Information and Communication Technology for Industrial Symbiosis
Version of Record online: 7 OCT 2010
© 2010 by Yale University
Journal of Industrial Ecology
Special Issue: Environmental Applications of Information & Communication Technology
Volume 14, Issue 5, pages 740–753, October 2010
How to Cite
Grant, G. B., Seager, T. P., Massard, G. and Nies, L. (2010), Information and Communication Technology for Industrial Symbiosis. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 14: 740–753. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2010.00273.x
- Issue online: 29 OCT 2010
- Version of Record online: 7 OCT 2010
- 2000. Supporting trust in virtual communities. Paper presented at the 33rd Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, 4–7 January, Maui, Hawaii. and .
- 2004. Sector approach of the eco-industrial development. Paper presented at the International Sustainable Development Research Conference, Manchester , UK . and .
- 2001. Stretching the boundary: The possibilities of flexibility as an organizational capability in industrial ecology. Business Strategy and the Environment 10(2): 115–124.
- 1998. Virtual communities and social capital. Social Science Computer Review 16(3): 293–307. and .
- 1997. A prototype knowledge-based decision support system for industrial waste management: Part II. Application to a Trinidadian Industrial Estate case study. Waste Management 17(7): 411–428. and .
- 1997. The MatchMaker! system: Creating virtual eco-industrial parks. In Developing industrial ecosystems: Approaches, cases, and tools, edited by M.Chertow. New Haven, CT: Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies. , , and .
- 2000. Balancing act: How to capture knowledge without killing it. Harvard Business Review (May–June): 73–80. and .
- 2001. By-product synergy: A tool for sustainable greenhouse gas emissions. Austin , TX : Business Council for Sustainable Development–Gulf of Mexico. , , and .
- 2007. Uncovering industrial symbiosis. Journal of Industrial Ecology 11(1): 11–30.
- 2002. Enabling industrial symbiosis through a web-based waste exchange. Greener Management International (40): 93–106. , , and .
- 2010. Industrial ecology 2.0. Journal of Industrial Ecology DOI:10.1111/j.1530-9290.2010.00281.x , , and .
- 2004. Industrial symbiosis: The case for market coordination. Journal of Cleaner Production 12(8–10): 1099–1110.
- 2001. Social implications of the internet. Annual Review of Sociology 27: 307–336. , , , and .
- 2000. Materials flow through the community: Creating new resource opportunities. Pittsfield , MA : University of Massachusetts Chelsea Center for Recycling and Economic Development.
- 2000. Creating and managing a high-performance knowledge-sharing network: The Toyota case. Strategic Management Journal 21(3): 345–367. and .
- 1997. Industrial ecology in practice: The evolution of interdependence at Kalundborg. Journal of Industrial Ecology 1(1): 67–80. and .
- 2005. A knowledge-based system for the recycling of non-hazardous industrial residuals in civil engineering applications. Expert Systems 22(1): 1–11. , , , and .
- 2003. Trust and networking in inter-firm relations: The case of eco-industrial development. Local Economy 18(3): 222–236.
- 1996. Toward a knowledge-based theory of the firm. Strategic Management Journal 17(Winter): 109–122.
- 2001. The Internet in everyday life. American Behavioral Scientist 45(3): 363–382.
- 2001. Many rivers to cross: From ICT to knowledge management systems. Journal of Information Technology 16: 57–72.
- 2004. ICT enabled virtual collaboration through trust. Journal of Computer Mediated Communication 10(1). and .
- 2001. Days and nights on the Internet: The impact of a diffusing technology. American Behavioral Scientist 45(3): 23. , , and .
- 2006. IT to support knowledge sharing in communities, towards a social capital analysis. Journal of Information Technology 21(1): 40–41. and .
- Industrial Economics. 1998. Applying decision support tools for eco-industrial park planning—A case study in Burlington, Vermont. Cambridge , MA : Industrial Economics Inc., prepared for the U.S. EPA.
- 2001. Communicating trustworthiness and building trust in interorganizational virtual organizations. Journal of Management 27(3): 235–254. and .
- 1999. Industrial ecosystem development project report. Durham , NC : Triangle J Council of Governments.
- 2001. Industrial ecosystem development at the metropolitan level. Journal of Industrial Ecology 5(1): 117–126. and .
- 1992. Knowledge of the firm, combinative capabilities, and the replication of technology. Organization Science 3(3): 383–397. and .
- 2006. Methodology for building industrial symbiosis networks in the Geneva region, Switzerland. Paper presented at Frontiers in Research in Industrial Ecology, Scientific Workshop, Université de Lausanne, 27 November–1 December, Lausanne, Switzerland. , , and .
- 2009. A web-GIS tool for industrial symbiosis: Preliminary results and perspectives. Paper presented at the 23rd International Conference on Informatics and Environmental Protection, September 2–11, 2009, Berlin, Germany. , .
- 2000. Extending the boundaries of life-cycle assessment through environmental economic input-output models. Journal of Industrial Ecology 4(3): 7–10. and .
- 2004. Experiences from early stages of a national industrial symbiosis programme in the UK: Determinants and coordination challenges. Journal of Cleaner Production 12(8–10): 967–983.
- 2005. Industrial symbiosis networks and the contribution to environmental innovation: The case of the Landskrona Industrial Symbiosis Programme. Journal of Cleaner Production 13(10–11): 993–1002. and .
- National Industrial Symbiosis Program (NISP). 2006. CRISP—Core Resource for Industrial Symbiosis Practitioners. Birmingham , UK : NISP.
- 1998. A model for industrial water reuse: A GIS approach to industrial ecologythesis. Austin , TX : Bureau of Engineering Research, University of Texas.
- 2000. Using geographic information systems (GIS) in industrial water reuse modelling. Process Safety and Environmental Protection 78(B4): 295–303. and .
- 2000. Online communities: Designing usability, supporting sociability. Chichester , UK : John Wiley & Sons.
- 2000. The virtual community: Homesteading on the electronic frontier. Second edition. Cambridge , MA : The MIT Press.
- 2000. From know-how to show-how? Questioning the role of information and communication technologies in knowledge transfer. Technology Analysis & Strategic Management 12(4): 429–443.
- 2000. Demonstration of decision support tools for sustainable development—An application on alternative fuels in the greater Yellowstone-Teton region. INEEL/EXT-2000-01441. Idaho Falls , ID : Idaho National Engineering and Environmental Laboratory and Bechtel National Inc. , , , , and .
- 1998. Knowledge management solutions—The IT contribution. ACM SIGGROUP Bulletin 19(1): 34–39.
- 1999. Using intranet agents to capture tacit knowledge. Paper presented at WebNet 1999—World Conference on the WWW and Internet, 24–30 October, Honolulu, Hawaii.
- 2004. The industrial region as a promising unit for eco-industrial development—Reflections, practical experience and establishment of innovative instruments to support industrial ecology. Journal of Cleaner Production 12(8–10): 947–965. and .
- 2000. Limits of IT-driven knowledge management initiatives for interactive innovation processes: Towards a community-based approach. Paper presented at the 33rd Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, 4–7 January, Maui, Hawaii. , , and .
- 2007. Industrial symbiosis in the Australian minerals industry. Journal of Industrial Ecology 11(1): 55–72. , , , and .
- 2002. Industrial ecology in the cement industry. Battelle Commissioned by the World Business Council for Sustainable Development. , , , and .
- 1999. Networks in the global village: Life in contemporary communities. Boulder , CO : Westview Press.
- 1999. By-product synergy: A demonstration project—Tampico, Mexico. Austin , TX : Applied Sustainability LLC.