Enhancing Electricity Audits in Residential Buildings with Nonintrusive Load Monitoring
Version of Record online: 29 OCT 2010
© 2010 by Yale University
Journal of Industrial Ecology
Special Issue: Environmental Applications of Information & Communication Technology
Volume 14, Issue 5, pages 844–858, October 2010
How to Cite
Berges, M. E., Goldman, E., Matthews, H. S. and Soibelman, L. (2010), Enhancing Electricity Audits in Residential Buildings with Nonintrusive Load Monitoring. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 14: 844–858. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2010.00280.x
- Issue online: 29 OCT 2010
- Version of Record online: 29 OCT 2010
- AlertMe.com Ltd. 2009. AlertMe—Smart energy and monitoring solutions. http://www.alertme.com. Accessed December 2009.
- 2010. Evaluating the electric consumption of residential buildings: Current practices and future prospects. Reston, VA: ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineers). , , , and .
- 2009. Learning systems for electric consumption of buildings. Reston , VA : ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineers). , , , and .
- Blue Line Innovations. 2009. The Powercost Monitor. http://www.bluelineinnovations.com/powercostmonitor.php. Accessed December 2009.
- 2000. Monitoring refrigerator energy usage. Home Energy Magazine 17: 32–36. and .
- 2008. Integrating new and emerging technologies into the California smart grid infrastructure. Sacramento , CA : Electric Power Research Institute. , , , and .
- A field-based approach to non-intrusive load monitoring. Boston : Massachusetts Institute of Technology. 2004.
- 2006. Transient event detection for nonintrusive load monitoring and demand side management using voltage distortion. Paper presented at Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition, 2006, 19–23 March. , , , and .
- 2006. The effectiveness of feedback on energy consumption. Oxford , UK : Environmental Change Institute, University of Oxford.
- Electric Power Research Institute. 1997. Low-cost NIALMS technology: Market issues & product assessment. Palo Alto , CA : Electric Power Research Institute.
- Electric Power Research Institute. 2009. Residential electricity use feedback: A research synthesis and economic framework. Palo Alto , CA : Electric Power Research Institute.
- Electronic Educational Devices. 2009. Watts up? PRO. http://www.wattsupmeters.com. Accessed December 2009.
- Energy, Inc. 2009. The Energy Detective. http://www.thenergydetective.com. Accessed December 2009.
- Energy Information Administration. 2001. End-use consumption of electricity by end use and appliance. Washington , DC : Energy Information Administration.
- Energy Information Administration. 2005. Residential energy consumption survey. Washington , DC : Energy Information Administration.
- Energy Information Administration. 2008. Annual energy review. Washington , DC : Energy Information Administration.
- Enetics, Inc. 2009. Enetics advanced metering and analyzers. http://www.enetics.com. Accessed December 2009.
- 1999. Using a pattern recognition approach to disaggregate the total electricity consumption in a house into the major end-uses. Energy and Buildings 30: 245–259. and .
- 2008. Feedback on household electricity consumption: A tool for saving energy? Energy Efficiency 1: 79–104.
- 2009. Preliminary findings from an analysis of building energy information system technologies. Berkeley , CA : Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. , , , and .
- 1989. Residential energy monitoring and computerized surveillance via utility power flows. IEEE Technology and Society Magazine 8: 12–16.
- 1992. Nonintrusive appliance load monitoring. Proceedings of the IEEE 80: 1870–1891.
- 1985. Do consumers know “what works” in energy conservation? Marriage and Family Review 9: 115–133. , , , and .
- 2003. Power signature analysis. IEEE Power and Energy Magazine 1: 56–63. , , , , , , and .
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. 2009. All publications. Demand Response Research Center. http://drrc.lbl.gov/drrc-pubsall.html. Accessed December 2009.
- 1996. Transient event detector for use in nonintrusive load monitoring systems. U.S. Patent 5483153, January 9, 1996. and .
- 2002. Monitoring HVAC equipment electrical loads from a centralized location—Methods and field test results. ASHRAE Transactions 108: 841–857. , , , and .
- 2008. Automatically disaggregating the total electrical load in residential buildings: A profile of the required solution. Intelligent Computing in Engineering (ICE08) Proceedings 381–389. , , , and .
- 2003. Case studies of energy information systems and related technology: Operational practices, costs, and benefits. Berkeley, CA: Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. , , , and .
- P3 International, Kill A Watt. 2009. http://www.p3international.com. Accessed December 2009.
- 2006. How much energy are we using? Potential of residential energy demand feedback devices. Paper presented at Proceedings of the 2006 Summer Study on Energy Efficiency in Buildings, 13–18 August, Pacific Grove , CA . , , , and .
- Powerkuff LLC. 2009. Powerkuff Monitor Systems and Wire Wrap. http://www.powerkuff.com. Accessed December 2009.
- 2006. FireFly: A time synchronized real-time sensor networking platform. In Wireless ad hoc networking: Personal-area, local-area, and the sensory-area networks. Boca Raton , FL : CRC Press. , , and .
- 2008. Nonintrusive load monitoring and diagnostics in power systems. IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement 57: 1445–1454. , , , and .
- 2003. Handbook of energy audits. Sixth edition. Lilburn , GA : Fairmont Press. and .