Integrated Environmental Assessment of Supply-Side and Demand-Side Measures for Carbon Dioxide Mitigation in Tokyo, Japan
Article first published online: 29 OCT 2010
© 2010 by Yale University
Journal of Industrial Ecology
Special Issue: Environmental Applications of Information & Communication Technology
Volume 14, Issue 5, pages 808–825, October 2010
How to Cite
Kraines, S. B., Ishida, T. and Wallace, D. R. (2010), Integrated Environmental Assessment of Supply-Side and Demand-Side Measures for Carbon Dioxide Mitigation in Tokyo, Japan. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 14: 808–825. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2010.00237.x
- Issue published online: 29 OCT 2010
- Article first published online: 29 OCT 2010
- 1999. Modeling the urban ecosystem: A conceptual framework. Environment and Planning B 26(4): 605–630.
- 2008. Tachiiki saiteki denken keikaku moderu wo mochiita wa ga kuni denryoku bumon ni okeru CO2 sakugen shinario no kentou [Simulation analysis of CO2 reduction scenarios in Japan's electricity sector using multi-regional optimal generation planning model]. Journal of Japan Society of Energy and Resources 29(1): 1–7. and .
- 1997. The virtual ecology of industry. Journal of Industrial Ecology 1(1): 10–12.
- 1999. Environmentally conscious product design: A collaborative Internet-based modeling approach. Journal of Industrial Ecology 3(2−3): 33–46. and .
- 2006. Adding advanced behavioural models in whole building energy simulation: A study on the total energy input of manual and automated lighting control. Energy and Buildings 38(7): 814–823. , , and .
- 2006. Renewable energy resources: Their global potential for the first-half of the 21st century at a global level: An integrated approach. Energy Policy 35(4): 2590–2610. , , and .
- 2007. Personal communication with Y. Fujii, Professor, Department of Nuclear Engineering and Management, Graduate School of Engineering, University of Tokyo, Tokyo , Japan , 28 March.
- 2004. Scenarios of solid oxide fuel cell introduction into Japanese society. Journal of Power Sources 130(1–2): 327–339. , , , , and .
- 2005. An integrated macroeconomic model for assessing urban sustainability. Environment and Planning B 32(5): 639–656. and .
- 2007. Metrics of local environmental sustainability: A case study in Auckland, New Zealand. Local Environment 12(4): 355–378. , , and .
- 2000. SEPIA: A simulator for electric power industry agents. IEEE Control Systems Magazine 20: 53–69. , , , and .
- 2005. Potential of biomass energy out to 2100, for four IPCC SRES land-use scenarios. Biomass and Bioenergy 29(4): 225–257. , , , , and .
- 2005. Development of macro simulation method on household energy consumption and CO2 emission by each administrative division. AIJ Journal of Technology and Design 22: 263–268. , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Research on the decision model on capacity and operation of air conditioning systems of the commercial building considering regional weather conditions. IEEJ Transaction on EIS 125(10): 1522–1529. and .
- 2007. The relationship between adaptation and mitigation in managing climate change risks: A regional response from North Central Victoria, Australia. Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change 12(5): 685–712. , , , , and .
- 2004. Integrated model framework for the evaluation of an SOFC/GT system as a centralized power source. International Journal of Energy Research 28(1): 13–30. , , , , , and .
- 2010. A system for ontology-based sharing of expert knowledge in sustainability science. Submitted for publication to Data Science Journal. and .
- 2003. Sustainability technology evaluation in a regional context using distributed information technology. Computers, Environment and Urban Systems 27(2): 143–161. and .
- 2001. An integrated computational infrastructure for a virtual Tokyo: Concepts and examples. Journal of Industrial Ecology 5(1): 35–54. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Pollution and cost in the coke-making supply chain in Shanxi province, China: Applying an integrated system model to siting and transportation trade-offs. Journal of Industrial Ecology 6(3):161–184. , , , , and .
- 2003. An object-based tradeoff modeling framework for household waste processing. Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy 4(4): 204–216. , , and .
- 2004. Development of an Internet-based collaboration platform and application to household waste plastic processing. International Journal of Technology Transfer and Commercialisation 3(2): 129–146. , , , and .
- 2005a. A collaborative platform for sustainable building design based on model integration over the Internet. International Journal of Technology Transfer and Commercialisation 5(2 − 3): 135–161. , , , , , , and .
- 2005b. Internet-based collaboration for integrated environmental assessment in industrial ecology, Part 1. Journal of Industrial Ecology 9(3): 31–50. , , , , and .
- 2006. EKOSS: A knowledge-user centered approach to knowledge sharing, discovery, and integration on the Semantic Web. In ISWC2006 proceedings, LNCS 4273. Berlin : Springer. , , , and .
- 2001. A simulation-optimisation programme for designing hybrid energy systems for supplying electricity and fresh water through desalination to remote areas. Energy 26(7): 679–704. , , , and .
- 2007. The programmable Web: Agile, social, and grassroots computing. Paper presented at the First International Conference on Semantic Computing, 17–19 September, Irvine , CA . and .
- Millennium Development Goals Indicators. 2008. http://mdgs.un.org/unsd/mdg/Default.aspx. Accessed 14 March 2010.
- 2004. Energy sustainability through representative large-scale simulation: The logical and physical design of Xeona. Paper presented at the First International Conference on Sustainability Engineering and Science, 6–9 July, Auckland , New Zealand . , , and .
- 2007. Assessing the performance of sustainable technologies: A framework and its application. Building Research & Information 35(3): 237–251. , , and .
- OECD and IEA (Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development/International Energy Agency). 2005. Projected costs of generating electricity: 2005 update. http://www.iea.org/publications/free_new_Desc.asp?PUBS_ID=1472. Accessed 20 January 2010.
- 1998. Learning before doing: Simulation and modeling in industrial ecology. Journal of Industrial Ecology 2(4): 29–44.
- 2005. Developing sustainability criteria for urban infrastructure systems. Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering 32(1): 72–85. , , and .
- 2005. ILUTE: An operational prototype of a comprehensive microsimulation model of urban systems. Networks and Spatial Economics 5(2): 217–234. and .
- 2006. The potential role of hydrogen in energy systems with and without climate policy. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 32(12): 1655–1672. , , and .
- 2004. Responses to technology and taxes in a simulated world. Energy Economics 26(4): 579–601. , , , and .
- 2000. Design of multi-paradigm integrating modeling tools for ecological research. Environmental Modeling and Software 15(2): 169–177. and .
- 2002. UrbanSim: Modeling urban development for land use, transportation and environmental planning. Journal of the American Planning Association 68(3): 297–314.
- 2004. Introduction to urban simulation: Design and development of operational models. In Transport geography and spatial systems. Handbook in transport, Vol. 5, edited by P.Stopher et al. Oxford , UK : Pergamon Press. and .
- 2000. Integrated design in a service marketplace. Computer-Aided Design 32(2): 97–107. , , , and .
- 2004. A modularized framework for solving an economic-environmental power generation mix problem. International Journal of Energy Research 28(9): 769–784. , , , and .
- 2008. Personal communication with Y. Yoshida, Associate Professor, Department of Environment Systems, Graduate School of Frontier Sciences, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan, 13 November.