Improvements in Life Cycle Energy Efficiency and Greenhouse Gas Emissions of Corn-Ethanol
Article first published online: 21 JAN 2009
© 2009 by Yale University
Journal of Industrial Ecology
Volume 13, Issue 1, pages 58–74, February 2009
How to Cite
Liska, A. J., Yang, H. S., Bremer, V. R., Klopfenstein, T. J., Walters, D. T., Erickson, G. E. and Cassman, K. G. (2009), Improvements in Life Cycle Energy Efficiency and Greenhouse Gas Emissions of Corn-Ethanol. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 13: 58–74. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2008.00105.x
- Issue published online: 19 FEB 2009
- Article first published online: 21 JAN 2009
- 2007. Soil greenhouse gas fluxes and global warming potential in four high-yielding maize systems. Global Change Biology 13(9): 1972–1988. , , , , and .
- 2007.A low-carbon fuel standard for California, Part 1: Technical analysis. Berkeley : University of California, Berkeley. , , , , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2007. Tillage and soil carbon sequestration—What do we really know? Agriculture, Ecosystems, and Environment 118(1–4): 1–5. , , , and .
- 2008. No-tillage and soil-profile carbon sequestration: An on-farm assessment. Soil Science Society of America Journal 72(3): 693–701. and .
- 2007. Driving it home: Choosing the right path for fueling North America's transportation future. Drayton Valley , Alberta , Canada : Natural Resources Defense Council, Western Resources Advocates, Pembina Institute. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Food and fuel for all: Realistic or foolish? Biofuels, Bioproducts, and Biorefining 1(1): 18–23. and .
- 2002. Agroecosystems, N-use efficiency, and N management. AMBIO 31(2): 132–140. , , and .
- CTIC (Conservation Technology Information Center). 2004. Crop residue management survey. West Lafayette , IN : CTIC.
- 1999. Post-green-revolution trends in yield potential of temperate maize in the north-central United States. Crop Science 39(6): 1622–1630. and .
- 2007. The European Union Emissions Trading Scheme: Origins, allocation, and early results. Review of Environmental Economics and Policy 1(1): 66–87. and .
- EPA-EEA (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Energy and Environmental Analysis, Inc.) 2006. Baseline energy consumption estimates for natural gas and coal-based ethanol plants—the potential impact of combined heat and power (CHP). Washington , DC : Combined Heat and Power Partnership of the EPA.
- 2006. Ethanol can contribute to energy and environmental goals. Science 311(5760): 506–508. , , , , , and .
- IPCC. 2006. 2006 IPCC Guidelines for National Greenhouse Gas Inventories. Prepared by the National Greenhouse Gas Inventories Programme, , , and , Japan : IGES.
- 2007. Senate bill would provide billions for deploying cleaner technologies. Science 318(5857): 1708–1709.
- 2008. Board-invited review: Use of distillers byproducts in the beef cattle feeding industry. Journal of Animal Science 86(5): 1223–1231. , , and .
- 2006. Steps towards the development of a certification system for sustainable bio-energy trade. Biomass and Bioenergy 30(2): 83–104. and .
- 2008. Towards standardization of life-cycle metrics for biofuels: Greenhouse gas emissions mitigation and net energy yield. Journal of Biobased Materials and Bioenergy 2(3): 187–203. and .
- 2007. Personal communication with William McBride, Agricultural Economist, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, Washington D.C. , 16 November. .
- 2007. Capturing carbon opportunities. Ethanol Producer Magazine 13(July): 142.
- 2007. The ripple effect: Biofuels, food security, and the environment. Environment 49(9): 30–43. , , , , , , and .
- RFA (Renewable Fuels Association). 2008. Changing the climate: Ethanol industry outlook 2008. Washington , DC : RFA.
- 2008. Use of U.S. croplands for biofuels increases greenhouse gases through emissions from land-use change. Science 319(5867): 1238–1240. , , , , , , , , and .
- US Congress. 2007. Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007.
- USDA-ERS (U.S. Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service). 2001. Energy use on major field crops in surveyed states. Washington , DC : USDA-ERS.
- USDA-ERS. 2005. Agricultural resource management survey. Washington , DC : USDA-ERS.
- US EPA (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency). 2007. Inventory of U.S. Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Sinks: 1990–2005. Washington , D.C. : US EPA.
- 2005. Annual carbon dioxide exchange in irrigated and rainfed maize-based agroecosystems. Agricultural and Forestry Meteorology 131(1–2): 77–96. , , , , , , , , , , , , et al .
- 2007. Life-cycle energy and greenhouse gas emission impacts of different corn ethanol plant types. Environmental Research Letters 2(2): 024001. , , and .