Complexity and Industrial Ecology
Foundations for a Transformation From Analysis to Action
Article first published online: 23 APR 2009
© 2009 by Yale University
Journal of Industrial Ecology
Volume 13, Issue 2, pages 157–164, April 2009
How to Cite
Dijkema, G. P. J. and Basson, L. (2009), Complexity and Industrial Ecology. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 13: 157–164. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2009.00124.x
- Issue published online: 23 APR 2009
- Article first published online: 23 APR 2009
- 1999. Industrial ecology: Policy framework and implementation. Upper Saddle River , NJ : Prentice-Hall.
- 2009. The industrial ecology of emerging technologies: Complexity and the reconstruction of the world. Journal of Industrial Ecology doi: DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2009.00114.x
- 2000. Building a micro foundation for industrial ecology. Journal of Industrial Ecology 4(3): 35–51.
- 2009. Green niche market development: A model with heterogeneous agents. Journal of Industrial Ecology doi: DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2009.00111.x and .
- 1992. Systems engineering principles and practice. Arnold , MD : Skarpodd.
- 2009. The structure, function and evolution of regional industrial ecosystems. Journal of Industrial Ecology doi: DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2009.00111.x
- 2001. Agent-based modeling and industrial ecology. Journal of Industrial Ecology 5(4): 10–13. , , and .
- 2009. Fostering industrial symbiosis with agent-based simulation and participatory modeling. Journal of Industrial Ecology doi: DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2009.00115.x
- 2009. Complexity in urban development and management: historical overview and opportunities. Journal of Industrial Ecology doi: DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2009.00123.x
- 1987. The social construction of technological systems: New directions in the sociology and history of technology. Cambridge , MA : MIT Press. , , and .
- 2009. Integration of life cycle assessment and agent based modeling—toward informed decisions on evolving systems. Journal of Industrial Ecology doi: DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2009.00122.x , , and
- 2009. Exploring the synergy between industrial ecology and system of-systems to understand complexity: A case study in air transportation. Journal of Industrial Ecology doi: DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2009.00121.x and .
- 2007. Would industrial ecology exist without sustainability in the background? Journal of Industrial Ecology 11(1): 73–84.
- 2009. Understanding of complexity expands the reach of industrial ecology. Journal of Industrial Ecology doi: DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2009.00118.x
- 1997. Industrial ecology: An historical view. Journal of Cleaner Production 5(1-2): 1–10.
- 1995. The National System of Innovation in historical perspective. Cambridge Journal of Economics 19(1): 5–24.
- 1993. Implementing industrial ecology. Technology and Society Magazine, IEEE 12: 18–26. , , and .
- 2007. Functions of innovation systems: A new approach for analysing technological change. Technological Forecasting and Social Change 74(4): 413–432. , , , , and .
- 1986. The resilience of terrestrial ecosystems: Local surprise and global change. In Sustainable development of the biosphere, edited by W.Clark and R.Munn. Cambridge , UK : Cambridge University Press.
- 1993. The origins of order: Self-organization and selection in evolution. New York : Oxford University Press.
- 2002. On complexity theory, exergy and industrial ecology: Some implications for construction ecology. In Construction ecology: Nature as the basis for green buildings, edited by C.Kibert, J.Sendzimir, and B.Guy. London : Spon Press.
- 2000. Uncertainty, complexity, and ecological integrity: Insights from an ecosystem approach. In Implementing ecological integrity: Restoring regional and global environmental and human health, edited by P.Crabbé et al . Dordrecht , the Netherlands : Kluwer Academic. and .
- 2009. Design and analysis of bio-energy networks—a complex adaptive systems approach. Journal of Industrial Ecology doi: DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2009.00120.x , , and .
- 2006. Applying agent-based simulation in industrial ecology. Journal of Industrial Ecology 10(1-2): 15–18. and .
- Lundvall, B.-Å., ed. 1992. National innovation systems: Towards a theory of innovation and interactive learning. London : Pinter.
- 2003. The structure and function of complex networks. SIAM Review 45(2): 167–256.
- 2009. Shaping the evolution of sustainable large-scale socio-technical systems. In The dynamics of regions and networks in industrial ecosystems, edited by M.Ruth and B.Davidsdottir. Cheltenham , UIK : Edward Elgar. , and
- OECD (Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development). 1997. National innovation systems. Paris : OECD.
- 2009. Complexity and transition management. Journal of Industrial Ecology doi: DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2009.00116.x and .
- 2003. Beyond the food web: Connections to a deeper industrial ecology. Journal of Industrial Ecology 7(1): 17–23.
- 2009. Aggregate measures of complex economic structure and evolution—a review and case study. Journal of Industrial Ecology doi: DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2009.00113.x and .