A Classroom Simulation to Teach Economic Input−Output Life Cycle Assessment
Article first published online: 17 AUG 2009
© 2009 by Yale University
Journal of Industrial Ecology
Volume 13, Issue 4, pages 622–637, August 2009
How to Cite
Hawkins, T. R. and Matthews, D. H. (2009), A Classroom Simulation to Teach Economic Input−Output Life Cycle Assessment. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 13: 622–637. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2009.00148.x
- Issue published online: 27 AUG 2009
- Article first published online: 17 AUG 2009
- 2003. Analysing materials and energy flows in an industrial district using an enterprise input-output model. Economic Systems Research 15(4): 457–480. , , and .
- 2006. The hitchhiker's guide to LCA: An orientation in LCA methodology and application. Paris : Ecomed. , , and .
- Bureau of Economic Analysis 2002. 1997 Benchmark Input-Output Tables. Washington , DC : US Department of Commerce.
- Can Manufacturer's Institute. 2007. Can facts. http://www.cancentral.com/canc/nontext/l4w2.htm. Accessed November 2007.
- Eurostat. 2008. Manual of supply, use, and input-output tables. Luxembourg : European Commission.
- 2007. A mixed-unit input-output model for environmental life-cycle assessment and material flow analysis. Environmental Science & Technology 41(3): 1024–1031. , , , and .
- 1998. Economic input-output methods for environmental life-cycle assessment. Environmental Science & Technology 32(4): 184A–191A. , , , and .
- 2006. Environmental life-cycle assessment of goods and services: An input-output approach. Washington , DC : Resources for the Future. , , and .
- 1998. Steel vs. steel-reinforced concrete bridges: Environmental assessment. ASCE Journal of Infrastructure Systems 4(3): 111–117. and .
- ISO (International Organization for Standardization). 1998. Environmental management—Life cycle assessment—Goal and scope definition and inventory analysis 14041. Geneva , Switzerland : ISO.
- 2000. Product environmental life-cycle assessment using input-output techniques. Journal of Industrial Ecology 3(2−3): 95–120.
- 2001. Errors in conventional and input-output–based life-cycle inventories. Journal of Industrial Ecology 4(4): 127–148.
- 2003. Differential convergence of life-cycle inventories toward upstream production layers: Implications for life-cycle assessment. Journal of Industrial Ecology 6(3–4): 137–160. and .
- 2007. Shared producer and consumer responsibility: Theory and practice. Ecological Economics 61(1): 27–42. , , , and .
- 1970. Environmental repercussions and economic structure: Input-output approach. Review of Economics and Statistics 52(3): 262–271.
- 2005. Life cycle benefits of using nanotechnology to stabilize platinum-group metal particles in automotive catalysts. Environmental Science & Technology 39(5): 1384–1392. , , and .
- 1998. A life cycle model of an automobile: Resource use and environmental discharges in the production and use phases. Environmental Science & Technology 32(13): 322A–330A. and .
- 2005. Environmental effects of interstate power trading on electricity consumption mixes. Environmental Science & Technology 39(22): 8584–8590. and .
- 2002. The economic and environmental implications of centralized stock keeping. Journal of Industrial Ecology 6(2): 71–81. and .
- NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology). 2007. Building for environmental and economic sustainability (BEES) software. BEES Version 4.0. Gaithersburg , MD : Building and Fire Research Laboratory, NIST .
- NREL (National Renewable Energy Laboratory). 2008. U.S. life cycle inventory database. Version 1.6.0. Golden , CO : NREL.
- 2002. Economic input-output life-cycle assessment of U.S. residential buildings. ASCE Journal of Infrastructure Systems 8(4): 132–138. , , and .
- PE International. 2008. GaBi software. GaBi Version 4. Leinfelden-Echterdingen , Germany : PE International.
- 2006. The importance of imports for household environmental impacts. Journal of Industrial Ecology 10(3): 89–109. and .
- Pré Consultants. 2008. SimaPro software. SimaPro Version 7.1. Amersfoort , the Netherlands : PRé Consultants.
- 2007. Environmental implications of construction site energy use and electricity generation. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management 133(11): 846–854. , , and .
- 2004. System boundary selection in life-cycle inventories using hybrid approaches. Environmental Science & Technology 38(3): 657–663. , , , , , , , et al.
- Swiss Center for LCI (Swiss Center for Life Cycle Inventories). 2009. EcoInvent. Version 2.1. Dübendorf , Switzerland : Swiss Center for LCI.
- 2004. Three strategies to overcome the limitations of life-cycle assessment. Journal of Industrial Ecology 8(3): 19–32. , , , and .
- 2007. Quantifying the global and distributional aspects of American household environmental impact. Ecological Economics 66(2–3): 379–391. and .
- 2004. Energy intensity of computer manufacturing: Hybrid analysis combining process and economic input-output methods. Environmental Science & Technology 38(22): 6166–6174.