Design Space Characterization for Meeting Cost and Carbon Reduction Goals
Smart Irrigation Controllers in the Southwestern United States
Version of Record online: 12 OCT 2010
© 2010 by Yale University
Journal of Industrial Ecology
Special Issue: Environmental Applications of Information & Communication Technology
Volume 14, Issue 5, pages 727–739, October 2010
How to Cite
Mutchek, M. A. and Williams, E. D. (2010), Design Space Characterization for Meeting Cost and Carbon Reduction Goals. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 14: 727–739. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2010.00282.x
- Issue online: 29 OCT 2010
- Version of Record online: 12 OCT 2010
- 1991. Design for environment: A tool whose time has come. Semiconductor Safety Association Journal September: 5–9.
- 2000. Implementing industrial ecology: The AT&T matrix system. Interfaces 30(3): 42–54.
- 1999. Life cycle assessment and multiobjective optimisation. Journal of Cleaner Production 7(2):135–143(9). and .
- August 2004. Energy down the drain: The hidden costs of California's water supply. New York : Natural Resources Defense Council. , , and .
- 2009. Rule 1: No watts no water; Rule 2: No water no watts. Paper presented at the 24th Annual WasteReuse Symposium: Where Has All the Water Gone? Water Reuse and Desalinization: Solutions for the Future, 13–16 September, Seattle , WA . and .
- 2008. Residential water savings associated with satellite-based ET irrigation controllers. Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering 134(1): 74–82. , , and .
- Frisco Public Works. 2010. About smart controller technology. http://www.ci.frisco.tx.us/departments/publicworks/water/smartcontroller/Pages/AboutSmartControllers.aspx. Accessed 10 February 2010.
- 2009. HydroSense: Infrastructure-mediated single-point sensing of whole-home water activity. Paper presented at UbiCom, 30 September to 3 October, Orlando , Florida . , , , , , and .
- 2007. The future is drying up. The New York Times. 21 October. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/21/magazine/21water-t.html. Accessed 13 May 2010.
- 2003. Industrial ecology. Upper Saddle River , NJ : Prentice Hall. and .
- 2008. Collaborating on water/power efficiency programs. http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partners/downloads/meetings/water_SaltRiverProject.pdf. Accessed 22 April 2010. and .
- 2006. Smart water metering. Water 33(3): 38–41. and .
- 1994. Design for product retirement and material life cycle. Materials and Design 15(4): 225–233. , , and .
- 2009. Estimated use of water in the United States in 2005. In U.S. Geological Survey Circular 1344. Reston , VA : U.S. Geological Survey. , , , , , and .
- 1993. The application of life cycle assessment to design. Journal of Cleaner Production 1(3–4): 143–149.
- 2009. Evaluation of California weather-based “smart” irrigation controller programs. Boulder , CO : Aquacraft, Inc. , , , and .
- 2004. A study of fuel efficiency and emission policy impacts on optimal vehicle design decisions. Transactions of the ASME 126: 1062–1070. , , and .
- 1986. Cadillac desert: The American West and its disappearing water. New York : Viking.
- U.S. Bureau of Reclamation. 2004. Weather based technologies for residential irrigation scheduling. Reclamation: Managing Water in the West May. http://www.usbr.gov/waterconservation/docs/ET%20controller%20report.pdf. Accessed 12 August 2010.
- U.S. Bureau of Reclamation. 2007. Weather and soil moisture based landscape irrigation scheduling devices. Reclamation: Managing Water in the West August. http://www.usbr.gov/waterconservation/docs/SmartController.pdf. Accessed 12 August 2010.
- U.S. Bureau of Reclamation. 2008. Summary of smart controller water savings studies. Reclamation: Managing Water in the West April. Final technical memorandum No. 86-68210-SCAO-01. http://www.usbr.gov/waterconservation/docs/WaterSavingsRpt.pdf. Accessed 12 August 2010.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. 2004. How we use water in these United States. http://www.epa.gov/watrhome/you/chap1.html. Accessed 1 January 2004.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. 2010. Methodology and assumptions for estimating WaterSense annual accomplishments. http://www.epa.gov/watersense/docs/methodology_and_assumptions_formatted_508.pdf. Accessed 15 July 2010.