Utility of Substance Stock and Flow Studies
The Stockholm Example
Article first published online: 3 NOV 2009
© 2009 by Yale University
Journal of Industrial Ecology
Special Issue: Applications of Material Flow Analysis
Volume 13, Issue 5, pages 674–686, October 2009
How to Cite
Månsson, N., Bergbäck, B., Hjortenkrans, D., Jamtrot, A. and Sörme, L. (2009), Utility of Substance Stock and Flow Studies. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 13: 674–686. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2009.00178.x
- Issue published online: 1 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 3 NOV 2009
- 1978. Resources, environment, and economics: Applications of the materials/energy balance principle. New York : John Wiley & Sons.
- 2001. Urban metal flow - Review and conclusions. A case study of Stockholm. Water, Air and Soil Pollution: Focus 1(3–4): 3–24. , , and .
- 2008. Stockholm heading towards a non-toxic environment. Stockholm : Environment and Health Administration, Stockholm City and Stockholm Water Company. EO Grafiska. and .
- 2002. Anthropogenic metabolism and environmental legacies. In Encyclopedia of Global Environmental Change, Volume 3: Causes and Consequences of Global Environmental Change, edited by IanDouglas, pp. 54–72. Chichester , UK : John Wiley and Sons. and .
- 2004. Practical handbook of material flow analysis – Advanced methods in resource and waste management. Boca Raton , FL , USA : Lewis Publishers. , and .
- 2007. Reshaping urban metabolism. Journal of Industrial Ecology 11(2): 11–13.
- 1999. Materials accounting and environmental management in municipalities. Journal of Environmental Assessment Policy and Management 1(3): 297–327.
- COWI. 2008. Options for reducing mercury use in products and applications, and the fate of mercury already circulating in society. Performed for European Commission Directorate-General Environment Contract: ENV.G.2/ETU/2007/0021, FINAL REPORT, September 2008.
- 2007. Urban contaminant dynamics: From source to effect. Environmental Science and Technology 41(11): 3796–3805. and .
- EEB (European Environmental Bureau). 2007. Mercury in dental use: Environmental implications for the European Union. Concorde East/West Sprl for the European Environmental Bureau, May 2007.
- 2009. Personal communication with P. Ekblom, Senior Technical Advisor. Swedish Chemical Agency , Sundyberg , Sweden , May 2009.
- 2004. The environmental and economic consequences of the developments of lead stocks in the Dutch economic system. Resources, Conservation and Recycling 42(2): 133–154. , , , and .
- 2005. Dynamic stock modeling: A method for the identification and estimation of future waste streams and emissions based on past production and product stock characteristics. Energy 30(8): 1353–1363. , , , and .
- EU (European Union). 2000. Directive 2000/60/EC of the European Parliament and of the council of 23 October 2000 establishing a framework for Community action in the field of water policy. Official Journal L 327 p 1–72.
- EU. 2001. Decision No 2455/2001/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 20 November 2001 establishing the list of priority substances in the field of water policy and amending Directive 2000/60/EC (Text with EEA relevance). Official Journal L 331, p 1–5.
- EU. 2005. End-of-Life Vehicle directive (2000/53/EC). Official Journal L 269 p 34–43, L 170 p81, L 25 p73, L 152 p 19, L 254 p 69.
- 2008. In-use stocks of metals: Status and implications. Environmental Science and Technology 42(19): 7038–7045. and .
- 2007. Metal emissions from brake linings and tires: Case studies of Stockholm, Sweden 1995/1998 and 2005. Environmental Science and Technology 41(15): 5224–5230. , , and .
- 2002. Phasing out cadmium and lead – Emissions and sediment loads in an urban area. Science of the Total Environment 292(1–2): 91–100. , , and .
- 2008. Substance flow analyses of organic pollutants in Stockholm. Water, Air and Soil Pollution: Focus 8(5–6): 433–443. , , , and .
- KemI [Swedish Chemicals Agency]. 2004. Mercury - Investigation of a general ban. Report by the Swedish Chemicals Inspectorate in response to a commission from the Swedish Government. Report No 4/04. Solna , Sweden : KemI Swedish Chemicals Agency.
- KemI. 2007. Utredningen Bly i varor – Ett regeringsuppdrag. [Lead in goods – governmental investigation]. Solna , Sweden : KemI Swedish Chemical Agency.
- 2000. Dynamic substance flow analysis: The delaying mechanism of stocks, with the case of PVC in Sweden. Ecological Economics 32(2): 241–254. , and .
- 2007. The need for combining IEA and IE tools: The potential effects of a global ban on PVC on climate change. Ecological Economics 65(2): 266–281.
- 2002. Substance flow analysis for environmental management in local authorities – Method development and context. Dissertation No 741. Linköping Studies in Science and Technology .
- 2001. Heavy metals in vehicles II. Final report. Hamburg , Germany : Ökopol. , , and .
- 2009. Phasing out cadmium, lead and mercury: Effects on urban stocks and flows. Journal of Industrial Ecology 13(1): 94–111. , , and .
- 2008. Sources of alkylphenols and alkylphenol ethoxylates in wastewater – A substance flow analysis in Stockholm, Sweden. Water, Air and Soil Pollution: Focus 8(5–6): 445–456. , , , and .
- SEPA (Swedish Environmental Protection Agency). 1995. Metals in the Urban and Forest Environment – Ecocycles and Critical Loads. Research programme, Swedish Environmental Protection Agency Report 4435.
- SCB [Statistics Sweden]. 2000. En framtida nationell materialflödesstatistik. [A future national material flow statistic]. Report 2000:4. Stockholm : Statistics Sweden.
- 2001a. Century perspective of metal use in urban areas - A case study of Stockholm. Water, Air and Soil Pollution: Focus 1(3–4): 197–211. , , and .
- 2001b. Goods in the antroposphere as a metal emission source - A case study of Stockholm. Water, Air and Soil Pollution: Focus 1(3–4): 213–227. , , and .
- 2002. Sources of heavy metals in urban wastewater in Stockholm. Science of the Total Environment 298(1/2/3): 131–145. and .
- 2003. Urban heavy metals – Stocks and flows. Dissertation thesis. Department of Water and Environmental Studies, University of Linköping , Unitryck , Linköping .
- Stockholm City. 2001. Miljöutredning för Stockholms stad [Environmental review]. Available at: http://miljobarometern.stockholm.se/content/docs/mp/utredning.pdf. Accessed May 19 2009.
- Stockholm City. 2003. Stockholm's environmental programme. 2003-2006. Available at: http://www.miljobarometern.stockholm.se/content/pdf/mp/miljoprogram_eng.pdf. Accessed Nov 5 2008.
- Stockholm City. 2006. Environmental and health review 2006. Available at: http://www.miljobarometern.stockholm.se/content/pdf/mhu/miljohalsoutredning2006.pdf. Accessed Aug 19 2008.
- Stockholm City. 2008a. Environmental and health review 2008. Available at: http://www.miljobarometern.stockholm.se/content/pdf/mhu/miljohalsoutredning2008.pdf. Accessed Nov 4 2008.
- Stockholm City. 2008b. The Stockholm environmental programme 2008–2011 – Overarching goals and priorities. Available at: http://www.stockholm.se/miljoprogrammet. Accessed May 19 2009.
- 2001. Urban metabolism of mercury turnover, emissions and stock in Stockholm 1795–1995. Water, Air and Soil Pollution: Focus 1(3–4): 179–196. and .
- 2003. WFD Priority substances in sediments from Stockholm and the Svealand coastal region. IVL Report B1538. Swedish Environmental Research Institute. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Polycykliska aromatiska kolväten i stadsluftkällor. Spridning och betydelse för folkhälsan [Polyaromatic hydrocarbons in City air. Dispersal and effects to public health]. Master thesis. University of Stockholm. Department of Physical Geography and Quaternary Geology .
- Swedish Government. 2006. Sveriges Miljömål [Swedish environmental quality objectives] English Summary of the Government Bill 1997/98:145. http://www.regeringen.se/sb/d/108/a/20059. Accessed 13 June 2006.
- 2006. Risks to health and environment of the use of lead in products in the EU. Resources, Conservation and Recycling 49(2): 89–109. , , , and .
- 2002. Substance flow analysis methodology. In A handbook of industrial ecology edited by R. U.Ayres and L. W.Ayres. Cheltenham , UK : Edward Elgar Publishing Limited. .
- 2001. Metal emissions from Stockholm traffic - Wear of brake linings. SLB analysis. Report No. 3:2001. Stockholm : Environment and Health Administration.