Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Operational Electricity Use in the ICT and Entertainment & Media Sectors
Version of Record online: 8 OCT 2010
© 2010 by Yale University
Journal of Industrial Ecology
Special Issue: Environmental Applications of Information & Communication Technology
Volume 14, Issue 5, pages 770–790, October 2010
How to Cite
Malmodin, J., Moberg, Å., Lundén, D., Finnveden, G. and Lövehagen, N. (2010), Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Operational Electricity Use in the ICT and Entertainment & Media Sectors. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 14: 770–790. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2010.00278.x
- Issue online: 29 OCT 2010
- Version of Record online: 8 OCT 2010
- 2007. Tvågradersmålet i sikte? Scenarier för det svenska energi- och transportsystemet till år 2050. Report 5754. Stockholm : Swedish EPA. , , , and .
- Anonymous. 2009a. Cisco White Paper: Visual Networking Index, Forecast and Methodology, 2008–2013 San Jose , CA : Cisco.
- Anonymous. 2009b. Cisco White Paper: Approaching the Zettabyte Era. C11-481374-01 09/08. San Jose , CA : Cisco.
- British Broadcasting Company. 2007. Compact disc hits 25th birthday, Friday, 17 August 2007. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6950845.stm. Accessed September 2009.
- 2008. Life cycle assessment of a mobile phone—A model on manufacturing, using and recycling. MSc thesis, Ericsson Research and Uppsala University , Uppsala , Sweden . ISSN: 14-5773, UPTEC Q08014.
- 2004. De-materialising and re-materialising: Digital technologies and the environment. Futures 36: 903–920. and .
- 2006. The digital economy fact book. Ninth edition. Washington , DC : Progress and Freedom Foundation. and .
- 2008. Identifying and assessing the opportunities to reduce the first billion tonnes of CO2. The potential global CO2 reductions from ICT use. Solna: World Wide Fund for nature. .
- 2006. Life cycle assessment of a personal computer and its effective recycling rate. International Journal of LCA 11(2): 122–128. , , , and .
- CIA (Computer Industry Almanac Inc.). 2009. PCs in-use reached nearly 1.2B in 2008 USA accounts for over 22% of PCs in-use http://www.c-i-a.com/pr0109.htm. Accessed September 2009.
- Confederation of European Paper Industries. 2008. Key statistics 2008. European pulp and paper industry. Brussels : Confederation of European Paper Industries.
- 2009. Personal communication with A. Crèvecoeur, Statistics & Competitiveness Assistant, Confederation of European Paper Industries, Brussels, Belgium, 9 and 18 June 2009.
- Display Search. 2008. Quarterly desktop monitor shipment and forecast report Q2 2008. http://www.displaysearch.com/cps/rde/xchg/displaysearch/hs.xsl/quarterly_desktop_monitor_shipment_and_forecast_report.asp. Accessed September 2009.
- A faltering format. 2009. The Economist July, 21–10. http://www.Economist.com. Accessed September 2009.
- 2007: Environmental assessment of Swedish agriculture. Ecological Economics 60: 550–563. , , and .
- 2006. Developing tools for sustainability management in the graphic arts industry. PhD thesis, KTH Royal Institute of Technology , Stockholm , Sweden .
- 2009. Environmental impact of printed and electronic teaching aids, a screening study focusing on fossil carbon dioxide emission. In Advances in printing science and technology, Proceedings of the 36th International Research Conference of iarigai, Vol. 36. Darmstadt : IARIGAI .
- 2004. The future impact of ICTs on environmental sustainability. Technical Report EUR 21384 EN. Seville , Spain : European Commission, Joint Research Centre, Institute for Prospective Technological Studies. , , , and .
- 2009 The digital economy fact book. Tenth edition. Washington , DC : Progress and Freedom Foundation. , , and .
- 1996. Ökoinventare von Energiesystemen. Grundlagen für den ökologischen Vergleich von Energiesystemen und den Einbezug von Energiesystemen in Ökobilanzen für die Schweiz. Auflage No. 3, Gruppe Energie–Stoffe–Umwelt (ESU), Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule Zürich und Sektion Ganzheitliche Systemanalysen, Paul Scherrer Institut, Villigen, Bundesamt für Energie (Hrsg.), Bern. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2003. Digital versus print. Energy performance in the selection and use of scholarly journals. Journal of Industrial Ecology 6(2): 115–132. and .
- Gartner. 2005. Gartner Data Quest. http://www.gartner.com/it/products/research/dataquest.jsp. Accessed September 2009.
- Gartner. 2007. Green IT: The new industry shockwave. Paper presented at the Symposium/ITXPO Conference, April 2007, San Diego, CA.
- Global eSustainability Initiative. 2008. Smart 2020: Enabling the low carbon economy in the information age. A report by The Climate Group on behalf of the Global eSustainability Initiative. Available at http://www.smart2020.org/publications/. Accessed 17 September 2010.
- 2009. Climate change and aviation, issues, challenges and solutions. London: Earthscan. and .
- 2009. 2009 Consumer Electronics Sales To Exceed $700 Billion, 2.5 Billion Products(video). http://Techpulse360.com/2009/01/12. Accessed September 2009.
- 2009. World greenhouse gas emissions in 2005. World Resource Institute Working Paper. http://www.wri.org/publication/navigating-the-numbers. Accessed September 2009.
- 2006. The relevance of information and communication technologies for environmental sustainability A prospective simulation study. Environmental Modelling and Software 21: 1618–1629. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Life cycle inventories of packagings & graphical papers. Ecoinvent Report No. 11. Data as implemented in SimaPro 7.1.8. Dübendorf , Switzerland : Swiss Centre for Life Cycle Inventories.
- 2007. Life cycle inventories of electric and electronic equipment: Production, use and disposal. Ecoinvent Report No. 18. Dübendorf , Switzerland : Empa/Technology & Society Lab, Swiss Centre for Life Cycle Inventories. , , , and .
- 2001. Environmental impact: A comparison between print and electronic media. Paper presented at the 3rd Ecopapertech Conference, 4–8 June, Helsinki, Finland. and .
- IBM. 2007. IBM investor briefing. Original source: IDC, Virtualization 2.0: The next phase in customer adoption. Doc #204904, December 2006, New York, USA.
- IDC (International Data Corporation). 2008. Worldwide quarterly hardcopy peripherals tracker Q2 2008. http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=IDC_P4437. Accessed September 2009.
- IFA (Consumer Electronics Unlimited exhibition in Berlin). 2008. Information presented at IFA International Press Conference, September 2008, Berlin.
- International Energy Agency. 2008. Key world energy statistics 2008. Paris : International Energy Agency.
- IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change). 2007. Mitigation of climate change. IPCC Fourth Assessment Report. Working Group III, Geneva, Switzerland.
- IVF (IVF Industrial Research and Development Corporation). 2007. Lot 3. Personal computers (desktops and laptops) and computer monitors. Final Report (Task 1–8). IVF Report 07004. ISSN 1404-191X. Mölndal: IVF Industrial Research and Development Corporation .
- 2007a. Estimating total power consumption by servers in the U.S. and the world. Stanford , CA : Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and Stanford University.
- 2007b. Estimating regional power consumption by servers: A technical note. Stanford , CA : Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and Stanford University.
- 2003. Printed scholarly books and e-book reading devices: A comparative life cycle assessment of two book options. Report No. CSS03-04. Ann Arbor , MI : Center for Sustainable Systems, University of Michigan.
- 2006. Ecolabelling of printed matter part II—Life cycle assessment of model sheet fed offset printed matter. Working Report No. 24. Copenhagen : Danish Ministry of the Environment, Environmental Protection Agency. , , and .
- 2003. Media technology outlook. In Advances in Printing Science and Technology, Proceedings of the 30th International Research Conference of iariagi, Dubrovnik-Cavtat, Croatia, Vol. 30, pp. 11–24. , , and .
- 2007. The importance of energy in LCA for the ICT sector. Paper presented at the SETAC Europe 14th LCA Case Study Symposium, 3–4 December, Gothenburg.
- 2008. Carbon footprint of mobile communications and ICT. In Proceedings of Joint International Congress and Exhibition Electronics Goes Green 2008+, Merging Technology and Sustainable Development, Stuttgart: Fraunhofer IRB Verlag.
- 2010. Assessment of media and communication from a sustainability perspective. PhD thesis, KTH Royal Institute of Technology , Stockholm .
- 2010. Printed and tablet e-paper newspaper from an environmental perspective—A screening life cycle assessment. Environmental Impact Assessment Review 30(3): 177–191. doi: 10.1016/j.eiar.2009.07.001. , , , and .
- MZA Consultants. 2008. Cordless Phone Analysis and Insight. http://www.mzaconsultants.com/cordlesstelephones.htm. Accessed September 2009.
- Network Operators’ Association and World Wildlife Fund. 2006. Saving the climate@the speed of light. Solna , Sweden : World Wildlife Fund. Network Operators’ Association and World Wildlife Fund. Available at http://www.etno.be/.
- Nordicom-Sverige. 2009. Nordicom-Sveriges Mediebarometer 2008. Gothenburg , Sweden : Nordicom-Sverige, Gothenburg University.
- Point-topic. 2008. Global broadband subscribers. http://point-topic.com. Accessed September 2009.
- PWC (PriceWaterhouseCoopers). 2006. PriceWaterhouseCoopers Global Entertainment and Media Outlook (annual market report). New York : PriceWaterhouseCoopers.
- 2003. The environmental impact of getting the news. A comparison of on-line, television, and newspaper information delivery. Journal of Industrial Ecology 6(3–4): 185–200. , and .
- Research and Markets. 2008. Global home networking and broadband CPE outlooks through 2012. http://www.researchandmarkets.com/reports/649511. Accessed September 2009.
- Research in China. 2009. http://www.researchinchina.com/Htmls/Report/2009/5722.html. Accessed September 2009.
- 2002. Energy consumption by office and telecommunications equipment in commercial buildings—Volume I: Energy consumption baseline. Boston , MA : Arthur D. Little, Inc. , , and .
- 2007. Energy consumption by consumer electronics in U.S. residences. Lexington , SC : TIAX LLC. and .
- 2008. Life cycle assessment in the telecommunication industry: A review. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 13(1): 75–86.
- 2002. The Finnish metals industry and the environment. Resources, Conservation and Recycling 35: 61–76. , , , and .
- 2007. Drivers of change in media channels. Ifra report no. 10.2007. Darmstadt , Germany : Ifra. , , and .
- 2004. Environmental implications of wireless technologies: News delivery and business meetings. Policy Analysis 38(11): 2961–2970. and .
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. 2007. Report to Congress on server and data center energy efficiency. Public Law 109–431. EPA ENERGY STAR Program. http://www.energystar.gov. Accessed September 2009.
- Vattenfall. 2005. Life-cycle assessment, Vattenfall's electricity in Sweden. Stockholm: Vattenfall.
- 2009. The energy and climate change impacts of different music delivery methods. Stanford , CA : Carnegie Mellon University, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and Stanford University. , , and .
- 2003. The evaluation of the amount of CO2 emission concerned with information delivery—Case studies for net-delivered type news paper. Paper presented at the SETAC/ISIE/Swiss Discussion Forum, 3–4 December, Lausanne , Switzerland . , , , , , and .
- 2009. End-use metering campaign in 400 households in Sweden. Assessment of the potential of electricity savings. Enertech. Eskilstuna: Swedish Energy Agency. .