chemical Physics Letters 313(1–2): 91–97. , , , , , , and .
- NIOSH (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health). 2007. Progress towards safe nanotechnology in the workplace. DHHS (NIOSH) Publication No. 2007-123. Washington , DC : NIOSH.
- 2005a. Nanotoxicology: An emerging discipline evolving from studies of ultrafine particles. Environmental Health Perspectives 113(7): 823–839. , , and .
- 2005b. Principles for characterizing the potential human health effects from exposure to nanomaterials: Elements of a screening strategy. Particle and Fiber Toxicology 2(8): 35. , , , , , , , et al. .
- 2006. Environmental assessment of micro/nano production in a life cycle perspective. Paper presented at 2005 Materials Research Society (MRS) Fall Meeting, 29 November-3 December, Boston , MA . and .
- 2008. Carbon nanotubes introduced into the abdominal cavity of mice show asbestos-like pathogenicity in a pilot study. Nature Nanotechnology 3: 423–428. http://www.nature.com/nnano/journal/v3/n7/full/nnano.2008.111.html. Accessed 9 July 2008. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Nanotechnology risk governance. White Paper No. 2. Geneva , Switzerland : International Risk Governance Council. and .
- 2005. Relative risk analysis of several manufactured nanomaterials: An insurance industry context. Environmental Science & Technology 39(22): 8985–8994. , , , and .
- Royal Society & Royal Academy of Engineering. 2004. Nanoscience and nanotechnologies: Opportunities and uncertainties. London : Royal Society.
- 1992. Electronic structure of graphine tubules based on C60. Physical Review B 46(3): 1804–1811. , , , and .
- 2007. Green nanotechnology: It's easier than you think. PEN 8. Washington , DC : Project on Emerging Nanotechnologies, Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars.
- 2003. Synthesis and manipulation of carbon nanotubes. New Journal of Physics 5(120): 1–22. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Unusual inflammatory and fibrogenic pulmonary responses to single-walled carbon nanotubes in mice. American Journal of Physiology—Lung Cellular and Molecular Physiology 289(5): 698–708. , , , , , , , et al. .
- 2006. The biocompatibility of carbon nanotubes. Carbon 44(6): 1034–1047. , , , and .
- SME (Society of Manufacturing Engineers). 2004. Nanomanufacturing tech group. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/B6TWD-4HMFJDX-2/1/5b5edbad185190d55cccfac29b1cf403. Accessed 11 August 2006.
- 2004. Nanotechnology & sustainability. In Discussion paper of the IOEW 65/04. Berlin , Germany : Institute for Ecological Economy Research. http://www.ioew.de/home/downloaddateien/DP6504.pdf. Accessed 9 July 2008. , , , and .
- 1999. The science and technology of carbon nanotubes. Tokyo : Elsevier. , , and .
- 2001. Controlled growth of single-walled carbon nanotubes by catalytic decomposition of CH4 over Mo/Co/MgO catalysts. Chemical Physics Letters 350(1–2): 19–26. , , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Carbon nanotube production: An economic and environmental assessment of alternative technologies. Master's thesis, Northeastern University , Boston .
- 1996. Exceptionally high Young's modulus observed for individual carbon nanotubes. Nature 381(6584): 678–680. , , and .
- 2006. Research strategies for safety evaluation of nanomaterials, Part IV: Risk assessment of nanoparticles. Toxicological Sciences 89(1): 42–50. , , , , , , and .
- 2004. What is nanotechnology? http://www.nanoscience.gatech.edu/zlwang/research.nano.html. Accessed 11 August 2006.
- 2005. What is currently known about the health risks related to carbon nanotube exposure? Carbon 44(6): 1064–1069.
- 2002. CVD synthesis and purification of single-walled carbon nanotubes on aerogel-supported catalyst. Applied Physics: A Materials Science & Processing 74(3): 345–348. , , and .