Industrial Ecology 2.0
Version of Record online: 8 OCT 2010
© 2010 by Yale University
Journal of Industrial Ecology
Special Issue: Environmental Applications of Information & Communication Technology
Volume 14, Issue 5, pages 707–726, October 2010
How to Cite
Davis, C., Nikolic, I. and Dijkema, G. P.J. (2010), Industrial Ecology 2.0. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 14: 707–726. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2010.00281.x
- Issue online: 29 OCT 2010
- Version of Record online: 8 OCT 2010
- A special report on managing information: Data, data everywhere. 2010. The Economist 394(8671; special section): 3–5.
- 2006. The ontologies of industrial ecology? Progress in Industrial Ecology, An International Journal 3(1/2): 28–40.
- 2007. From human to transhuman: Technology and the reconstruction of the world. http://www.asu.edu/clas/lincolncenter/documents/hottopics_HumanToTranshuman.pdf. Accessed June 2010.
- AMEE (Avoid Mass Extinctions Engine). 2010. What we do. http://www.amee.com/what-we-do/. Accessed June 2010.
- 2008. A Semantic Web primer. In Cooperative information systems. Second edition. Cambridge , MA : MIT Press. and .
- 2009. The nature of technology. New York : Free Press.
- 2006. The origin of wealth: Evolution, complexity, and the radical remaking of economics. Boston : Harvard Business School Press.
- 2008. Bio2RDF: Towards a mashup to build bioinformatics knowledge systems. Journal of Biomedical Informatics 41(5): 706–716. , , , , and .
- 2009. Tim Berners-Lee on the next web. http://www.ted.com/talks/tim_berners_lee_on_the_next_web.html. Accessed June 2010.
- 2001. The Semantic Web. Scientific American 284(5): 28–37. , , and .
- 2010. Biofuel companies attack algae study. http://greeninc.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/26/biofuel-companies-attack-algae-study/. Accessed June 2010.
- 2007. DBpedia—Querying Wikipedia like a database. Paper presented at 16th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW2007), 8–12 May, Banff , Canada . , , , and .
- 2009. DBpedia—A crystallization point for the web of data. Journal of Web Semantics 7(3): 154–165. , , , , , , and .
- 1988. The media lab: Inventing the future at MIT. New York : Penguin Books.
- 1945. As we may think. Atlantic Monthly 176(1): 101–108.
- 2010. AMEE secures $5.5m to go global with realtime carbon monitoring. http://eu.techcrunch.com/2010/02/08/amee-secures-5-5m-to-go-global-with-realtime-carbon-monitoring/. Accessed June 2010.
- 2007. ICT for environment in life cycle applications openLCA—A new open source software for life cycle assessment. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 12(4): 209–210.
- 2009. UNEP/SETAC database registry: Current status, expected outcomes, timeline. Technical report, Life Cycle Initiative . http://lcadata.org:8080/c/document_library/get_file?p_l_id=12363&folderId=12452&name=DLFE-102.pdf
- M. 2010. Environmental life cycle comparison of algae to other bioenergy feedstocks. Environmental Science & Technology 44(5): 1813–1819. , , , and .
- 2000. Information wants to be free. http://www.rogerclarke.com/II/IWtbF.html. Accessed June 2010.
- Community cleverness required. 2008. Nature 455(7209): 1.
- 2006. Summary of global life cycle inventory data resources. Task Force 1: Database Registry SETAC/UNEP Life Cycle Initiative. http://www.epa.gov/NRMRL/lcaccess/pdfs/summary_of_global_lci_data_resources.pdf. Accessed August 2010. , , , and .
- 2009. About the linking open data dataset cloud. http://richard.cyganiak.de/2007/10/lod/. Accessed June 2010.
- 2008. The RNA WikiProject: Community annotation of RNA families. RNA 14(12): 2462. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Data mining OpenEI.org, the US Department of Energy's semantic wiki. http://chrisdavis.weblog.tudelft.nl/2010/06/12/data-mining-the-us-department-of-energy. Accessed June 2010.
- 2009. Complexity and industrial ecology: Foundations for a transformation from analysis to action. Journal of Industrial Ecology 13(2): 157–164. and .
- 2001. Corporate strategy and product-oriented environmental policy. In Proceedings 6th World Congress of Chemical Engineering. Melbourne , Australia : 6th World Congress of Chemical Engineering. CD-ROM paper 642. and .
- 2010. Data-gov wiki: Towards linking government data. In Proceedings of the 2010 AAAI Spring Symposium on Linked Data Meets Artificial Intelligence. Menlo Park , CA : Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence. , , , , , , and .
- 2004. An introduction to FOAF. http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2004/02/04/foaf.html. Accessed June 2010.
- 2008. We the curators. Nature Methods 5(9): 754–755.
- EcoInvent Centre. 2009. EcoSpold data format. http://www.ecoinvent.org/database/ecospold-data-format/. Accessed June 2010.
- 2004. Can industrial ecology be the “science of sustainability”? Journal of Industrial Ecology 8(1–2): 1–3.
- 2007. Would industrial ecology exist without sustainability in the background? Journal of Industrial Ecology 11(1): 73–84.
- 1998. Society's metabolism: The intellectual history of materials flow analysis, part 1: 1860–1970. Journal of Industrial Ecology 2(1): 61–78.
- 2007. Socioecological transitions and global change: Trajectories of social metabolism and land use. Cheltenham , UK : Edward Elgar Publishing. and .
- 1969. Operating manual for spaceship earth. New York : Simon and Schuster.
- 1993. Telecosm: Metcalfe's law and legacy. Forbes ASAP 152: 158–166.
- 2005. Internet encyclopaedias go head to head. Nature 438(7070): 900–901.
- 1994. Industrial ecology: Definition and implementation. In Industrial ecology and global change, edited by R.Socolow et al . Cambridge , UK : Cambridge University Press.
- 2010. The challenge of life-cycle analysis in a world of rapid innovation. http://www.cleanbreak.ca/2010/01/29/the-challenge-of-life-cycle-analysis-in-a-world-of-rapid-innovation/. Accessed June 2010.
- 2009. Linked data—Connect distributed data across the web. http://linkeddata.org/. Accessed June 2010.
- 2008. State of the Semantic Web. Presented at 2008 Semantic Technology Conference, 22 May, San Jose , CA .
- 2009. W3C Semantic Web activity. http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/. Accessed June 2010.
- 2007. ISIE—An offline community? ISIE News 7(2): 9.
- 2008. SKOS simple knowledge organization system primer. http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-skos-primer-20080829/. Accessed June 2010. and .
- 2005. Vehicle-to-grid power fundamentals: Calculating capacity and net revenue. Journal of Power Sources 144(1): 268–279. and .
- 2004. Resource description framework (RDF): Concepts and abstract syntax. W3C recommendation . http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-rdf-concepts-20040210/. Accessed August 2010. , , and .
- 2006. Internet-based integrated environmental assessment, part II: Semantic searching based on ontologies and agent systems for knowledge discovery. Journal of Industrial Ecology 10(4): 37–60. , , , , and .
- 2005. Internet-based integrated environmental assessment: Using ontologies to share computational models. Journal of Industrial Ecology 9(3): 31–50. , , , , and .
- 2008. The global sociometabolic transition. Journal of Industrial Ecology 12(5–6): 637–656. , , , and .
- 2002. Where has all the copper gone: The stocks and flows project, part 1. JOM Journal of the Minerals, Metals and Materials Society 54(10): 21–26. , , , , and .
- 2003. Which Semantic Web? In Proceedings of the fourteenth ACM [Association for Computing Machinery] conference on Hypertext and hypermedia, Nottingham , UK : ACM. and .
- 2000. Extending the boundaries of life-cycle assessment through environmental economic input-output models. Journal of Industrial Ecology 4(3): 7–10. and .
- 2001. The emergence of complexity: Science coming of age or science growing old? Computers and Chemistry 25(4): 341–348.
- 2009. Twitter is a player in Iran's drama. The Washington Post . http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/16/AR2009061603391.html. Accessed August 2010.
- 2009. Sourcemap.org: Helping to transform the materials economy. http://www.thenewgreeneconomy.com/business/342-sourcemaporg-helping-to-transform-the-materials-economy-. Accessed June 2010.
- 2009. Co-evolutionary method for modelling large scale socio-technical systems evolution. PhD thesis, Delft , The Netherlands : Delft University of Technology. http://wiki.tudelft.nl/pub/Main/IgorNikolic/PhDThesisIgorNikolic.pdf.
- Self organization in wikis. In Inverse Infrastructures: New phenomena in emerging infrastructures. Cheltenham , UK : Edward Elgar Publishing. and . Forthcoming.
- 2004. The architecture of participation. O’Reilly Media. http://oreilly.com/pub/a/oreilly/tim/articles/architecture_of_participation.html. Accessed August 2010.
- 2008. WikiPathways: Pathway editing for the people. PLoS Biology. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pbio.0060184. , , , , , and .
- 2008. SPARQL query language for RDF. http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-sparql-query. Accessed June 2010. and .
- 2001. The cathedral and the bazaar: Musings on Linux and open source by an accidental revolutionary. Sebastopol , CA : O’Reilly & Associates, Inc.
- 2008. What is a systems approach? Arxiv preprint arXiv:0809.1698 . http://arxiv.org/abs/0809.1698.
- 1997. Economics of life cycle assessment: Inefficiency of the present approach. Business Strategy and the Environment 6(1): 1–8.
- 2008. Here comes everybody. Paper presented at Web 2.0 Expo, 22–25 April, San Francisco , CA , USA .
- 2004. Materials and energy flows in industry and ecosystem networks. PhD thesis, Leiden University , Leiden , The Netherlands .
- Sustainable Europe Research Institute. 2010. http://www.materialflows.net. Accessed June 2010.
- 1988. C. West Churchman-75 years. Systemic Practice and Action Research 1(4): 341–350.
- U.S. Department of Energy. 2009. DOE launches new website to bring energy technology information to the public. http://energy.gov/news2009/8381.htm. Accessed June 2010.
- 2008. Big Data: Wikiomics. Nature 455(7209): 5–22.
- 2010. Eco-Industrial Wiki-Platform: Increasing efficiency in research through collaboration. Paper presented at the 3rd International Conference on Eco-Efficiency, 9–11 June, Egmond aan Zee , The Netherlands . and .