Methodology and Indicators of Economy-wide Material Flow Accounting
State of the Art and Reliability Across Sources
Article first published online: 31 AUG 2011
© 2011 by Yale University
Journal of Industrial Ecology
Volume 15, Issue 6, pages 855–876, December 2011
How to Cite
Fischer-Kowalski, M., Krausmann, F., Giljum, S., Lutter, S., Mayer, A., Bringezu, S., Moriguchi, Y., Schütz, H., Schandl, H. and Weisz, H. (2011), Methodology and Indicators of Economy-wide Material Flow Accounting. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 15: 855–876. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2011.00366.x
- Issue published online: 5 DEC 2011
- Article first published online: 31 AUG 2011
- 1997. Resource flows: The material basis of industrial economies. Washington , DC : World Resources Institute. , , , , , , and .
- 1969. Production, consumption and externalities. American Economic Review 59(3): 282–297. and .
- 2003. Exergy, power and work in the US economy, 1900–1998. Energy 28(3): 219–273. , , and .
- 2007. The material basis of the global economy: Worldwide patterns of natural resource extraction and their implications for sustainable resource use policies. Ecological Economics 64(2): 444–453. , , , and .
- 1993. Towards increasing resource productivity: How to measure the total material consumption of regional or national economies. Fresenius Environmental Bulletin 2(8): 437–442.
- 2002. Material flow analysis. In A handbook of industrial ecology, edited by R. U. Ayres and L. W. Ayres. Cheltenham, UK : Edward Elgar. and .
- 1998a. Analysis for action: Support for policy towards sustainability by material flow accounting. Proceedings of the Conaccount Conference Sept. 11–12, 1997, Wuppertal. Wuppertal , Germany : Wuppertal Institute. , , , and .
- 1998b. The conaccount agenda: The concerted action on material flow analysis and its agenda for research and development. Wuppertal, Germany : Wuppertal Institute. , , , and .
- 2003. Rationale for and interpretation of economy-wide materials flow analysis and derived indicators. Journal of Industrial Ecology 7(2): 43–64. , , and .
- 2004. International comparison of resource use and its relation to economic growth: The development of total material requirement, direct material inputs and hidden flows and the structure of TMR. Ecological Economics 51(1–2): 97–124. , , , and .
- 2009. Europe's resource use: Basic trends, global and sectoral patterns and environmental and socioeconomic impacts. In Sustainable resource management: Global trends, visions and policies, edited by S. Bringezu and R. Bleischwitz. Sheffield, UK : Greenleaf. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Input-output analysis in the environmental-economic accounting: Calculation of raw material equivalents: Report for the Eurostat MFA task force. Luxembourg : Eurostat.
- 2000. Aggregation and the role of energy in the economy. Ecological Economics 32(2): 301–317. , , and .
- 1989. For the common good: Redirecting the economy toward community, the environment and a sustainable future. Boston : Beacon Press. and
- 2005. Waste treatment in physical input-output analysis. Ecological Economics 55(1): 11–23.
- 2010. The physical dimension of international trade: Part 1: Direct global flows between 1962 and 2005. Ecological Economics 69(9): 1838–1847. and .
- 1972. A bulletin dialogue on the “closing circle.” Critique: One-dimensional ecology. Science and Public Affairs—Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists 28(5): 16–27. and .
- Eurostat. 2001a. Economy-wide material flow accounts and derived indicators: A methodological guide. Luxembourg : Eurostat, European Commission, Office for Official Publications of the European Communities.
- Eurostat. 2001b. Material use indicators for the European Union, 1980–1997: Economy-wide material flow accounts and balances and derived indicators of resource use. Working Paper No. 2/2001/B/2, prepared by S. Bringezu and H. Schütz. Luxembourg : European Commission and Eurostat.
- Eurostat. 2002. Material use in the European Union 1980–2000: Indicators and analysis. Prepared by H. Weisz, M. Fischer-Kowalski, C. Amann, N. Eisenmenger, K. Hubacek, and F. Krausmann. Luxembourg : Eurostat, Office for Official Publications of the European Communities.
- Eurostat 2007a. Economy wide material flow accounts and resource productivity: EU15 1970–2004. Luxembourg : European Statistical Office.
- Eurostat 2007b. Economy-wide material flow accounting: A compilation guide. Luxembourg : European Statistical Office.
- Eurostat. 2008. Revised European strategy for environmental accounting. CPS 2008/68/7/EN. Luxembourg : Statistical Office of the European Communities.
- Eurostat 2009. Material flow data (MFA data collection 2007). Luxembourg : Eurostat.
- 1998. Society's metabolism: The intellectual history of material flow analysis, Part I: 1860–1970. Journal of Industrial Ecology 2(1): 61–78.
- 2007. The work of Konstantin G. Gofman and colleagues: An early example of material flow analysis from the Soviet Union. An English translation of “The economics of nature mangement” by K. G. Gofman (1974), with introductions by Marina Fischer-Kowalski and Elena V. Ryumina. Social Ecology Working Paper 94. Vienna : Institute of Social Ecology.
- 2001. Beyond IPAT and Kuznets curves: Globalization as a vital factor in analysing the environmental impact of socio-economic metabolism. Population and Environment 23(1): 7–47. and .
- 1998. Society's metabolism: The intellectual history of material flow analysis, Part II: 1970–1998. Journal of Industrial Ecology 2(4): 107–137. and .
- 2011. Decoupling the use of natural resources and environmental impacts from economic activity: Scoping the challenges. Nairobi : United Nations Environmment Programme. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Trade, material flows and economic development in the South: The example of Chile. Journal of Industrial Ecology 8(1–2): 241–261.
- 2006. Material flow-based indicators for evaluation of eco-efficiency and dematerialisation policies. In Sustainability indicators in ecological economics, edited by P. A. Lawn. Cheltenham , UK : Edward Elgar.
- 2004. North-south trade and the distribution of environmental goods and burdens: A biophysical perspective. Journal of Environment and Development 13(1): 73–100. and .
- 2004. Alternative approaches of physical input-output analysis to estimate primary material inputs of production and consumption activities. Economic Systems Research 16(3): 301–310. and .
- 2007. Physical trade flows of pollution-intensive products: Historical trends in Europe and the world. In Rethinking environmental history: World-system history and global environmental change, edited by A. Hornborg et al . Lanham , MD , US : Alta Mira Press. and .
- 2008. Modelling scenarios towards a sustainable use of natural resources in Europe. Environmental Science & Policy 11(3): 204–216. , , , , and .
- 1974. Die ökonomie der naturnutzung—aufgaben einer neuen wissenschaft. [The economics of nature management–challenges for a new science.] Nauka i shisn 6: 12–17. , , and .
- 2001. The energetic metabolism of societies, Part I: Accounting concepts. Journal of Industrial Ecology 5(1): 11–33.
- 2004. Progress towards sustainability? What the conceptual framework of material and energy flow accounting (MEFA) can offer. Land Use Policy 21(3): 199–213. , , , , and .
- 2006. The energetic metabolism of the European Union and the United States: Decadal energy input time-series with an emphasis on biomass. Journal of Industrial Ecology 10(4): 151–171. , , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Proposal of six indicators of material cycles for describing society's metabolism: From the viewpoint of material flow analysis. Resources, Conservation and Recycling 40(3): 185–200. and .
- 2004. Six indicators of material cycles for describing society's metabolism: Application to wood resources in Japan. Resources, Conservation and Recycling 40(3): 201–223. , , , and .
- 2009. Carbon footprint of nations: A global, trade-linked analysis. Environmental Science & Technology 43(16): 6414–6420. and .
- 2008. Globalization of water: Sharing the planet's freshwater resources. Malden , MA , USA : Blackwell. and .
- 2006. Constructing physical input-output tables for environmental modeling and accounting: Framework and illustrations. Ecological Economics 59(3): 375–393. and .
- 2006. Environmental impacts of consumption in the European Union: High-resolution input-output tables with detailed environmental extensions. Journal of Industrial Ecology 10(3): 129–146. , , , , , , and .
- Japan Environment Agency. 1992. Quality of the environment in Japan 1992. Tokyo : Japan Environment Association.
- 1998. CO2 emissions in Japan: Influences of imports and exports. Applied Energy 59(2–3): 163–174. , , and .
- 2008a. Global patterns of socioeconomic biomass flows in the year 2000: A comprehensive assessment of supply, consumption and constraints. Ecological Economics 65(3): 471–487. , , , , and .
- 2008b. The global socio-metabolic transition: Past and present metabolic profiles and their future trajectories. Journal of Industrial Ecology 12(5/6): 637–656. , , , and .
- 2009. Growth in global materials use, GDP and population during the 20th century. Ecological Economics 68(10): 2696–2705. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Modeling basic industries in the Australian stocks and flows framework. Journal of Industrial Ecology 8(4): 101–120. , , , and .
- 2004. CO2 multipliers in multi-region input-output models. Economic Systems Research 16(4): 391–412. , , and .
- 1987. Ecological economics: Energy, environment and society. Oxford , UK : Blackwell.
- 2000. The weight of nations: Material outflows from industrial economies. Washington , DC : World Resources Institute. , , , , , , , et al .
- 2006. Environmental implications of resource use: Environmental input-output analyses for Germany. Journal of Industrial Ecology 10(3): 25–40. and .
- 2009. Environmental pressures from European consumption and production: A study in integrated environmental and economic analysis. Copenhagen , Denmark : European Topic Centre on Sustainable Consumption and Production. and .
- 2002. Material flow analysis and industrial ecology studies in Japan. In A handbook of industrial ecology, edited by R. U. Ayres and L. W. Ayres. Cheltenham , UK : Edward Elgar.
- 2007. Material flow indicators to measure progress toward a sound material-cycle society. Journal of Material Cycles and Waste Management 9(2): 112–120.
- 2009. The sustainability of mining in Australia: Key production trends and their environmental implications for the future (updated version). Melbourne , Australia : Department of Civil Engineering, Monash University and the Mineral Policy Institute.
- 2009. The raw material equivalents of international trade. Journal of Industrial Ecology 13(6): 881–898. , , and .
- 2005. Waste input–output material flow analysis of metals in the Japanese economy. Materials Transactions 46(12): 2250–2553. and .
- 1991. Emergy and biogeochemical cycles. In Ecological physical chemistry: Proceedings of an international workshop held in Siena, Italy, 8–12 November 1990, edited by C. Rossi and E. Tiezzi. Amsterdam : Elsevier.
- OECD (Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development). 2004. Recommendation of the council on material flows and resource productivity. Paris : OECD.
- OECD. 2008a. Measuring material flows and resource productivity: Volume 1. The OECD guide. Paris : OECD.
- OECD. 2008b. Measuring material flows and resource productivity: Volume 2. The accounting framework. Paris : OECD.
- OECD. 2008c. Measuring material flows and resource productivity: Volume 3. Inventory of country activities. Paris : OECD.
- OECD. 2011. Glossary of statistical terms. http://stats.oecd.org/glossary/detail.asp?ID=998. Accessed June 2011.
- 1999. Physical input-output tables for Denmark: Products and materials 1990. Air emissions 1990–92. Copenhagen , Denmark : Statistics Denmark.
- 2008. Material flows in Latin America: A comparative analysis of Chile, Ecuador, Mexico and Peru (1980–2000). Journal of Industrial Ecology 12(5–6): 704–720. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Der Rohmaterialbedarf des österreichischen Außenhandels. [The raw material requirements of Austrian foreign trade.] , 1-forthcoming. Social ecology working paper. Vienna , Austria : IFF Social Ecology. , , and .
- 2006. Regional patterns in global resource extraction. Journal of Industrial Ecology 10(4): 133–147. and .
- 2009. The dematerialization potential of the Australian economy. Journal of Industrial Ecology 13(6): 863–880. and .
- 2010. Resource use and resource efficiency in the Asia-Pacific region. Global Environmental Change 20: 636–647. and .
- 2008. Australia's resource use trajectories. Journal of Industrial Ecology 12(5–6): 669–686. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Globalisation and the shifting environmental burden. Wuppertal , Germany : Wuppertal Institute for Climate, Environment, Energy. , , and .
- 2003. Forest resource trade between Japan and Southeast Asia: The structure of dual decay. Ecological Economics 45(1): 91–104. and .
- SERI (Sustainable Europe Research Institute). 2009. Global resource extraction 1980 to 2007. Online database. Vienna , Austria : SERI.
- 1997. Physische input-output-tabellen (piot) 1990. [Physical input-output tables (piot).] Wiesbaden , Germany : Statistisches Bundesamt. , , and .
- 2009. Decoupling GDP from resource use, resource productivity and competitiveness: A cross-country comparison. In Sustainable growth and resource productivity: Economic and global policy issues, edited by R. Bleischwitz et al . Sheffield , UK : Greenleaf. and .
- 2010. Global patterns of material use: A socioeconomic and geophysical analysis. Ecological Economics 69(5): 1148–1158. , , and .
- 1992. Stoffstrombilanz Österreich 1988. [Material flow balance for Austria 1988.] Social ecology working paper 26. Vienna , Austria : IFF Social Ecology.
- 2004. A note on the calculus for physical input–output analysis and its application to land appropriation of international trade activities. Ecological Economics 48(1): 9–17.
- 2005. Theory of materials and energy flow analysis in ecology and economics. Ecological Modelling 189(3–4): 251–269.
- Suh, S. Ed. 2010. Handbook on input-output economics in industrial ecology. Berlin : Springer.
- 2004. Dematerialization: Not just a matter of weight. Journal of Industrial Ecology 8(4): 121–137. , , and .
- 2002. Materials in the economy-material flows, scarcity, and the environment. U.S. Geological Survey Circular 1221: 1–29.
- 2009. Assessing socioeconomic metabolism through hybrid life cycle assessment: The case of the Czech Republic. Journal of Industrial Ecology 13(4): 607–621. and .
- 2007. Combining social metabolism and input-output analyses to account for ecologically unequal trade. In Rethinking environmental history: World system history and global environmental change, edited by A. Hornborg et al . Walnut Creek , CA , USA : AltaMira.
- 2006. Physical and monetary input-output analysis: What makes the difference? Ecological Economics 57(3): 534–541. and .
- 2006. The physical economy of the European Union: Cross-country comparison and determinants of material consumption. Ecological Economics 58(4): 676–698. , , , , , and , .
- 2007. Economy-wide material flow accounting: A compilation guide. Luxembourg : Eurostat. , , , , , and .
- 2003. The biomass metabolism of the food system: A model-based survey of the global and regional turnover of food biomass. Journal of Industrial Ecology 7(1): 47–80.
- 2003. STIRPAT, IPAT and ImPACT: Analytic tools for unpacking the driving forces of environmental impacts. Ecological Economics 46(3): 351–365. , , and .
- 2007. 3R strategies for the establishment of an international sound material-cycle society. Journal of Material Cycles and Waste Management 9(2): 101–111. , , and .